Land Rover Discovery 5 (LR5?) in the wild

mr4x4

lol, in a way your right it's a major design change, but then again so was the LR3 from the discovery II

2017-Land-Rover-Discovery-leak__111.jpg

2017-Land-Rover-Discovery-leak_1.png

2017-Land-Rover-Discovery-leak_3.png

2017-Land-Rover-Discovery-leak_2.png

I actually don't know what LR is thinking not having an affordable, work-mans replacement of the Defender. They priced themselves out of the Defender and technology drove themselves out of the military market without a replacement.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist and $60k price tag to make a crash worthy, globally distributed, utility beast like the Defender and Discos once were. I remember leaving Afghanistan and this overseas contract company had no less than 200 Defenders chilling in their lot at a whopping price tag of about $15k per brand new. No better wagon for the all around Joe. Of course that was government buy for a bare bones TD but the performance and reliability were exactly what was needed.

Toyota still makes an affordable utility wagon and so does Mercedes. Anyone think there will be a utility/commercial anything coming from LR or are we stuck with 20" wheels and minimum $75k price tag forever?

Military variant G-wagons are replacing Defenders all over the world at a smooth price tag of $150k+ per copy.......why? According to my Aussie service buds, because LR doesnt have a replacement platform. I'm actually surprised Oz didn't go the Toyota route but I don't think Toyota has a mil variant. Not the point.

I really think LR is missing the mark by not keeping the blue collar and military option available to those who made them big in the first place.

Off my soapbox

I have no issue with the Discovery design....I actually love it. My post was kind of off track of the initial thread when I went all DEFENDER talk. Just saying we need a poor mans LR to go along with the Disco. I just don't want the price tag cuz I know it's start with a 6 and have 4 ($60k) more numbers behind it! :wings:

99Discovery

Adventurer
Did you guys see the Press Release?

It's ugly. It's long. It weighs 1k less than the LR4 and can tow 8k. It also has better stock off-road capabilities than the LR4. Crazy. I felt for sure it would be a soft-roader, while I despise the styling, Sulihull has done it again: Wrapped a luxury box around a formidable platform. The obvious biggest issue is crappy huge wheels. If only they'd allow an 18" option...

http://www.alloyandgrit.com/2016/09/28/discovery-5-what-you-need-to-know/

PDF to the official press release is below.

Nearly 20" of wheel travel, more than 30 degrees approach/departure, 11" ground clearance, 2-speed T-case still available, just under 3' of stock wading depth. It's all there...

vitola231

Observer
we need a vomit icon on the smiley list, come on, thats just ugly. time to start really preserving your lr4's.

jerdog53

Explorer
Disco 5 specs and options

Rear locker is an option,
2 speed t-case option lo and hi range
Tailgate goes away
Seats fold down flat 5 and 7 passenger
Air bag suspension option, or you can have Coilovers
Is 1000 lbs lighter than LR4
Diesel is an option looking like 28/30 MPG
29.5 approach
25.5 break over
28 depart angles
35.4" water fording depth
11.18" ground clearance
Wheels size starts at 20" :(
Larger fuel tank too! 28mpg X 22.5 gallons = 616 miles to tank

Eniam17

Adventurer
I'm going to start taking screen shots of the negative comments about the D5 and then post them back to people in 5 years when we start seeing posts like :

"Took the D5 off-roading this weekend, it was awesome !!! Cleared obstacles that our friend in a rubicon unlimited got hung up on, crossed a 3 foot deep river no problem, the traction control was amazing in the mud and we went places where lr3's and d2's got stuck. And the kids loved the iPad chargers in the back seat and my wife loves the huge sun roof."

And then the "build" Threads with " just got my hidden winch mount for the D5, going to install it this weekend along with the tactical rovers sliders. Is anyone else using the cool bracelet key fob so yah can leave the key in the vehicle and still lock it? Wow, that's cool. Great job Land Rover ".

Hahaha

camodog

Adventurer
"I'm going to start taking screen shots of the negative comments about the D5 and then post them back to people in 5 years when we start seeing posts like :

"Took the D5 off-roading this weekend, it was awesome !!! Cleared obstacles that our friend in a rubicon unlimited got hung up on, crossed a 3 foot deep river no problem, the traction control was amazing in the mud and we went places where lr3's and d2's got stuck. And the kids loved the iPad chargers in the back seat and my wife loves the huge sun roof."

And then the "build" Threads with " just got my hidden winch mount for the D5, going to install it this weekend along with the tactical rovers sliders. Is anyone else using the cool bracelet key fob so yah can leave the key in the vehicle and still lock it? Wow, that's cool. Great job Land Rover ".

Hahaha"

I wish there was a like button for this post. :iagree:

Exploder
Eniam hit the nail on the head. Reminds me of the wailing and gnashing of teeth over the styling of the LR3.

As I have jokingly said before, once they moved the seat from the middle it all went down hill.

tmg-article_default_mobile.jpg

I'm sold on it, I went off topic for the Defender replacement but I like the Disco 5 and the advertised capability. I don't like the price or the loss of the tailgate but in 3 years when I am in my newly used LR4, I'll be window shopping to buy my Disco5 a few years later. It'll still be missing the tailgate, but by then we will have sweet overland flip-down gates and the vehicle price tag will be right where I need it.

Rover on, Rover on! :smiley_drive:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears