Just purchased a Military trailer to build a family hauler

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
A beautiful day to work on the trailer, so I took the Jerry can and mount sitting in the basement and painted it.
It was going on my 116A2 trailer but that trailer went to a new home.

I moved the first aid box higher on the tub and bolted the jerry can holder on the drivers side front.
The small 2.5 gallon Blitz jerry can fits well beneath the cover lip and blends in with the red tub.

Attachments

• JERRY CAN 001.JPG
    JERRY CAN 001.JPG
    293.7 KB · Views: 122
  • JERRY CAN 002.JPG
    JERRY CAN 002.JPG
    320.7 KB · Views: 122
  • JERRY CAN 003.JPG
    JERRY CAN 003.JPG
    230.7 KB · Views: 111

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
I was going to paint the can anouther color due to the fact it is for 2 cycle fuel for the generator.

Yellow.....same as the generator.
Blue........That is for water
Green......No that is NATO
Red.........Never to much red!

A black holder and strap to accent the can.

As for the strap, I had a buckled hold down for a canoe but it was configured in a loop.
I cut off the odd end and took it to the local seamstress and asked if she could sew it for me.

In five minutes she had the bobbin wound with black thread and the strap sewn. she asked for $2.00 and I was a happy customer.
I asked if she could do canvas on her machine and she showed me the industrial Singer in the corner. She said " I can do leather too"
I may be seeing her for some custom canves covers and rainflys.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Took the family to Erie this past weekend and the trailer tagged along. I backed up onto the sand and set up shop.
We cooked burgers and the girls napped in the tent out orf the sun. We are taking short shake down trips to see what we need and what can stay home.
Even though the trailer is larger than most, it just follows the crew cab where ever we go.

The umbrella is going to be replaced with a rain fly or sun shade with poles mounted on the side and rear.
a toilet tent and shower encloser are on the list as well. The camp kitchen has been re designed for more usefullness and is still in production.

If anyone has any suggestions please reply.

Attachments

• tent 6.JPG
    tent 6.JPG
    135.1 KB · Views: 149
  • tent 1.JPG
    tent 1.JPG
    176.7 KB · Views: 157
  • tent 3.JPG
    tent 3.JPG
    164.5 KB · Views: 148

Mojavejohn

Adventurer
looks good
Took the family to Erie this past weekend and the trailer tagged along. I backed up onto the sand and set up shop.
We cooked burgers and the girls napped in the tent out orf the sun. We are taking short shake down trips to see what we need and what can stay home.
Even though the trailer is larger than most, it just follows the crew cab where ever we go.

The umbrella is going to be replaced with a rain fly or sun shade with poles mounted on the side and rear.
a toilet tent and shower encloser are on the list as well. The camp kitchen has been re designed for more usefullness and is still in production.

If anyone has any suggestions please reply.

DblD

Adventurer
I received three more build items today from my favorite shop, Ebay!
1. 7 prong plug with sealed eight foot cord.
2. The steel channel for the receiver and lunette.
3. two 3/8" snap hooks for the safety chains.

Mark,

I think you mentioned you got this part off e-bay. Do you recall how you found it or what to search for to possibly find another? Also, does it bolt directly into the trailer tongue? Would love to find one of these for my trailer.

1373597042_lunette_hitch.jpg

Thanks,
dd

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
dd:

I purchased the adjustible channel from ebay.
the V shaped part is original from my 101A2 trailer.
I removed the landing leg, cut it shorter then welded the channel to it.

The M101A2 tongue V's do show up on ebay or there are several builders here that removed theirs for custom couplers.

Check the parts section on Steelsoldiers.com for a nose V

This is the channel:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Trailer-Pin...ies&hash=item51a5c0f171&vxp=mtr#ht_2098wt_988

Mark

DblD

Adventurer
Ah, very good info. Following your build over on Steel Soldier with better pictures of the welded up trailer tongue.

Thanks,

dd

Dirtytires

Explorer
A beautiful day to work on the trailer, so I took the Jerry can and mount sitting in the basement and painted it.
It was going on my 116A2 trailer but that trailer went to a new home.

I moved the first aid box higher on the tub and bolted the jerry can holder on the drivers side front.
The small 2.5 gallon Blitz jerry can fits well beneath the cover lip and blends in with the red tub.

Mark that looks sweet as cherry pie.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
A few more items added to the trailer.

1. as you can see in the first picture I can't have the paper towels blowing around and on the ground.
So I bent up a paper towel holder and welded it to the rack upright above the cook stove. Works well and keeps the roll
from getting dirty or blowing away.

2. I have a 2 gallon water cooler that is bulky and needed a spot.......I bought a horse water bucket hanger off ebay
cut it apart and welded a 1 1/4" square tube to it that slips into my side receivers. Keeps it handy and stationary.

I still need to get a mattress for the tent and I think I may go with interlocking exercise mat or get a custom 7 x 7 made at the mattress shop.
I want to have everyone enjoy sleeping in the tent and want to go camping more often.

Attachments

• tent 6.JPG
    tent 6.JPG
    135.1 KB · Views: 102
  • welding project 001.JPG
    welding project 001.JPG
    170.2 KB · Views: 106
  • welding project 002.JPG
    welding project 002.JPG
    135 KB · Views: 104
  • welding project 003.JPG
    welding project 003.JPG
    148.8 KB · Views: 103
  • welding project 004.JPG
    welding project 004.JPG
    131.5 KB · Views: 105
  • welding project 006.JPG
    welding project 006.JPG
    204.7 KB · Views: 103

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Already taken care of........A RED 5 gallon bucket and bucket seat.
and a shelter for when nature calls " or you need to change or shower.

Three ladies in my family so You have to take care of them.
I wanted a black or RED shelter but this was a steal at $24.99 on ebay.

Attachments

• mSQstc3xmFlAIVbNT_B9iJA.jpg
    mSQstc3xmFlAIVbNT_B9iJA.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 1,097
  • $(KGrHqNHJE!FGv1CVnp1BRslCpjCyw~~60_35.jpg
    $(KGrHqNHJE!FGv1CVnp1BRslCpjCyw~~60_35.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 1,099

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179