Lewis and Clark, et. al - 2 months and 8,000 miles in a FJ40.

DarinM

Explorer
I'll be out toward where he lives this weekend. If I happen to see an FJ parked anywhere I'll wander up and introduce myself and tell him he's missed. :)

Pappibri

Nice story but, its like checking out a one of a kind book from the library. Your reading it and toward the end of the book you find out that the last 70 pages are missing... WTH.. Ruins it when you dont know the ending... Still thanks for sharing what you did and the pics..

tglaser

Observer
You know, looking back I'm not even sure how we got there, but we spent a night or two at Lake Nacimiento just northwest of Paso Robles. It was a great place to calm down and cool off and I think we even hooked a fish or two. We still had 5 or 6 days to kill before my woman flew into San Francisco - not that that'd be a problem at all. We still had 100% of the Big Sur area to explore. Surprisingly, or maybe not, there are not very many pictures from that part of the trip. I'm thinking loose steering + incredible, curving, winding roads don't make for very good photo ops. But no matter, I'll show you what I got and we'll keep on.

Last edited:

tglaser

Observer
From Nacimiento we doubled back and got on The One, as Californians would say. We headed north, ever so slowly toward SF through Big Sur. Again, for those of you that don't know, Big Sur is an incredibly rough, rocky, green, lush and dense part of the world. If any of you Easterners ever had problems with the IRS, etc - this would be a fantastic place to hide out for seven years or so. Matter of fact, at least half of the people I met here were visibly hiding from something or someone - and the others were hoping like hell their manuscript would get the green light from some far-off publishing company. Writers and outlaws make for natural bedfellows, it turns out. Both are apt to sleep in the hills, bathe in the culvert runoff beside the highway and fill their water jugs in mountain spring trickles. So, when in Big Sur and among the natives...

IMG_0692.jpgIMG_0693.jpgIMG_0694.jpgIMG_0696.jpg

Last edited:

tglaser

Observer
And for purely illustrative purposes, here's a photo of what Big Sur will do to you. I had short hair and a clean face before I entered the forest.

mail.google.com.jpg

tglaser

Observer
The next set of photos I have start off in SF and then trail west to Yosemite and then north to the Tahoe / Truckee area. I could see myself spending a few years around Yosemite and the surrounding area - incredibly beautiful, remote, pristine. The trails are endless, the wildlife plentiful and the mountains just sit and watch it all.

And it was a shame, you know, that the California coast decided to hit us with the June Gloom in late July. Everything I saw was beautiful, only problem was I only saw about half of it. You'll notice some of that as we move along here.

IMG_0748.JPGIMG_0750.JPGIMG_0754.JPGIMG_0761.jpg

tglaser

Observer
This lake you see - that's somewhere close to the start of the Rubicon trail - I later learned. We were cruising around some of the trails and I thought, "Man, there sure are a lot of Super Swampers back here..." A few Jeeps, Hummers, even saw a guy trying to impress his girlfriend in a brand new Range Rover. Funny that we stumbled through a piece of it and didn't even know...

Anyway, I brought that up just to tell there're lots of pictures of that lake. We camped there a couple nights and must have taken a hundred pictures. It was quite beautiful - although - I now know there are no fish in it. I know this because I never caught one.

IMG_0854.jpgIMG_0862.jpgIMG_0865.jpgIMG_0870.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior