Lets see some "set up" Regular Camper shells

shellb

Adventurer
Bumping this back up with the hope that there are some more builds created within the last two years!!

Spencinator

Adventurer
I threw this together for a camping trip. I knew I would change it but I didnt have much time to work with so this worked fine.

249293_1726598761846_1144715407_31418734_954506_n.jpg

This was my setup. I bought the canopy for $40 with no rear window, made a simple replacement and used it for a couple camp trips. After getting the rear bike mount setup I will now be looking for a canopy with side windows that open. Need more access then the rear because of the bike blocking the window.

268760_1778333895192_1144715407_31487011_679795_n.jpg

This is everything being put to use. The pop up canopy was an awesome buy. Definitely great to have that much room to take off gear, kick off the shoes, etc before getting into bed. Also room to keep the bike out of the rain and room for the kitchen. Plus our dog sleeps in the back with us so if she needs to be dried or wiped down, its better then doing it in the back of the truck. The canopy I really want is a double rear door with opening side windows.... Someday....

254441_1768589051577_1144715407_31475651_4825778_n.jpg

Jimmeh

Think'n with me dipstick!
Lots of cool setups. I plan on building something myself, but it's been cold here and I am waiting until closer to my favorite time to start camping.

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
Brett- I have a shell w/ barn doors for the SD, and really considering doing the bed 'correctly'- we should compare notes, and do it simultaneously...

Scott B.

SE Expedition Society
Here is a shot of mine, almost complete, in the back of my Ranger.

The back half is open compartments, accessible from the rear (as you can see), and the front half has removable lids or doors to access the storage area.

It cuts down headroom, but still easy to sleep in.

Attachments

• SP-done.JPG
    SP-done.JPG
    89.5 KB · Views: 285

shellb

Adventurer
Brett- I have a shell w/ barn doors for the SD, and really considering doing the bed 'correctly'- we should compare notes, and do it simultaneously...

Yes sir! Let's do it. I sent you a reply email...maybe we can come down this weekend? If not, I will be out of pocket for a couple of weekends recovering from reconstructive shoulder surgery next Tuesday. :coffeedrink:

Edit to add: bat, I'm digging your set up...nice job!

Last edited:

tbared

Life participant
Not to hijack, but i have been trying to figure out what to do with the interior of my Unicover Contractor Topper. I want to insulate it, but i am concerned about moisture build up on the inside of the aluminum. Especially if i seal it or sandwich some insulation between the outer layer and an interior layer of either aluminum or plastic sheating. Whatcha guys think?

Spencinator

Adventurer
Not to hijack, but i have been trying to figure out what to do with the interior of my Unicover Contractor Topper. I want to insulate it, but i am concerned about moisture build up on the inside of the aluminum. Especially if i seal it or sandwich some insulation between the outer layer and an interior layer of either aluminum or plastic sheating. Whatcha guys think?

I have heard of people using insulation from home depot that has a sticky side on one side. You can get them in different thickness. Supposedly works good, its what Ill be using when I buy my next aluminum canopy. Also, from what Ive read, it sounds like a good idea to make thin insulated window shades for overnight use to keep the condensation out. When I used my fiberglass canopy that was carpeted I got a lot of condensation over the windows by morning. Hope this helps.

tbared

Life participant
I have heard of people using insulation from home depot that has a sticky side on one side. You can get them in different thickness. Supposedly works good, its what Ill be using when I buy my next aluminum canopy. Also, from what Ive read, it sounds like a good idea to make thin insulated window shades for overnight use to keep the condensation out. When I used my fiberglass canopy that was carpeted I got a lot of condensation over the windows by morning. Hope this helps.

Yeah i am kinda thinking in that general direction, i think the condensation issue im not going to get away from(condensation on the inside of the aluminum skin). The only thing i was thinking might help with the condensation is if i were to coat the inside with something, just not sure what.

97RangerXLT

Here is a shot of mine, almost complete, in the back of my Ranger.

The back half is open compartments, accessible from the rear (as you can see), and the front half has removable lids or doors to access the storage area.

It cuts down headroom, but still easy to sleep in.

Good to see you on here Scott, been following you on explorerforum.com. Your giving good ideas for my ranger expo build.

Walker

Texas Wanderer
My Dad and I while I was on Vacation in Northern Idaho for Christmas started a small project. I began to research from different websites and decided on a simple construction of 3/4 plywood. My father, a fantastic wood worker and sailor came up with a crude, but simple idea for storage and comfort while out traveling. Here are some quick shots, hope they are useful...

ChristmasVacation2011153.jpg

ChristmasVacation2011017.jpg

ChristmasVacation2011051.jpg

ChristmasVacation2011019.jpg

Calplaya

Adventurer
maybe i missed it, but I was wondering, what is that carpet like stuff that you put over your wood in those pics? im thinking of doing a similar thing in my suburban. Also, did you staple it on or what?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998