Land Rover Aluminum Wheels vs Steel Wheels

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
oh crap. i feel so out of it. i'm buying a 2001 Range Rover with aluminum wheels, what will i do:Wow1:

I'm committing 2 rover sins at once. Getting a P38 and it has aluminum wheels.

on a side note, i would like to find some 16 inch wheels, because finding tires for a 18" wheel sucks.

I will be painting the stock 18" wheels gray because the clear coat is coming off.

I will say, I have had both steel wheels and Aluminum wheels on my 4x4's. I broke a few aluminum wheels on my commander. they were really weak. the bead or lip, actually broke off. it held air just fine, but you never know when the tire will get damaged or start leaking. i have run steel wheels, i have only had to bend back a bead once. i was out rock crawling in my toyota. luckily it didn't loose any air. i prefer aluminum wheels because i still drive my vehicles on the highway. they balance better, and are lighter weight. i always air down to half my highway air pressure when i go off road. it makes the tire bulge and protects the rim better off-road.:elkgrin:

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
I gotta say after a week trip to LA & back in 5 days- 1100mi/day, and being a bit brain dead- this is too funny. The thread on Wolfs/XZLs for sale come from -drum roll please- a militairy upfitter who removes them and replaces with alloy Hutchinsons and Goodyears:) But, gotta say I prefer the steelies for field repair and axle changes- even changing thirds without wheel removal is quite nice. But they are heavy...
Thanks Ben for the humor, intended or not.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
Plus you can get a full set of steel wheels, even NATO's or 1 Ton's, for the price of just one of the Hutchinson alloy.

SpencerFitch

Observer
IMG_0142.jpg

IMG_0153.jpg

IMG_0076.jpg

Looks good to me.. Sure id like some steelies but I have way better things I can spend money on. Such as new tires and bumper.

The paint holds up fine, and the best part is if they scratch or get banged up just recoat them.

I never use a gloss finish on m vehicles though I have on my friends "ricer" car which also held up fine.

As for painting. Its super easy. Most important part is sanding. Sand it all good. As for taping you dont have to cover every little bit of the tire. The paint comes off the tire with a little time. Not to mention its quite hard to see black on black. I got made fun of by the OP for this picture before with his " HUH HUH ROUND OBJECT SQUARE HOOLELEEL :sombrero:"
Its quick I did 5 wheels in an hour and it looks great, so honestly I dont give a fk :coffee:

IMG_0428.jpg

David Harris

Expedition Leader
i painted my aluminum wheels black...come at me bro!!!

More power to you! It's your vehicle. I really don't understand why people are so concerned about what color you paint your wheels! Come on now! There are a lot more important issues. I remember when I first joined here, a guy was run off in part because he dared to paint his wheels black. Makes no practical difference, just aesthetic. It's a utility vehicle, so why not?

SpencerFitch

Observer
More power to you! It's your vehicle. I really don't understand why people are so concerned about what color you paint your wheels! Come on now! There are a lot more important issues. I remember when I first joined here, a guy was run off in part because he dared to paint his wheels black. Makes no practical difference, just aesthetic. It's a utility vehicle, so why not?

prolly me

David Harris

Expedition Leader

There's no part number for the later Defender ROW 16x5.5J tubeless wheels (as opposed to tube type). I have a set of these coming in today and I'll get the part number off of them and post it here. It should be ANR4636PM if I'm not mistaken. Introduced for Defenders around 1996. Scott Brady is running these on his 95 D1 5-speed as well.

David

Last edited:

David Harris

Expedition Leader
There's no part number for the later Defender ROW 16x5.5J tubeless wheels (as opposed to tube type). I have a set of these coming in today and I'll get the part number off of them and post it here. It should be ANR4636PM if I'm not mistaken. Introduced for Defenders around 1996. Scott Brady is running these on his 95 D1 5-speed as well.

David

Just got my wheels and they are marked "RRC503600PM 5.5Jx16x33 Tubeless." The ANR4636PM are the same wheel but tube type.

Last edited:

Red90

Adventurer
Sounds good. Any other information is appreciated. I never really got much from anyone after putting that up.

David Harris

Expedition Leader
So to recap on the 16x5.5 steels, the evolution is as follows:

NRC7578 16x5.5x33mm offset, riveted construction, tube-type

ANR4636PM 16x5.5x33mm offset, welded construction, tube-type

RRC503600PM 16x5.5x33mm offset, welded construction, tubeless

In my research I've found mention of NATO "Wolf" wheels which are a tube-type design too, presumably the older ones. I don't have any part numbers on those yet.

EricTyrrell

Expo God
Wolf wheels are ANR4583(tubeless)/ANR5593(tubed) 16x6.5x20.6mm, welded construction

I have a set of tubeless silver on my D1

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger