Lets see some "set up" Regular Camper shells

TNRonin

My brother and I spent some time at Lowe's looking at potential options the other day. I have a Ford Ranger standard bed which is 51+/- X 72". I think I'm going to find an adjustable frame for a bed, you know the kind that clamps at the head and foot as the base for the frame. This would allow me to have a stable frame to configure from. Anybody else using a frame?

Mitch

theMec

Adventurer
Anybody else using a frame?

Mitch

Many are using frames of some kind or another. Using a frame, to support a platform, takes up valuable storage though. Look at my set from the previous page (page 6). It's combines support w/ benches (which are also sleeping platforms). Everything is removable in under 5 minutes.

Also good ideas in other threads.

edcasey

A guy on Cummins Forum bought this shell with racks and interior from a dealership for $300. Probably came off of a trade in. Nice find.

valve018.jpg

valve023.jpg

GTABurnout

Explorer
^^^^^^

Thats a nice set up....
I want some thing like that but I fear I will need to use my truck as a truck too often for that to make sense.

I think I will do some super simple sleeping set up since we only plan to sleep in it at the Dunes...

Krut29

First I want to say this is an awsome forum, I have really enjoyed looking at all the rigs people have. The creativity and hard work everyone has done is very interesting.

I have an 2007 Toyota Tundra DC 4X4, it is primarly used as a daily driver so I wanted to keep the platform simple as possible. I have alot of plans for the truck, level kit, tires, firestone airbags, but I need more money and time. When we go camping or tow my sons 4Runners to the mountains, my sons and their girl friends sleep in a tent, I sleep in my truck. I found a 1 year old used Leer Top for $700.00.

I bought some 2" x 10" boards, notched them and made a simple platform. There are no fasteners anywhere in my platform, takes less then 5 minutes to put it together or take it out. The boards are notched and slide into the existing side rails on my truck. I made all my cuts pretty tight so there is no movement between the boards. I made 4 panels to go on the platform and the tail gate.

I bought a Camper Top Tent online for $100.00, it looks cheesy, but works really well. It also gives me the use of my tailgate inside the truck for more space. The tent opens providing more ventelation as well.

I will attach photos, hope it works.

Thanks Ken

Attachments

• side.jpg
    side.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 2,147
  • front.jpg
    front.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 1,358
  • rear.jpg
    rear.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 1,265
  • side tent.jpg
    side tent.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 1,987
  • rear tent.jpg
    rear tent.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 1,455
  • rear tent open.jpg
    rear tent open.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 1,827
  • frame front.jpg
    frame front.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 1,326
  • frame side.jpg
    frame side.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 1,427
  • frame.jpg
    frame.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 1,533

Krut29

Here are the photos of the panels I install on the platform. Nothing fancy, but it works.

Thanks Ken

Attachments

• 2 panels.jpg
    2 panels.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 1,703
  • 4 panels.jpg
    4 panels.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 1,471
  • panel corner.jpg
    panel corner.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 1,303
  • dutch.jpg
    dutch.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 1,428

Nick02

Homemade, plywood, and supported by bed rails and 2x4's.
uses a mattress from a popup trailer, plenty of storage, need to get organized
6495_1123275634934_1018380139_30301703_4763767_n.jpg

in use!
5972_110168151626_666921626_2617885_6121696_n.jpg

I need to buy new struts for the shell, but @ $40 a pop their not cheap!

DesertBoater

Adventurer
I bought a Camper Top Tent online for $100.00, it looks cheesy, but works really well. It also gives me the use of my tailgate inside the truck for more space. The tent opens providing more ventelation as well.

Hey Ken,
I've been looking for a tent/awning exactly like what you found. Where did you find it?

Cheers,
West

buddha

Adventurer
subscribing. been wanting to do this to my Ford F150 SuperCrew for a long time... only downside is that it's a 5.5' bed. Still, I could probably sleep in it comfortably enough diagonally....

Bob599

Observer
I have a F150 Super Crew with a 5.5 foot bed. I checked it for this very reason and I can sleep on my side or back just not completely extended. But I'm 5'9". Just a little angle will alow me to stretch out. Amazing how much room there really is back there.

buddha

Adventurer
I have a F150 Super Crew with a 5.5 foot bed. I checked it for this very reason and I can sleep on my side or back just not completely extended. But I'm 5'9". Just a little angle will alow me to stretch out. Amazing how much room there really is back there.

Well, I'm 5'10" - 5'11". Suppose that will work for me then. I haven't been able to successfully check it because I've got a toolbox mounted at the moment.

Do you have a shell for yours already? Would love to see some pics.

Thanks for the reply!

Bob599

Observer
Bought the truck new in August and have not got around to a cap yet. Waiting for business to pick up. I am going to get a ARE shell with the 50/50 sliders and may install a fantastic roof vent as well. Extra battery in the bed and a Engle fridge. But I am in Manf. sales so it might be a while.

I have to say much to my suprise the 09 F150 SCC is the most comfortable vehicle I have owned. I have had SUV's for the last few choices and they have nothing on the Ford. Yeah they may have more options but I never thought this truck would so nice!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan