Kid broke his arm

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
My wife called me at work today, she had to go pick up my son at the babysitters and take him to the hospital. He fell on the swing set and broke his arm. Poor kid. But I tell you, having a cranky 4 year old screaming his head off sure gets you through triage fast! I got there just as he was getting Xrayed. Pretty amazing, it's digital these days. Apparently he has a greenstick fracture on... I can't remember which bone. Near his elbow. They put him in a fiberglass half-cast, and set us up with an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon for Tuesday. They were in and out in 1.5 hours (so much for our "crappy" socialized medicine, total cost was $7, for parking).

I'm sort of surprised, he didn't fall very far. Not sure what's up with that. I think his feet were only about 12" off the ground. (he was standing on a swing) I had to comfort the babysitter, she was really upset. Same thing I told the doctors. Hey, it happens. He was doing a kid appropriate activity, and he fell and suffered, as far as I'm concerned, a relatively minor injury. I'm not going to get upset about it. If he'd ran out into the highway, I'd be upset. If he's outside getting grass-stains on his pants instead of watching TV, I'm all for it.

Don't know what we're going to do next week now. My folks were going to stay for the week to watch the kids and my wife and I were going to get a MUCH needed vacation, and go on a trip in the truck. Our first. I'm not sure if we can now. :(

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
He will view the broken arm as a novelty by tomorrow. Go on the trip... your parents are protective types anyway, right?

Uglyduck

Adventurer
+1, go for it, provided the folks are still willing to sit for you. Did they give him anything for pain?
My daughter broke her collar bone at 2 and it didn't slow her down, we had to keep her on a short leash to keep from aggravating it which took a little more energy than usual.

ThomD

Explorer
I thought they were supposed to bounce at that age.

Take the trip - let the grandparents spoil him.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Oh, pain, yeah they told us to give him Advil for the swelling and pain, and Tylenol if he needs it for the pain. This morning he was fine, but started complaining about it itching already. And the dosage was slightly high, I was surprised. Like 1 1/2 children's Advil (160mg), and 3 of the children's tylenols (240mg).

12husky

Adventurer
I seem to have busted and broken everything growing up and feel I am better for it today. I don't consider it a proper childhood unless you had stitches, staples, or a cast! By the time I was older my mom had gotten so used to it that when my friends drove me to the ER for a severely broken hand her response was just 'drop him off at the house when you're done.'

I would say as long as he is calm, go for the trip. He will enjoy the time with his grandparents who will spoil him even more now.

Best of luck and post pictures of the signed cast!

~Matt

D

Deleted member 9101

"Greenstick" fractures are really not that hard to get, just depends on how he landed. I have gotten them from running a marathon before, ya dont' even have to fall to get them...lol.

I really hope the little fella gets better quick. I woudl ask a Doctor first, but a protein supplement can aid int he healing process.

d1sc0ver

Adventurer
I thought they were supposed to bounce at that age.

Take the trip - let the grandparents spoil him.

x2

My daughter fractured her arm at age 5. She tried to scale a doggie gate blocking a doorway. I saw her a split second too late, she was standing on the top of the doggie gate when it let go, she tried to brace the fall w/ her hand and got a spiral fracture.

Most amusing part of the story came later that same day. She was walking around the house, mezmerized by and staring at her flourescent green cast, when she tripped over her little sister, split her lip and busted out a front tooth by face planting into the cast.

The split lip and lost tooth were much more traumatic (to her) than the broken arm.

RETROFIT

Observer
They were in and out in 1.5 hours (so much for our "crappy" socialized medicine, total cost was $7, for parking).

Don't know what we're going to do next week now. My folks were going to stay for the week to watch the kids and my wife and I were going to get a MUCH needed vacation, and go on a trip in the truck. Our first. I'm not sure if we can now. :(

I feel for you man ... But go on the trip ... Kids will be happy to see you when you come back and having relaxed and loving parents is where a family starts.

And for the "crappy" socialized medicine, we took our son in when he got diagnosed with type 1 diabetes and it cost us a big 30$ for one week of parking and the service was extraordinary ...

Enjoy the time off, I'm envious !

Pat

AxeAngel

Expedition Leader
Rob,

Hope he makes a speedy recovery. You need him to get better fast. Isn't he your second set of hands in the garage?

Good thing he broke his arm outside on the swings as opposed to in the garage with you. The wife would never let you hear the end of it.

-Sam

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I think we're going to compromise. We'll head out after the appointment on Tuesday. I just think it would be weird for my parents to take him to the doctor. "This isn't your child is it?" "No, we're his grandparents." "Where are his parents?" "They went on vacation!"

But also because he was really freaked out yesterday. He really doesn't like hospitals. Really. I don't know how he'd be. Also I'm a bit nervous about the truck, I want to spend a bit more time going over it before we go.

My parents will come give us a hand, Tuesday after the doctors, they'll take the kids up to the cottage, we'll go camping for 3-4 days and then meet them up there for the long weekend.

Hope he makes a speedy recovery. You need him to get better fast. Isn't he your second set of hands in the garage?

Actually, last week, I thought I had a job for him. Crawl up under the dash, and put this nut on the bolt for the master cylinder when I stick it through. It was going to be perfect but... he was nervous about it and didn't want to for some reason. Oh well, it'll come.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior