KM2 Review

I'm so impressed with the new BFG KM2's so far that I felt complelled to let everone know how awsome they are.

First I have to start at the tires I had before.

Early on I was running 235/75/15 BFG AT's. I always thought they rode ok, with just a small amount of road noise. Well I had that confirmed when I installed the used, but very evenly worn 33/10.5/15 BFG MT's. The road vibrations were very pronounced! Even my HVAC vents vibrated and made an obnoxious noise. Since this is a daily driver it became the baine of my daily routine; however I chalked it up to "the down side of owning a wheeling rig".

Fast forward a few months: It was time to choose my next set of tires and I was a bit hesitant to run anther MT, especially since this was my DD. I started to tell myself that the A/T would be my best bet to keep the daily commute bearable. Well a couple of reviews, and comments from friends, steered me towards the KM2.

Fast forward a few more months: After a TON of phone calls and internet searches, I was finally in possession of the new KM2s. 2 weeks later they were installed. To say that they run smoothly for a Mud Tire is an understatement. I would say they run smoothly compared to most agressive AT's, including my former BFG ATs!! In fact I have a friend with a Grand Cherokee with some not very aggressive AT's and these KM2's run smoother than those!! And the best part; no more vibrations in my HVAC vents....AAHHHHH..... :D

Needless to say I'm extremely pleased with the on road ride of these tires so far. I hope with regular rotations & balacing (after trail runs) these tires will keep their on road manners.

100_1592%20(Medium).jpg

100_1591%20(Medium).jpg

100_1590%20(Medium).jpg

100_1588%20(Medium).jpg

100_1589%20(Medium).jpg

ExpoMike

Nice, looks good on your rig.

Do you happen to have any more pics of your rear bumper, mainly the corners? I have been thinking of doing a similar wrap guard to protect the corners. Don't see many XJ's with them so I am trying to get some ideas.

Thanks! :D

BigDaveZJ

Adventurer
I've been equally impressed with my 35 KM2's. My ZJ is normally a trailer queen, but I've had it up to 75mph on the highway and it smoother than it has in a LOOOOONG time. Can't wait to get these out on the trail.

Nice, looks good on your rig.

Do you happen to have any more pics of your rear bumper, mainly the corners? I have been thinking of doing a similar wrap guard to protect the corners. Don't see many XJ's with them so I am trying to get some ideas.

Thanks! :D

Thanks. All the pics you could want of my rear bumper located here

I've been equally impressed with my 35 KM2's. My ZJ is normally a trailer queen, but I've had it up to 75mph on the highway and it smoother than it has in a LOOOOONG time. Can't wait to get these out on the trail.

Yeah, I find myself traveling a bit faster as well. Hopefully they stay smooth with regular rotation and care, but I'm sure wheeling them will bring back the road noise and A/C vent chatter.

Clark White

Explorer
Have you guys had any balancing problems with the KM2's? I trying to replace my 33x9.5 AT's and they were impossible to balance, hoping if i get a set of 33x10.5 KM2's I won't have that problem!

Thanks!
Clark

No problem here. As a matter of fact, I've been hearing of some guys balancing out with 1-2oz's. Most of mine took 4oz. My last MT's took 10-14oz each :Wow1:

Clark White

Explorer
Wow, thats pretty impressive! Mine litterly couldn't be balanced. We got them close, smooth under 65mph, but over 67 feels like the Millenium Falcon during re-entry...

Clark

7wt

Expedition Leader
Yea, I am pretty interested in how they wear also. By the time I am ready for new shoes you will have some good beta on the KM2's wear. They look great by the way.

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
Mine took anywhere from 3-7 oz. to balance. Might be because my tires are a bit bigger.

01tundra

Explorer
I'm running 37" x 17" KM2's on Trailready HD 17 bead lock wheels with no balancing weights, they are very smooth all the way up to 80 MPH.

corax

Explorer
Any updates or long term impressions? I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on new rubber and keep see-sawing between A/T KOs and KM2s (this'll be the wife's car whenever the weather's bad this winter, and I've heard the ATs do better on slick roads / ice)

off-roader

Expedition Leader
I'm running 35x12.5x15's on my 96 Montero :Wow1: and they're very 'civilized' :ylsmoke:but be careful with keeping them balanced.

I found my original BFG MT KM's (33x12.5x15) were just as nice & quiet when new but grew much louder as they aged (still have them on my other 'Red' Montero in the 2nd picture above). I presume it's due in part to a combination of less tread and sometimes being unbalanced for a week or two such that the tread wore unevenly.

01tundra

Explorer
Just took my 37's off and went to 40's. As with the 37's, the 40's are smooth at 75MPH on the interstate with no balancing, quiet, and perform great on & off road. These are the best dual-purpose tire on the market IMO. They are so much better than the Kevlar MT/R's is every single aspect.

40.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle