Lifted MKV Golf

mldouthi

hey mldouthi do you have any more of those front spacers? I would like to have a set.

Im having another set machined right now for a guy in hawaii. Think I gave the shop enough material to make 2 sets and would be better to just have him cut them all at once. Sending you a PM about the price.

Anti Bling

Off Road Rabbit
photo(2).jpg

I got to test out the rabbit the other day out at nellis dunes over next to nellis air force base. I didn't have to roof rack on in this test. I didn't air down the tires until I got to the sandy area (I should have done it as soon as I hit the dirt). this little rabbit impressed the hell out of me. I never got stuck. while I wont be bombing through the desert like a trophy truck, this little car will go off-road quite well. I am sorry I don't have more pictures as I was having too much fun driving. my daughters were having a blast as well.

mldouthi

Here are a couple picture of mine off road if you guys dont want to go through my build thread. These are at a trail about a mile from my house. I also have trouble interrupting a fun trip to take photos of my car. :)

198115_10100603836449077_968999338_n.jpg

428668_10100286785536647_624163658_n.jpg

428668_10100286785511697_685029998_n.jpg

395286_10100196196353097_480544725_n.jpg

Jakes01234

Explorer
That sure does look fun. Flares and all looks great on the car and doesn't even look out of place.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Anti Bling

Off Road Rabbit
I'm thinking of using rear coilover perches as spacers in the back(http://www.esetuning.com/Solo-Werks-Solo-S1-Rear-Spring-Perch-Assembly-p/s1vw006-26.htm). Would that work? I was wondering if the size would fit the stock or tiguan springs. I know some guys with coilovers take the perches off, so I assume the size of the springs is the same.

I removed a set of coil overs from my rabbit when doing the tig spring swap. I realized that the coilover mount (that same as what you posted) were going to bind with the use of the longer tiguan springs. I can not guarantee that will work, but I also cant say that they will NOT work. with just the tig springs they lifted the rear just fine. but my application required just a little bit more lift. so I picked up the Jeep spacers. I have not installed them as of this post. but I am planning on installing them soon. when I do I will take crappy cell phone pictures to share here. also you should know that the coilover perch you referred to was listed as $42.75 each. so you will need 2 @ $85.50 plus shipping. OR you can get the jeep spacers http://www.amazon.com/Daystar-KJ09138BK-Comfort-Spring-Spacer/dp/B001GH1OL0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1389724695&sr=8-1&keywords=daystar+kj09138bk for $36.95.

hugodufour

I removed a set of coil overs from my rabbit when doing the tig spring swap. I realized that the coilover mount (that same as what you posted) were going to bind with the use of the longer tiguan springs. I can not guarantee that will work, but I also cant say that they will NOT work. with just the tig springs they lifted the rear just fine. but my application required just a little bit more lift. so I picked up the Jeep spacers. I have not installed them as of this post. but I am planning on installing them soon. when I do I will take crappy cell phone pictures to share here. also you should know that the coilover perch you referred to was listed as $42.75 each. so you will need 2 @ $85.50 plus shipping. OR you can get the jeep spacers http://www.amazon.com/Daystar-KJ09138BK-Comfort-Spring-Spacer/dp/B001GH1OL0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1389724695&sr=8-1&keywords=daystar+kj09138bk for $36.95.

Nice. Are the jeep spacer a perfect fit? Also, I've seen another of your post where you ask for spacers for the front. Do you want to go even higher? :D I've read somewhere that the Tiguan H&R lift spring are good for a resulting 3" lift on the mkv. I wonder if going higher would arise new issues requiring perhaps a steering arm.

Gcraft

Wowww
I am so loving this thread, I followed mldouthi's original build thread on another site and am so happy to see it here to.

I have been wanting to do this for a while to my 2007 rabbit but I remember mldouth mentioning in his original build thread that there was some death wobble at speed.
Is that still a problem?

Take care
G.

Isgro

I was comparing mkv rear shock to the given pro comp model:

Pro comp: http://www.4wheelparts.com/Lift-Kit...er.aspx?t_c=1&t_s=90&t_pt=3306&t_pn=EXP326515
Bilstein HD: http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Jetta_V--2.5/Suspension/Shocks/ES11382/

Maybe the picture of the pro comp isn't right, but at first glance, it doesn't look like the ring at the top of the pro comp would work out of the box on our mkV.

I wouldn't rely on the picture used on the website. They don't often photograph every variation, so the one pictured is probably just a representation, not exact. It looks like Anti Bling popped in with some great info, so you should be good.

I still haven't gotten a chance to get my car sorted. My house renovations have slowed me down in the "fun" department a bit. I've got the springs and steel wheels ready to go. I just need to grab the shocks and some all terrain tires.

hugodufour

I wouldn't rely on the picture used on the website. They don't often photograph every variation, so the one pictured is probably just a representation, not exact. It looks like Anti Bling popped in with some great info, so you should be good.

I still haven't gotten a chance to get my car sorted. My house renovations have slowed me down in the "fun" department a bit. I've got the springs and steel wheels ready to go. I just need to grab the shocks and some all terrain tires.

Yes, we got really nice information from Anti-Bling, it's almost a perfect fit except for the sleeve needed. In the meantime, I was thinking of getting the full Bilstein HD kit, struts and rear shocks. That would be a perfect fit. I'll see.

nickw

Adventurer
View attachment 205468

I got to test out the rabbit the other day out at nellis dunes over next to nellis air force base. I didn't have to roof rack on in this test. I didn't air down the tires until I got to the sandy area (I should have done it as soon as I hit the dirt). this little rabbit impressed the hell out of me. I never got stuck. while I wont be bombing through the desert like a trophy truck, this little car will go off-road quite well. I am sorry I don't have more pictures as I was having too much fun driving. my daughters were having a blast as well.

Hey AB - looks sharp.

Since you've been running the setup for a month or so, any further input on how it's working?

Still trying to fully understand what size is going to fit;

- 215/75 R15 (27.9" x 8.3"), fit but as you say are really close.
- 235/75 R15 (28.9" x 9.3") seem to fit according to mldouthi.

Based on my measurements, 28"+ tires are REALLY pushing it but seem to fit based on actual fitment.

I'm limited 16" wheels since I have a Sportwagen and was considering:
- 215/65 R16 (27" x 8.7")
- 215/70 R16 (28" x 8.6") which seem to be on the cuff.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Anti Bling

Off Road Rabbit
Hey AB - looks sharp.

Since you've been running the setup for a month or so, any further input on how it's working?

Still trying to fully understand what size is going to fit;

- 215/75 R15 (27.9" x 8.3"), fit but as you say are really close.
- 235/75 R15 (28.9" x 9.3") seem to fit according to mldouthi.

Based on my measurements, 28"+ tires are REALLY pushing it but seem to fit based on actual fitment.

I'm limited 16" wheels since I have a Sportwagen and was considering:
- 215/65 R16 (27" x 8.7")
- 215/70 R16 (28" x 8.6") which seem to be on the cuff.

Any thoughts?

I have driven it for 20,000 miles already. everything is running very well. I am sad to say that the Jeep spring spacers I picked up did not fit the rear springs.

Mldouthi trimmed his fenders and is running fender flares so he could run the larger tires. I did not trim anything. I did remove the lower molding in the front of the rear fender opening and I took a rubber mallet and "persuaded" any metal protrusions. now the rear tire has at least 1/2 inch of clearance at all points throughout the suspension cycle.
I hope this set up works on the jetta wagon. I am looking at picking up a TDI jetta wagon soon and swapping this setup on to that.
I am planning on a two week trip through Oregon soon. I just picked up a Cabellas SUV/truck tent and I tested the fit to the rear of the rabbit with great success.

as for the tires fitting the 16 inch wheels... I am not sure. I am at the maximum tire for the stock wheel openings on 15's. I would keep the overall diameter to at least if not a little bit smaller than what I am running now.

I picked up a scan gauge to monitor my MPG and other parameters, as I have the base model without all the fancy dash gadgets. while my set up is not stock (stage one ECU flash, CAI, MAF insert, light weight one piece flywheel and stage one clutch, 2 1/2 inch cat back exhaust with a single magnaflow muffler, ETC) I did see a reduction in MPG. I think the added drag from the roof rack and the weight of the larger tires dropped my MPG on the highway to about 22MPG. I drive this car every week back and forth from las vegas 270 miles to LA one way.
I am thinking of upgrading the front struts to the Bilstein HD struts and I will upgrade to bilstein rear shocks. I am also thinking about removing the rear springs and installing air bags so I can adjust ride height when adding weight of the gear I will be carrying. I need to get this car as close to ready for my trip in April so I will take pictures and updating this thread as soon as I get more things ready.

Anti Bling

Off Road Rabbit
trying out the cabellas deluxe truck tent. its better than trying to set it up for the first time in the dark at a camp spot. while it is not a roof top tent this should work until I get a small trailer built. I am toying around with building a offroad teardrop style trailer to tow behind this.
I will be removing the rear seats, spare tire and building a platform. the added room with out the rear seats and spare tire allows me to utilize the space for gear. I am going to be building a spare tire mount that will slide into a receiver hitch to hold it in place. that should really allow me to use the area the factory spare tire took up. I am not sure if a spare AT tire will fit in the spare tire well. in these pictures you can see that the bike rack is mounted but a large expo rack will be built soon. I have a 40 inch LED light bar and (4) 4inch LED flood lights that will be mounted onto the rack as well. I should be able to stow an ez-up, a roof top bag, 100w solar panel and still have room for more gear.

IMG_77751_zps58dd783c.jpg

IMG_8726_zps7dd69cfe.jpg

IMG_3422_zps84a23bd0.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan