Land Rover Discovery 5 (LR5?) in the wild

LR Max

Local Oaf
We complain about the new trucks everytime they come out. Back in 1999 when the D2 came out with no center diff lock, it was the end of the world. When the LR3 came out with independent suspension, it was the end of the world. When The LR4s switched to a single speed transfer case with two speed as an option in 2014, it was the end of the world. When the new body style RRS came out, it was the end of the world.

In a few years someone will make a lift kit and figure out a formula to add some off road prowless and boom. We are back. Some guy will sit down with a welder and a case of beer and boom. We will have bumpers and sliders. When the price of the truck drops to ~$30k, then they'll start getting built. As with the LR3 and 4, people will then report how great they are for DD use, highway use, towing use, and light/moderate trail use. Then we will all want one and you'll start seeing LR3s with the fenders all chopped up and 35s bolted on, and it'll be some guy's "trail toy".

Because that is what we've done for the past 20 years.

forsakenfuture

Explorer
I will probably never own a Land Rover but I do appreciate them. It sad that their whole line up is starting to look the same. The little bump in the roof is almost an insult.

johnsoax

Adventurer
I don't know if anyone has looked at an Explorer lately, but they have a traction control system with the exact same icons that we have in our LR3's....

I remember my wife and I discussion how much like a Land Rover the newer Explorers looked when they first came out a few years ago. I think it is just a symptom of them once owning Land Rover.

Eniam17

Adventurer
We complain about the new trucks everytime they come out. Back in 1999 when the D2 came out with no center diff lock, it was the end of the world. When the LR3 came out with independent suspension, it was the end of the world. When The LR4s switched to a single speed transfer case with two speed as an option in 2014, it was the end of the world. When the new body style RRS came out, it was the end of the world.

In a few years someone will make a lift kit and figure out a formula to add some off road prowless and boom. We are back. Some guy will sit down with a welder and a case of beer and boom. We will have bumpers and sliders. When the price of the truck drops to ~$30k, then they'll start getting built. As with the LR3 and 4, people will then report how great they are for DD use, highway use, towing use, and light/moderate trail use. Then we will all want one and you'll start seeing LR3s with the fenders all chopped up and 35s bolted on, and it'll be some guy's "trail toy".

Because that is what we've done for the past 20 years.

X2, thank you. This happens every single time. Are they getting "softer" and less easy to modify? Yes. But as someone stated , we haven't even seen the replacement defender which will be the true utility line.

xCSx

Adventurer
Problem is if you want to buy a new vehicle - what non pickup options do you have in the USA that are not $50-60K+?

I don't know if anyone has looked at an Explorer lately, but they have a traction control system with the exact same icons that we have in our LR3's....

I remember my wife and I discussion how much like a Land Rover the newer Explorers looked when they first came out a few years ago. I think it is just a symptom of them once owning Land Rover.

I owned a brand new Explorer sport in 2014. Beautiful looking rig and great driving CAR. Yes, CAR because it sucks off-road unless it's a dirt road with no terrain deviation. It's low, no ground clearance but has the performance of a RRS in sport mode. Matter of fact, I bought it when I found out it was actually designed by RR roots. I had every option available and 1 of 2 in SoCal at the time with every available option. My deal was I only wanted to buy it once and not regret not having an option. Active cruise control was the bees knees......drove the I5 from north county to San Diego and never touched the gas or brake....it drove itself with a 2 car interval the entire time and I thought that was an accomplishment in Cali traffic.

Problem was, it had all of the new electronics and it was dangerous. On a few occasions the vehicle would go into crash mode with the electronics. Heater came on full tilt with heated seats in tow, gauges locked up and the screens would go haywire and the radio would change volume on its own like it was in speed mode only super loud. Once the tradition control started to do its own thing I took it in. I had to pull over and turn the vehicle off, open the doors, locked the doors and then get back in before it would reset. Battery reset worked too but what a pain. iPhone interface was garbage as well but with Microsoft I can't blame them.

I talked to ford and they admitted software problems and reflashed twice and it would come back randomly. When it happened and I had passengers in the car I had enough. Long story short, Ford bought it back. They didn't replace it, they bought it back because it was a known problem with the new vehicle software so a replacement vehicle was not the answer.

I'm sure that all has been fixed but it was a blessing in surprise because the next day my LR dealer called asking if I was still interested in an LR3..........I bought Victory (08 LR3) the next day and it's been the best vehicle I've owned.

I love LR, just wish I didn't have to wait 3-4 years to own one that is affordable to use it for its intent after the soccer moms are done running it back and forth to daycare and yoga. Hahaha

mr4x4

every disco have stayed the same for two generations and then changes. D1 is similar to D2. LR3 is similar to LR4. But now it will change. As long as it's still good offroad then customers will continue to be happy

Eniam17

Adventurer
Most people whining about the new design already on the forums wouldn't ever push it as hard as they do in that test video. Everyone likes to talk about how they need solid axles and 35's and in reality most don't. Give it a chance.

mr4x4

Yeah so true. In addition these vehicles preform surprisingly well off road on street tires. Not that I wouldn't out ATS on it.

Derel1cte

Adventurer
every disco have stayed the same for two generations and then changes. D1 is similar to D2. LR3 is similar to LR4. But now it will change. As long as it's still good offroad then customers will continue to be happy

I'm sure it's going to be plenty capable. My original post was more about the complete departure styling wise of the new Disco. When you part a D1, D2, D3, D4 next to each other, you can see the similarity and evolution. When you sit behind the wheel of each of them, you can see the evolution. This new discovery kept none of it. It was such a distinct vehicle, and now it looks like a ford explorer crossed with a range rover sport and an M-Class.

2018_land_rover_discovery_2_2560x1440.jpg

99Discovery

Adventurer
It is kind of funny to browse all the social media posts on the Disco 5. Nearly every "official" Land Rover Reply is something along the lines of:

"We disagree it looks like a Ford Explorer. The Discovery 5 has matured past it's original design language and is radial just like each previous generation of Discovery. Please come check one out at your local dealer and see for yourself!"

They are in MAJOR damage control regarding the Explorer design style. It's not being accepted very well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger