Kingdom Campers?

Sendit6.5

I ran into “Kingdom Campers” at the 2022 Overland Expo Mtn west. I was really intrigued by their campers and their off-grid capability. Especially their claim that their solar/battery system would allow the use of AC (some Dometic model) 24hrs per day. Since I live in South Texas, where the devil comes to cool down, the ability to stay off-grid for several days without needing a generator sounds like heaven!

Unfortunately, I can’t seem to find much info on their models outside of their own YouTube channel. So, I thought I’d reach out here - maybe some of y’all’s have some insight and recommendations? I’m particularly interested in their newer dual axle camper.

I tried to see if I could find any used model deals for sale - as an indication whether they’re hold their value relatively well. I couldn’t find ANY for sale. That could be a great indicator but it doesn’t help me when considering one as my VERY FIRST trailer purchase.

Anyone have any experience with them?

Thanks to anyone that answers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rehammer81

You need to search on here for Treefarmer. They are the original Kingdom Camping XL build and the ones that worked closely with Kingdom in the design. There is only one complete XL in existence with one in the build process. It is a phenomenal build for the price.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

carleton

Here you go:

Looks super cool, also checks a lot of my boxes as well.
Just searched, and they are not listed as a vendor at Overland Expo Flagstaff this year (maybe he just goes to the Colorado one), unless he's hanging out in the campground.

I just need these things to be produced enough that they hit the used market so I can buy one......that'll take a few years though.

rehammer81

These rigs are also being built to order and I suspect the people ordering are in it for the long haul unlike someone deciding to go down to the local dealer and pick up a trailer. I wouldn't count on seeing a used one for a long while.

DFNDER

I’m sure Jamin, the owner, would be happy to provide any info you need. Contact info is on their website. This is a tiny boutique builder. We’ll be in the ground before you will spot a used one on a lot.

Treefarmer

I ran into “Kingdom Campers” at the 2022 Overland Expo Mtn west. I was really intrigued by their campers and their off-grid capability. Especially their claim that their solar/battery system would allow the use of AC (some Dometic model) 24hrs per day. Since I live in South Texas, where the devil comes to cool down, the ability to stay off-grid for several days without needing a generator sounds like heaven!

Unfortunately, I can’t seem to find much info on their models outside of their own YouTube channel. So, I thought I’d reach out here - maybe some of y’all’s have some insight and recommendations? I’m particularly interested in their newer dual axle camper.

I tried to see if I could find any used model deals for sale - as an indication whether they’re hold their value relatively well. I couldn’t find ANY for sale. That could be a great indicator but it doesn’t help me when considering one as my VERY FIRST trailer purchase.

Anyone have any experience with them?

Thanks to anyone that answers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I responded to your message to me on the conversation side as well.

With the 12v Dometic AC, a large solar/battery system on any trailer will run for a long time off of solar/batteries. The XL comes with a huge solar array and lithium battery bank (2000+watts/1,100+AH). Unit #2 is due to be delivered in June to NomadNorman (he's here on EP). He's a hot climate dweller like you as well. I know these units hold heat in cold weather for a long time. We haven't run the AC yet (other than as a test at delivery), but I'm anticipating that it will hold the cool for a long time in hot weather as well.

I'd say look for exactly what you want/need in a trailer and pay up for it if you can. We ended up with Kingdom because it was the only dual axle off road trailer on the market that gave us everything we needed and nothing we didn't need. In general, no RV will give you a great return on investment. One advantage The KIngdom Camping XL has over the competition is that they come out of the gate at a much better price than anything comparable. I think Jamin is at $100k now for these trailers fully loaded and pretty customizable (you can even put a wood stove in them if you want!). Not inexpensive by any measure, but compare that pricing to the other large dual axle off road trailers currently on the market. Starting new with a reasonable cost and high end quality can only help with resale value. Both us and Nomad Norman are fulltiming with these trailers, and that's the type of buyer that Kingdom camping attracts with these builds. So, short of any life changing events, there probably won't (hopefully) be any available on the used market for a while.?

Sendit6.5

I responded to your message to me on the conversation side as well.

With the 12v Dometic AC, a large solar/battery system on any trailer will run for a long time off of solar/batteries. The XL comes with a huge solar array and lithium battery bank (2000+watts/1,100+AH). Unit #2 is due to be delivered in June to NomadNorman (he's here on EP). He's a hot climate dweller like you as well. I know these units hold heat in cold weather for a long time. We haven't run the AC yet (other than as a test at delivery), but I'm anticipating that it will hold the cool for a long time in hot weather as well.

I'd say look for exactly what you want/need in a trailer and pay up for it if you can. We ended up with Kingdom because it was the only dual axle off road trailer on the market that gave us everything we needed and nothing we didn't need. In general, no RV will give you a great return on investment. One advantage The KIngdom Camping XL has over the competition is that they come out of the gate at a much better price than anything comparable. I think Jamin is at $100k now for these trailers fully loaded and pretty customizable (you can even put a wood stove in them if you want!). Not inexpensive by any measure, but compare that pricing to the other large dual axle off road trailers currently on the market. Starting new with a reasonable cost and high end quality can only help with resale value. Both us and Nomad Norman are fulltiming with these trailers, and that's the type of buyer that Kingdom camping attracts with these builds. So, short of any life changing events, there probably won't (hopefully) be any available on the used market for a while.?
Makes PERFECT SENSE. All of what you said; and I really appreciate the input. Let me ask you one more question before I reach out to Kingdom after this holiday weekend….

Using your previous experience(s) what type of depreciation would you GUESS would occur after 1 year and, then, after 2 years on one of these new XL builds? Let’s assume, for this example, you got one built that’s pretty tricked out and it cost $100k… would you likely expect to be able to sell it for $80k after one year and $70k after 2 years? Assuming it’s in good shape, of course. Or would you guess you’d get more back or less back?

This is both a guess and a hypothetical. So, I’m not looking to hold ya to it. Just asking for an educated GUESS!

I’m going to reach out to Nomad and try to set up a visit to their facility in the next couple months. I want to look at them as well as the Palamino Pause. It’s a more expensive option but I think a little more available - worth looking at before I decide.

The upfront cost isn’t really a concern for me. What concerns me, since I’ve never owned or lived in a camper/trailer is what the depreciation/expected loss would be if I find I don’t like the lifestyle after a year or two. Losing something like 20% after a year or two is tolerable but I’m wondering if I need to prepare myself for something like a 50% loss should I decide to sell it a year or two later. I’m clueless about the camper market and this especially niche segment in particular. That’s why I’m fishing for advice here - where people don’t have selfish ulterior motives in regard to this question.

Last edited:

Obsessed2findARuggedHybid

Boy that's a tough question. I am speculating that so much depends on the economy and interest rates. This off road trailer market was so hot and prices a demand just kept climbing until covid started to get under control and instest rates went up. Then the new Xplore s and Pauses came to market at a very high price . 125 k - 165k. I believe that these prices have come down a tad due to being over priced to begin with and the market slowing. I bet anyone who bought these rigs at the original price have lost a bit more in depreciation then your example.

Just the fact that the Kingdom Camping XL is so much less money I would think re selling would open up the number of potential buyers. It's not like Xplore or Pause has a " Toyota " type reputation that would garner less depreciation.

Treefarmer will give you a better answer I promise.

rehammer81

This type of rig and the higher cost they run are a niche market to begin with. You are already facing a small subset of the people in the market for an RV that can stomach the price of this type of trailer over your mass produced traditional units. This is why the off-road market has been able to sustain the premium price even on imports from Chinese manufacturing.

The good thing for resale is the type of people that are going to buy these trailers, new or used, are probably a bit more knowledgeable and know what they are looking for and the premium cost to get it. They will also know that used units for the high end models are rare. From what I have seen, used high end units typically sell for a pretty good asking price because the buyers know it will be awhile before another opportunity will present itself.

I've seen 10+ year old Kimberley Karavans sell for over $50k. At the time of original purchase those units I think were around the $80k ish realm with the favorable US to Australia $ conversion. Now a new Karavan will cost you over $100k but likely take months to get if being ordered. It is rare to see a used Karavan up for sale though so they typically get interest fairly quickly because the used unit is cheaper than new and available for pickup.

Treefarmer

I would start off by saying anyone interested in an RV should focus entirely on getting the model that most closely meets exactly the way you will be camping and the ability of your camping tribe to handle close spaces. If you do this, you'll end up with something that you'll get a lot of use out of for a lot of years. Resale value then becomes the lowest priority in the decision.

Like the comments above noted there are many variables that go into resale and even more anecdotal stories about successes and failures at resale. It seems to me scarcity, brand identity, being able to find the right buyer, and having reasonable up front costs will be the most important factors in how much you recoup your investment.

Scarcity: There just aren't a lot of dual axle off road trailers on the market. Based on that, it seems that when a used one comes up for sale, they are scooped up pretty fast. We just sold a 2012 New Horizons that was a very unique model on a brand that is well known and in high demand. It sold in three days to the first person who looked at it.
Brand Identity: Airstreams are famous for their resale value even though the price/quality ratio is too high. People will just put up the cash for older units. They aren't scarce, but they seem to hold resale value fairly well. The dual axle off road trailers available in the US are fairly new brands to the US. Even the older Australian brands haven't been available here for very long. So they are just starting to establish their brand identities, and it's mostly good so far.
Finding the right buyer: With forums like this and RV Trader, selling a unique trailer is easier than it ever has been. If you have something unique, you're more likely to be found by the right buyer these days, helping resale.
Up front costs: The more you pay up front, the harder it is recoup the value in a resale. As you go up in price you just have fewer buyers, regardless of how awesome your trailer may be.

How does Kingdom Camping stack up? Well they definitely have scarcity nailed. They will never build very many of these two axle units. I suspect that when one comes up for sale it will be because the owners had a lifestyle change and don't need the capabilities of the trailer anymore. I suspect we we tried to sell ours and let it be known on here and one RVTrader that it was available, we would be able to sell it easily for what we paid for it. You may be able to say the same thing about the Roamer1, X195, Pause, and Kimberly, but they start off so much more expensive than the Kingdom that your at a resale disadvantage right out of the gate. Notre that the smaller, less expensive X22s seem to sell used pretty fast. That's not because of superior quality to these other dual axles, it's due to the favorable pricing.

So if you list a slightly used Kingdom XL for $100k a few years from now, and have an extensive list of all of the standard components it comes with and even some mods you may have done, I think you'll sell it pretty fast. Even if society collapses it may keep its value better than most. It's a solid alternative living unit. Especially since it slightly larger than the competitors while staying under 10,000 lbs GVWR. That little bit of extra interior size makes a real psychological difference.

But I'll repeat. Joy won't come from how much you can resell a trailer for. It will come from finding something you really want to use.

rebar

Adventurer
Man, I wish they offered a twin axle toyhauler version for half the price of the XR22. The quality looks second to none.

Motomax

Anyone have any experience with the Adventure Pro Mini 2? Really considering this trailer and wondering if there’s anything worth adding or changing on the trailer configuration.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior