Lewis and Clark, et. al - 2 months and 8,000 miles in a FJ40.

tglaser

Observer
These last two are from a nice little lake just west of Truckee named Lake Mary. We drove around Donner Lake and then found a road called Donner Pass that sounded nice, so we took it until we got tired. One of my favorite campsites of the entire trip. The only other company we had up there was a military helicopter that flew low over the trees about ten o'clock at night, and then must have been curious about our campsite / fire, because he decided to stop, hover above us for a few seconds and shine a spotlight down. It was a wild experience because we heard it coming from a good ways away, but never saw any lights on it. Either he was running drugs or he thought we were.

Other notable thing about this particular campsite was that it was sometime in the first week of August, and both of us woke up with ice on top of our sleeping bags the next morning. It must get awful cold in the wintertime for the Truckee natives...

IMG_0907.jpgIMG_0912.jpg

tglaser

Observer
After the mountains of Northern California, we decided to roll back toward the coast and check out the Redwoods while we were in that part of the world. It'd be a shame not to have gotten to see them in person. Turned out to be some of the most awe-some scenery I'd seen. I know I say that about everything, but I mean it this time. It's absolutely amazing to stand next to a tree - that is over 350' tall and over 6 HUNDRED years old. I read somewhere that the Redwoods had been growing along the California coastline for close to 20 million years. Wow! That's back before jesus was around...

IMG_0916.jpgIMG_0924.jpgIMG_0926.jpgIMG_0928.jpg

tglaser

Observer
We rolled all the way downhill to the end of California and ended up in Crescent City. Which, by the way, if you ever end up there I highly suggest you make your way to the Chart Room - a fine restaurant right on the edge of the state. The hushpuppies are unlike any I'd ever eaten.

IMG_0960.jpgIMG_0964.JPGIMG_0978.jpgIMG_0979.JPG

tglaser

Observer
I just found your thread today and am glad you are back to writing! I drove a 69 JF40 through high school and half way through college. My dad has a 72 now. My wife drove a 71 her grandpa bough new and is still in my father-in-law's garage. Your long distance adventure in your 40 is great, but it raises a few questions for me:

Was the engine original or did you have some work done on it before you left?
What suspension and tire size do you have? It appears to be lifted a bit with 33" x 10.5"? It looks great.
Do you have an estimate on how fast you drove on average? My cruiser and the other two I get to drive are at home at 45-50 but much more and it is pretty loud. Just curious :)

Keep up the writing and pictures. I can't wait to see more of your cruiser in action!

Thanks for reading!

The engine was and still is original, but we rebuilt the top end before take off. The transmission, transfer case and electrical is all still original as well. The only things I've changed have been the axles - swapped 'em with later model with disk brakes - the suspension and unfortunately the carbureration device. The original one finally gave up the ghost and there happens to be a few years in the late 60s for which I have not been able to find a decent rebuild kit.

The suspension has 2.5" lift springs and the tires are 33x10.50x15s.

You know, I didn't and still don't have a speedometer or an odometer in that thing. I did have a handheld GPS unit that claimed I got up to 77 mph one time - but then again that was chasing after a pretty girl down the LA Freeway. So, it can move when it really needs to.

Thanks again for the kind words.

Last edited:

tglaser

Observer
Sounds like those people sent you to Big Caliente Hot Springs. Loving the pictures from Big Pine, too. You certainly can't get a better view of the vast southern expanse of Los Padres National Forest. I lived in the area for a short time and couldn't get enough of the fact that 15 mins of driving from my house would bring me up and over the mountains into relative solitude.

Also, about this...

The Mex. 1 toll road is definitely the better way to go, but you bypass the road that goes to the top of the statue that way. On a good clear day, the view is amazing. It's kind of a long detour if you are on your way further south though because you have to travel for a good distance or turn around to get back on the toll road again. I went down there to surf last summer, caught K38 really good, and made it up to the statue to take some pics.
329604_10150277623706315_634511314_8156682_2075028395_o.jpg

324824_10150277624071315_634511314_8156684_1345730416_o.jpg

Hey - these are some awesome pictures! You got a view from behind the curtains, so to speak. Thanks for sharing!

Abeer

Yes Sir, I believe it was.

Either you have a really good eye or you were following me......

And either way is pretty cool with me!

I just spent some time last month in big sur/bay area/lost coast. I think I have a photo of my D90 in the exact spot of your FJ. Great pics all around.

xearth

Observer
Awesome writing man! This definitely is leading me to start planning some more overland oriented trips. Kudos!

justbecause

perpetually lost
I thought about this thread a lot the last 2 weeks.

My wife and I (and dog) are finishing 5k miles across the southwest in a frontier, with trailer. while we have plenty of room, I am not sure we could have fit everything we deemed "needed" into a 40.
Infact, after 2 weeks of 16* nights in an RTT I am going to start saving for a 4wd Van.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior