Land Cruiser Photos

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
...So I gotta ask what year did the guy roll his cruiser? The reason I ask is we were sitting at the trailhead of 21 road outside of fruita Colorado waiting for some guys from Cruiser outfitters and they never showed. The back story I got was that someone rolled in moab so they couldn't make it over. I am thinking this was 1999 or so.

That would be about right, 98' or 99' I think. He would have been traveling with John (from the Grand Junction area) in his Unimog, as well as SLC locals Greg and Andy in their FJ40's, not too sure who else was there but I could ask Darrell. I can't remember if it was Darrell or his girlfriend that ended up needing some stitches in the hospital that weekend. I started working for him in 99' or 00' and he was rebuilding the top. Its been through a lot since then, it was at my house this last fall getting a 4BT swap while Darrell was home on leave from work (commercial diver in the Gulf of Mexico). He still maintains a residence here in Utah, but he's only in town maybe 3 months a year these days.

Come to think of it, Darrell was really building his truck for "overland" uses before it was remotely trendy. Snorkel, fuel efficient diesel, on board air, welder, dual bats, fridges, F&R winches, kinde've a pioneer in our local scene when everyone else was chopping LC's into "rock crawlers".

Last edited:

BlueBomber

Adventurer
I was told by ARB guys that you can actually create a low pressure zone behind the snorkel if it is turned backwards, thus not allowing for full breathability for your engine.

But isnt that the point of cowl induction hoods? they draw air from the low pressure air at the base of the windshield. so, wouldnt drawing air from low pressure areas be ok? just some thoughts...

ThomD

Explorer
I managed to get one photo of the new rig this weekend. We won't see much off roading, but this shows why we bought the truck/SUV/whatever.

tdc-01.jpg

Plenty of room for the bikes with the wheels on and related junk.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
But isnt that the point of cowl induction hoods? they draw air from the low pressure air at the base of the windshield. so, wouldnt drawing air from low pressure areas be ok? just some thoughts...
It's not low pressure at the base of the windshield. It is high pressure if you are moving at any reasonable speed. All of that air that just came across the top of the hood now has to change direction to go up the face of the windshield, and it doesn't want to do that.

lowenbrau

Explorer
I was told by ARB guys that you can actually create a low pressure zone behind the snorkel if it is turned backwards, thus not allowing for full breathability for your engine. I assume this is only a problem at highway speeds. If you only turn it back off-road I don't see a problem. The Dakar trucks you show pics of obviously make me wonder who is to be believed!

Some one should cut this topic out to its own thread because it is good tech.
I'd expect a very high pressure area on the back side of the snorkel. Turning it as shown in the above pictures probably results in better airflow than facing it forward.

ThomD

Explorer
Some one should cut this topic out to its own thread because it is good tech.
I'd expect a very high pressure area on the back side of the snorkel. Turning it as shown in the above pictures probably results in better airflow than facing it forward.

Uh, why would there be high pressure behind it?

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Congrats on the new rig Thom.

We run the donaldson so i can turn it backwards all day long and it's still forward :D

madiaz

100 love

this is my U Z
There are many like it, but this one is mine.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

one wise woman ove'r youn landy side said no talk without photo, :mad:

pre-run water-level check

regards,
m.a.d.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member