LA-Barstow to Vegas on Vintage CT90s

gabepari

Explorer
So, after a little breaking in, I discovered that the charging system was not performing well enough. The bike would cut out when the headlight was on. A little diagnostics showed the stator had a shorted winding...
IMG_2193.jpg

Riding over 500 miles in the desert, we are bound to need some light :) So apart she comes AGAIN!!! Note, this was just a few days ago. A quick trip down to "Hippies" house to pick up a stator from a donor motor and we are up and running again.
IMG_2194.jpg

Quick shot of the GPS, running off a NiteRider bicycle headlight battery pack, before going home tonight.
IMG_2198.jpg

This has definitely been a fun prep project. Can't wait to see how we all do this weekend.

Gabe

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Yes, Gabe has done some incredible work prepping his bike and i think he's rebuilt just as much if not more than i have. He'll be joining me and my other buddy on this adventure which isn't a member of this board.

The 3rd bike is a modified version with a 125cc ATC electric start motor instead of the stock motor. It's pretty wild and well thought out. I'll see if i can get photos of it.

3 guys, 500 miles, 40 year old disposable bikes- can't wait to see the video... and the title!
Will it be... "Slow Way Round" or "Barstow to Vegas: Pushing my Bike" ?

Like I'm one to talk after last years DV trip...

:lurk:

gabepari

Explorer
Disposable!!?!??! Let's see what that stupid 950 looks like in 35 years :)

3 guys, 500 miles, 40 year old disposable bikes- can't wait to see the video... and the title!
Will it be... "Slow Way Round" or "Barstow to Vegas: Pushing my Bike" ?

Like I'm one to talk after last years DV trip...

:lurk:

teotwaki

Excelsior!
So, after a little breaking in, I discovered that the charging system was not performing well enough. The bike would cut out when the headlight was on.

Ha! That sounds like an ancient VW van even when it was factory fresh!

Am looking forward to more about this adventure. :lurk:

fluffyprinceton

Adventurer
Good for you!

Some unsolicited advice - those boots will be terrible walking alongside the bike in 1st low. Deep sand...lots of deep sand washes in the Mojave + skinny tire + 7hp + well fed rider = y'all be walking son...
Embrace the walkalong - it's the best thing about these bikes - you can lift & scramble walk these things places nothing short of a Rokon can go, and safely. Also the helmet is too heavy & restricting for this sort of bike. At least bring lighter gear so you can switch after the first wash...Best of luck & thanks for bringing these bikes to attention. MoeTheHappyHondaWEB.jpg

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Moe,

Oh don't we know it! (The Walking in the Sand!) These bikes hate sand, they just sink. Light bikes, just not enough power. The boots are going to suck, but i've been training 84 days in the gym for this ride. I should be able to beat the odds. Besides, there's no way for us to change mid-ride.

We will be bully dogging these things, but have to keep aware that they don't get much air when pushing so we'll be careful as well. I know the areas quite well and plan to avoid some sand sections if we can. We've talk to the promoters as well and coming through Afton canyon we'll have to be careful. Lots of sand there to SODA.

Anyhow, thank you for following.. more prep continuing!

vegasfoodprep.jpg

Last edited:

Grizzley

Observer
Nice job, guys and best of luck with the tour. I had the opportunity to take Dave's bike for a spin around the shop and she runs like a top! Quite addicting I might add...take loads of pics!

Love the scooters Dave. I had a pushrod 90 in a Tohatsu 50 frame when I was a kid and always lusted after the CT. Oh and I replaced more than one stator assembly ;)

NotAMog

Observer
Dave,

Good luck on the adventure. Not every off road adventure involves distant foreign travel. I'm looking forward to seeing your trip report and video. I'd love to try it on the TE 250 some time but realistically the CT-90 is probably more my speed :)

Bruce

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
A little last minute K&N pre-filter placement...
prefilter.jpg

And we have to have a way to control the VIO camera while riding right? Quick mounted controls..
20121121094716.jpg

AeroNautiCal

Explorer
I'm absolutely loving this!

I laughed out loud when you described getting the forks apart, how I remember doing that on customers bikes, though using a heat gun made things slightly less mad!

Small, old Japanese motorcycles will always have a place in my heart, especially Honda's and Yamaha's.

I'd zip tie spare cables to the ones in situ, that apart, good luck!

suntinez

Explorer
I know you're on the road - errrr, sand - now. Good luck - go Team 90!

I still think you guys are a *little* nuts, but can't wait to hear the stories :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman