Just purchased a Military trailer to build a family hauler

Dirtytires

Explorer
I think you should get some red spray paint and spray the Igloo cooler red.

Looks like a labor or love . Nice Job,

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
I do love this trailer and as with all of my toys it have become part of the family.
We take it on weekend trips and even cook outs.

Tumbleweed

Adventurer
On one of my prior M100 trailers I made a swing out lantern/coat/towel/whatever holder. Took a T hinge and welded some 1/8 x 1 steel strap to it and notched a groove near the end. Sorry, no pics of it survived. You could mount it to your uprights and fold it out of the way when not in use. A nut welded to the hinge makes a stop for it turning too far. A bungie cord or similar should be easy to come up with to keep it open. Or, make it to mount with a keeper pin like on your tongue?
I also mounted a spare tire mount under the front of the bed from a Dodge pickup. Crank up cable. I kept the extensions for the crank and made some guides for it. Could raise or lower the spare with the ratchet handle without getting under the trailer.
Another idea for a paper towel holder is a small 1/8 cable plastic covered, loops on both ends, strung between two upright surfaces; and attach with 1/4" quick disconnect pins on the ends to a small angle bracket. Hint: A bungie cord through the center of a roll of paper towels will work similar.

evilmonkey

Mark, I bought a M101A2 for 150.00 (could not pass it up) and have started modifying to meet my needs. I just want to say thank you for this write up on your trailer and i am going to use some of your ideas. Your idea for the U-channel mount is great.

So today I removed the surge brake, and cut the drop leg off the A-frame bracket.
10520859803_702003216c.jpg

Then I grinded off the the excess and cleaned up the A-frame bracket.
10520742894_058640f6d1.jpg

Tomorrow while I'm at work, I'm going to drop off the U-channel mount and A-frame bracket at our Fab shop and have them weld it up.
10520760195_d731740484.jpg

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
$150.00 is a awesome deal.
The u channel hitch was the easiest way to make the trailer more adaptable to other tow vehicles
and reduced tongue weight.

Start a build blog and I will follow along.

PMA4x4

Adventurer
hey Mark, Ive been reading thru your threads here and over at Steel Soldier (just joined SS today). I just got a M116A3 flatbed for pretty much free. I had purchased a couple pallets of 24 Bolt HMMV wheels and the guys asked if I could use a trailer so he tossed it in with the deal.

I have already started the thread for it here
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/119511-M116-Military-Trailer-Build

I have a question in regards to your brakes. After you removed the brakes it looks like you are not using any trailer brakes at all. Have you noticed that extra weight when trying to stop? I have yet to do a full tear down and inspection but my trailer is in (IMO) excellent condition with little rust and everything works freely as it should. I would not mind dumping the extra tongue weight off with the brake system but having brakes is a nice idea.

RagnarD

Adventurer
I copied Marks brake removal on my 101. Your answer depends on the tow vehicle. I pull mine with a 1/2 ton (Tundra) and I notice it but it stops fine when loaded.

I would add electric brakes if it was as easy and bolting them on and running some wires.

Even if my surge brakes worked, I probably would have removed them because of need to lock out the system to back it up. If you demo the surge brake system, keep the drums, backing plates, and park levers!

PMA4x4

Adventurer
I copied Marks brake removal on my 101. Your answer depends on the tow vehicle. I pull mine with a 1/2 ton (Tundra) and I notice it but it stops fine when loaded.

I would add electric brakes if it was as easy and bolting them on and running some wires.

Even if my surge brakes worked, I probably would have removed them because of need to lock out the system to back it up. If you demo the surge brake system, keep the drums, backing plates, and park levers!

Never thought about the backing up issues especially if you are on rough terrain and the tires grab. Ok its going for sure. I have a 91 Suburban with big 3/4ton brakes. Yeah I had planned if the surge brakes go I am keeping the drums and levers for parking.

My build just got started today
http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...-Military-Trailer-Build?p=1476616#post1476616

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179