LG Chem RESU lithium ion batteries - incredible!

john61ct

Adventurer
A lot of cool talk about the future and I agree it's looking bright.
But I'm interested in the now. And these batteries are super cool but a bit big for my Expedition setup. I need to keep a fridge running and charge camera phone batteries overnight; not recharge an electric golf cart or my Tesla.

What I'd like to see is one of these put on a Travel Trailer (base camp), optimized to work with about 500-700 watts of Solar panels or occasional generator use on cloudy days, that can run the A/C a couple hours a day. Most campers have 12V appliances now which is why I'm thinking the A/C is the main challenge the battery would face (and electric water/air heating?).
Keeping a fridge running off batteries while away from shore power is by no means a light requirement, especially if you don't have tons of solar or want control over when you run the genny.

A/C from batteries is a massive undertaking, but perhaps doable if you are sincere about only a couple hours a day.

Don't even think about less than 300AH, just comfortable for the former case, at least double that for the latter, lots more if doing both at the same time.

If using lead, make sure to use good monitoring gear to ensure you don't pull the bank below 50%, and try to get to Full 100% (not 99%) every cycle, especially with expensive quality true deep cycling AGMs.

If you can't, then just use cheapest FLA GCs.

adam88

Explorer
"then accident rates would theoretically be 0%. I'm fine with that"
Good to know people still have a sense of humor, even the younger generations...!
"theoretically 0%"...that's pretty funny.

Kind of reminds me of this guy in China couple years ago boasting to me about his area's new high-speed rail system..."We had an accident that killed maybe 20 people. But we also completed it faster than any other high speed rail in the world. It isn't perfect, but it's pretty good...and I'm fine with that."

Be cautious not to be too afraid of technology, it's progressive my friend :) My grandma still won't use a cordless phone or a DVD player.

wikel

Been looking at the Resu10 48v and having a hard time finding certified inverters that handle 48v and 120v. Most the inverters I've see are either for the "H" model at 400v with 240v output. SMA, INGECON, etc... made for the UK, AU, EU markets since the Resu line has been out in those markets for some time. Anyone seen a certified 48v/120v inverter charger? Also INGECON says they support offgrid but only 2400w on the output side (48v*50a), don't know if that's because of the battery limitation or inverter. Victron states they are certified but don't support off-grid.

I'm looking at a possible RV TC usage with 2 Resu 10 48v units (curse LG for having a 10 (48v) and 10H (400v) units, which makes it difficult to pin down specifics sometimes) having close to 20kw of storage. Inputs are solar, truck alternator (12v 320a dual), eu2000 gas genny and occasionally 120v 15a. Output is 1000-1200 watt AC, cooking, lights, etc... Will have to solve for the AC locked rotor amp start up. Not running AC constant, mainly for sleeping and keep the TC below 85 degrees. Most travels would be non US starting with central/south america and beyond.

Any idea on certified US based inverters that are supporting offgrid?

john61ct

Adventurer
IMO for House bank usage loads dictate the bank, otherwise tail wagging the dog.

Therefore should only use higher than 12V if specifically required, say a DC only air conditioner.

A very large DC-DC converter is one (expensive) workaround.

But better than searching / paying for rare and expensive high-voltage load devices in all the various categories.

IMO

Been looking at the Resu10 48v and having a hard time finding certified inverters that handle 48v and 120v. Most the inverters I've see are either for the "H" model at 400v with 240v output. SMA, INGECON, etc... made for the UK, AU, EU markets since the Resu line has been out in those markets for some time. Anyone seen a certified 48v/120v inverter charger? Also ING!ECON says they support offgrid but only 2400w on the output side (48v*50a), don't know if that's because of the battery limitation or inverter. Victron states they are certified but don't support off-grid.

I'm looking at a possible RV TC usage with 2 Resu 10 48v units (curse LG for having a 10 (48v) and 10H (400v) units, which makes it difficult to pin down specifics sometimes) having close to 20kw of storage. Inputs are solar, truck alternator (12v 320a dual), eu2000 gas genny and occasionally 120v 15a. Output is 1000-1200 watt AC, cooking, lights, etc... Will have to solve for the AC locked rotor amp start up. Not running AC constant, mainly for sleeping and keep the TC below 85 degrees. Most travels would be non US starting with central/south america and beyond.

Any idea on certified US based inverters that are supporting offgrid?

Try Outback Power, Xantrex, Schneider

Darwin

Explorer
I remember reading it on the install PDF. I believe a certified installer has to do the install as well

Last edited:

wikel

I remember reading it on the install PDF. I believe a certified installer has to do the install as well

Read through the manual this morning and did not find any statement to the effect of it cannot be used for mobile / rv installation environment. The standard statements are shock, impacts, etc... but that's a bit subjective. I'm a bit confused on the numbers in the manual for the RESU10 48V. Standard power vs. Maximum power vs. Peak power (3sec).... 3.3KW, 5KW and 7KW but then the Charge and discharge current being 56.7A. If standard power is 5KW, how can the discharge current be 56.7A? Also the Maximum current is listed at 119A @ 42v, which is matches the "standard power output of 5KW. Still leaning some maybe I'm missing something :/

Good news I think that I noticed a reference in the install manual that states right under that table... "If two battery packs are used, the nominal capacity and energy are equal to the sums of the two, but the maximum and peak power are equal to those of the RESU10." So this seems to state that if you get a RESU3.3 or RESU6.5 twin packs, your storage is doubled and your input and output power is at the RESU10 level. Just to note that for single RESU units max, 3.3 is 3KW, 6.5 is 4.2KW and 10 is 5KW. That's good for pairing lower models for output but doesn't do anything to increase the RESU10 unit. Best you seem to get there is double the capacity.

Thoughts?

Darwin

Explorer
I saw a video on youtube of a guy who is using Nissan Leaf batteries for like 24Kwh! in a bus conversion. Looked interesting and something to consider for a lot less money than the LG Chem batteries.

Have you found a price on RESU 10 48 volt battery?

wikel

I saw a video on youtube of a guy who is using Nissan Leaf batteries for like 24Kwh! in a bus conversion. Looked interesting and something to consider for a lot less money than the LG Chem batteries.

Have you found a price on RESU 10 48 volt battery?

Talked to a place out of Germany that looks to be -19% VAT plus about $300-400 shipping. Cost is approx 5k USD. Havent seen the availability in the US level where competition pushes the price down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998