Lead Dog's Going Back to Basics! Trailer Build;

Lead Dog

Observer
Well it may as well start here, I'm also in the middle of doing my own Trailer build ! I'm sure it won't be as detailed of a description blow by blow but I'll do my best to show progress as it come along. due to the Obama change of Times we've had to regroup and change the Lifestyle that we were accustomed to like so many others???:Wow1:

I still love the outdoors and want to keep the family out and about seeing this wonderful west coast we live in and all it has to offer, it's just the way were going to do it is going to be a little different! LOL! My wife isn't totally on board but as we do a few trips she'll join right in! :snorkel:

So I'm doing a box Trailer a lot like many on here but with a few little changes in the Build to make it my own. 5' x 6' box with a slide out kitchen, rear access door , RTT w/annex and a ARB Awning, Battery Box to hold charger/inverter, 20 gal water tank with on demand pump.. and what ever else we can throw at it.

Since I bought the material we've moved homes and went from a roomy 3 car Garage to a small 2 car . Between moving and getting organized it has taken a little more time than I would have liked but I'm trying to give it a solid day and a half a week to work on it! :coffee:

The worst part about living in Vegas is that all the steel you buy is only ava. in 20' lengths??? That part Sucks!

The Steel;
2"x4" .095 Rear bumper
2"x3" .095 Main Frame
2"x2" .065 Cross members
1.5"x1.5" & 1"x1" .065 Box structure
1" & 1.5" 1/8" wall band strap
14 & 16 Gage sheeting

Parts034.jpg

The Layout?? had to Draw it on the floor to figure out what I was doing! :bigbossHL:
Parts035.jpg

IMG_20110312_154148.jpg

IMG_20110312_154202.jpg

IMG_20110313_180011.jpg

Last edited:

Lead Dog

Observer
Here's maybe why the wife is having such a hard time going back to the Basic's! Our Old Rig and LJ.

TruckHeaven1-07003.jpg

I like not having all the Bills that came with the Old Unit but I'm really looking forward to the New Places we'll be staying!

Lead Dog

Observer
Building the Bumper... Had to start some where!

IMG_2106.jpg

IMG_2104.jpg

Need some Light Holes and a Hitch & Clevis mounts.

Paulsh1041.jpg

Paulsh1040.jpg

Paulsh1043.jpg

Paulsh1042.jpg

Last edited:

Lead Dog

Observer
trailer needs some fenders or side rails.. I think were going full width with the box less 2" where I'm going to build Tube Rock Slider rails for standing on or ???

Paulsh1048.jpg

This is the trailer at it's lowest level, I'm going to do Air Bag suspension with urethane bump stops so I can deflate the suspension at night to stabilize the trailer. Still waiting for the Bags to show so I can build the Link Arms!
Paulsh1047.jpg

Xodius

Adventurer
Looking good and I know what
You mean about the steel...I am here in Vegas too. NW park of the valley. Glad to hear there is a portal member in town. Shoot me a line if you need something.

Lead Dog

Observer
Looking good and I know what
You mean about the steel...I am here in Vegas too. NW park of the valley. Glad to hear there is a portal member in town. Shoot me a line if you need something.

Hey thanks! We're NW too Fort Apache O/hare.

Xodius

Adventurer
Hey thanks! We're NW too Fort Apache O/hare.

LOL, my wife works at a school just down the road from you. We are off Bradley and Farm...maybe...5 miles away. Something like that.

I am planning on building a trailer soon. My father in law started one but he quickly went off...spec and it is now a large 2 quad super trailer, lol. I was hoping for more of a off-road camping/ optional single or double quad setup. Drew up some plans...somewhere here in my office.

Your setup looks good. Hope to see it sometime.
Mark

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears