LETS SEE YOUR TRAILERS!!!!

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
Nope, it mostly went to scrap. It was thin aluminum sheeting with a million holes in it. I used 16 gauge for the sides, and 14gauge for the floor and top.

Here is the build thread if you are interested.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...it-begins-Stump-XJ-s-trailer-build?highlight=

All steel:

DSCN1647.jpg

drgnhrt1979

Adventurer
StumpXJ, Did you find it cheaper to build the trailer vs buying one? I understand that if you build it, you can completely make it custom to you and your trips from the ground up. But would it not be just as expensive over buying and tweaking a one size fits all canvas?

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
StumpXJ, Did you find it cheaper to build the trailer vs buying one? I understand that if you build it, you can completely make it custom to you and your trips from the ground up. But would it not be just as expensive over buying and tweaking a one size fits all canvas?

From a strictly monetary standpoint, building a trailer is much cheaper. IF you can do the work. If you factor in time/labor, its pretty close to a turn key/production trailer. However, part (probably a large part) of my enjoyment in this hobby is building everything I can myself, so for me it was a no-brainer. Monetarily I have $2600-$2800 in the trailer you see above. That doesnt include the original cost of the trailer, although it was sitting unused in my shop. You could buy a little enclosed trailer like that for around $800 to 1000 in this area. Or, I could have used that money to build from the ground up with buying steel. I figured since I already owned the trailer, and wasnt using it and it was already titled/registered, I might as well use it. It worked out just fine for my application. I also already had the tent, fridge, kitchen, etc.

I sold it for around $4500.00 fully loaded, and bought my little pop-up for $3750.00 (also pretty much fully loaded). The trailer I built was MUCH better built than the pop-up, and would be in a similar bracket as most off the shelf 'offroad' trailers in terms of materials used to build it (air bag trailing arm suspension, full electronics, water storage, etc etc etc.)

So, the short of it was yes, $2600 is MUCH cheaper than $10,000.00 - $15,000.00 for a similarly outfitted AT or any other brand trailer. I will be the first to admit the fit and finish wasnt quite what those trailers are, but it wasnt worth the extra dough for me to have it. I was able to build it during a 9 month unemployment spell, so time wasnt really an issue for me. I have hundreds of hours in building it, and loved every minute of it. It was exactly what i 'thought' I wanted, turns out reality had a different trailer in mind. I am much happier now, and use the pop-up quite a lot. I do miss the old trailer, but only because of the time/blood/sweat/tears that I put into it, not for its functionality with my family.

~ Stump

drgnhrt1979

Adventurer
Sounds like you gave someone a heck of a deal on the trailer... I want to learn how to weld so I can build more stuff myself and not have to have someone else do it for me.

Like you, I enjoy turning my own wrenches as much as possible. Sounds like when life lets me, I will have to build my own too.

Trailer for my Rubicon

I just received my trailer a couple of weekends ago and about the only thing i have done is attach the RTT.

i-LNq2wLS-XL.jpg

i-H5sKVFp-XL.jpg

i-BLG8N4S-XL.jpg

i-DwbDMPm-XL.jpg

To Do List:
Fuel can rack for 4 fuel cans
Battery
Water tank
Water pump
Plumbing for system

Last edited:

CJ2AinAZ

Rubber side up

Rolled.jpgCrownKing2006Trip 044.jpg

My mistake should have taken the low road, high road was loose rock and the original tires were pretty low on tread. She slipped off the the ledge and that was that.
ultimately, driver error :oops:

jomobco

Now Decanter
My mistake should have taken the low road, high road was loose rock and the original tires were pretty low on tread. She slipped off the the ledge and that was that.
ultimately, driver error :oops:

I got one or two of those but I think it was the trailer springs being too stiff. It was a good excuse to talk to Adventure Trailers :) Ooops1 copy.jpgOops2 and final copy.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman