LED strip / ribbon lights

Guri

Explorer
LED

I used LED in my old camper. Those are square but way more powerful.
In my new camper I used the strip one, still ok.

IMG_4558.jpg
IMG_4572.JPG
IMG_4575.JPG

fourstringfletch

Adventurer
Update:

I finally got around to taking some photos of these lights which I have been enjoying and using a ton. Ignore the partial construction of the gear box. The first 4 photos are f5.6, 0.8sec, iso 400.

I have 2 circuits, tailgate area and interior so I found a pc fan controller for $10 with 4 12v dimmers. Then I replaced two knobs with on/off switches for each circuit.

I stuck two LED strips to a piece of plastic angle and stuck that to the glass to get some good light on the tailgate when the back is open.

One thing I am really happy I did was to stick some velcro to the lights inside so that I can move them around on the carpet interior. I wasn't sure if I would want them pointing straight down, sideways from just above the windows, or somewhere in between like they are now.
Now I have a crack in my topper now and I'll just be able to peel them off and stick them back on to the warranty replacement.

This is definitely the best $25 upgrade to date. Do yourself a favor and order a roll of these. You will figure out where to stick them I promise. The SMD 3528s are plenty bright enough in my configuration.

IMG_0019.jpg

IMG_0020.jpg

IMG_0021.jpg

IMG_0022.jpg

IMG_0032.jpg

fourstringfletch

Adventurer
Can you be more specific about where you sourced those dimmers? How much amperage can they take?

This is essentially what I bought from the same ebay seller. If anyone finds this thread after the auction expires just search ebay for "4 port pc fan controller."
They claim to be able to handle 18 watts per channel, adjust from 7-12v and a 5m roll of 3528 lights is 24 watts. It's pushing it I know, but it was a cheap enough experiment that if it turns out to be less than "expedition rated" then I just lose the ability to dim. I did learn that these lights cut out above 7v (or these potentiometers drop lower than that) so the on/off switches are pretty unnecessary. I plucked all of the leds from the board that light up when your pc is on, thereby drawing a tiny load all the time in my case.

I wouldn't really endorse pulling apart cheap circuits and expecting reliable results, but it worked out for me. In hindsight, I might just wire 1 on/off switch to the dimmer box, and then save the hassle of trying to squeeze the switches between the dimmers the way I did.

Kevin - does your dimmer "click" off or just dim down to a low voltage?

kevint

Adventurer
Kevin - does your dimmer "click" off or just dim down to a low voltage?

Hmm? Good question. Hard to recall.

I'm sitting at my desk, eyes closed, mentally turning the knob slowly, slowly, slowly to the left. . . then, slight resistance and . . . Click!

Yes, I think it clicks off. I won't have the Kamparoo opened up next until mid June, probably. Hopefully, I'll remember to check. Obviously the implication of printing "Off" on the switch is also consistent with no current flow in that position.

Also, in my application, I employ a master switch/breaker which I turn off when no one is using power to ensure that there are no phantom loads (inverter if left on, power adapters, etc.) on the battery. This works for me since I run the fridge in my truck, not my camper.

There is a store near me that sells those dimmers. If I can remember, I'll stop in and see if one clicks. It will be easier than deploying the Kamparoo.

In reality, for me it isn't a huge deal. At full power, my strip lights draw 0.7 amps and they only get used 1 to 2 hours per day. My battery capacity is 225 A-H. However, if I were using them in a vehicle with only a single starting battery, I think the dimmer would be very worthwhile.

java

Expedition Leader
Thanks to this thread, I just purchased a RGB set with a remote..... Should be nice for the RTT!

Arclight

SAR guy
If you're looking for a controller that you can program, customize, etc then you might want to check out my build thread:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/91893-New-Build-T100-SAR-and-expedition-rig/page2
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/97497-Power-distribution-boards

I made a 4-channel, programmable lighting controller so that I could have multiple inputs (tailgate switch, switch in cab, buttons in camper) that would do different things. For instance, opening the tailgate will turn on my 5m, 5050 RGB LED strip and set it to white at full brightness, then turn it off after 30 minutes of inactivity. Pushing one of the buttons in the camper lets me cycle between 3 brightness levels and red light mode. Hitting the switch on the driver's control panel does a simple on/off with no timeout.

The plans and everything are on-line for free. If anyone is interested, I also have a couple of extras from my build.

Plans:
http://www.accxproducts.com/wiki/index.php?title=Miscellaneous_Projects

Arclight

java

Expedition Leader
Got my strip put in.
Puts out a lot more light than i was expecting.
White in daylight

red in daylight

Dusk

Night

D

Deleted member 9101

I use the 50/50's on my bike and truck with a really cheap controller/dimmer. Works flawlessly

my1stcummins

Adventurer
I drank the LED kool-aid

I bought a 15m led strip light and a rheostat control last week and installed it in my canopy for an overnight trip this weekend. Wow. What a cheap and amazing improvement. It's a day picture but at night it is just the right amount of light.
image.jpg

I placed the strips on top of some unistrut that I use for tie-down points which are held using the yakima rack brackets with some longer carriage bolts. One of my favorite cheap mods.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:

kramme

Observer
java, they look great! Which set did you buy and where from?

Yes ditto on that, I would love to know what you bought and where from. I have the same ARB awning and have wanted to do something similar but I have no clue what to get and perhaps if you can give me a hint of how to attached etc.

Excellent post!!!

thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998