Lifted MKV Golf

nickw

Adventurer
Thanks for the info - I like where your going with your rig, outside of the box and a sweet setup.

22 mpg - what were you getting before the mods?

Sure you want to come to Oregon in April:)

Anti Bling

Off Road Rabbit
Thanks for the info - I like where your going with your rig, outside of the box and a sweet setup.

22 mpg - what were you getting before the mods?

Sure you want to come to Oregon in April:)

i was getting around 26 MPG if i could keep my foot of the gas pedal. i could get better MPG if i reverted back to stock. but i like a bit more performance. the rabbit has a small fuel tank (13-ish gallons) i wish there was a way to swap in a Passat wagon fuel tank. my wife's passat carries about 17 gal. the added fuel capacity would help on longer drives. i plan i adding a couple of 5 gal fuel jugs to the rear tire rack to add range.

why would i not want to come to Oregon in April? still to cloudy/rainy? we are scouting the area so we can relocate to the area. Las Vegas is NOT what it's cracked up to be. after tolerating this area for 17 years i forgot what those tall bushy things look like. i think people call them trees. also i would like to see water in its natural habitat and not from a man made "lake".

nickw

Adventurer
i was getting around 26 MPG if i could keep my foot of the gas pedal. i could get better MPG if i reverted back to stock. but i like a bit more performance. the rabbit has a small fuel tank (13-ish gallons) i wish there was a way to swap in a Passat wagon fuel tank. my wife's passat carries about 17 gal. the added fuel capacity would help on longer drives. i plan i adding a couple of 5 gal fuel jugs to the rear tire rack to add range.

why would i not want to come to Oregon in April? still to cloudy/rainy? we are scouting the area so we can relocate to the area. Las Vegas is NOT what it's cracked up to be. after tolerating this area for 17 years i forgot what those tall bushy things look like. i think people call them trees. also i would like to see water in its natural habitat and not from a man made "lake".

Not bad if you are tolerant of rain and clouds, it doesn't typically start getting nice until May or later.

Keep us posted on the rear carrier, that should be a slick setup.

N

Anti Bling

Off Road Rabbit
they work great. I just wanted to use a high pressure gas shock to help control the sway because I removed both front and rear sway bars.

Anti Bling

Off Road Rabbit
I had the joy of replacing all four wheel bearings. after 120,000 miles the rear bearings were starting to howl and the front felt "loose". the rears were the worst to replace as you need a HUGE breaker bar and an M18 triple square. the car feels nice and solid now.

Anti Bling

Off Road Rabbit
I replaced the rear shock with new Bilstein 24-214667 shocks that I picked up from the local 4wheel parts store. I also picked up a spare 215/75-15 BFG AT tire and had it mounted onto a spare wheel that I had. i even picked up a Rotopax 3 gal fuel can and wheel mount and locking handle. i am thinking of grabbing another 3 gal fuel can and the Rotopax extension.
this afternoon I will be seeing my fabrication guy and we are going to talk about building a HD receiver hitch to the rear, spare tire mount that will slide into the receiver and i will see if he can weld up my roof rack with light mounts.

after a quick couple of miles with the new rear shocks, I am happy to say that they were a good upgrade from the ProComp e3000 shocks. the rear feels firm and they do a great job of controlling sway. I have removed both sway bars. the Bilstein high pressure gas shock were a pain to install but I used a cut up wire coat hanger to hold the shock slightly compressed and then bolted it in. the one side took and hour to swap out and the other side took all but 15 minutes. an added byproduct was that the car leveled out a bit. before swapping the shocks, the rear squatted a bit and i was thinking about adding spring spacers in the rear to level it out. but the high pressure gas shocks gave it a little boost. i am still thinking about replacing the rear springs with air bags so i can adjust for added weight when loaded or unloaded.

I usually post on vortex,but just found this thread:cool:

Thats good to hear about the shocks,How much flex does the rear have now,like Before a wheel will come of the ground? Do you have any pics of the car with the new shocks?,It would be nice not having to use jeep spacers to lift the rear

And for lights I just ordered a few these for my jetta I will post pics once I get them on
http://www.amazon.com/LEDSTORE-Light-Power-Tractor-Degree/dp/B007ZGBLNW/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1392824125&sr=1-1&keywords=led+off+road

Good luck with the roof rack,the car looks great:beer:

Anti Bling

Off Road Rabbit
I usually post on vortex,but just found this thread:cool:

Thats good to hear about the shocks,How much flex does the rear have now,like Before a wheel will come of the ground? Do you have any pics of the car with the new shocks?,It would be nice not having to use jeep spacers to lift the rear

And for lights I just ordered a few these for my jetta I will post pics once I get them on
http://www.amazon.com/LEDSTORE-Light-Power-Tractor-Degree/dp/B007ZGBLNW/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1392824125&sr=1-1&keywords=led+off+road

Good luck with the roof rack,the car looks great:beer:
thanks for the complement.
i haven't taken updated pictures yet but i will take some shortly. i picked up the square versions of those same LED lights. i will be using 4 of them. two on each side of the roof rack. i also picked up a 40 inch double row LED bar to mount on the front of the roof rack. that should give me enough light on each side to set up camp when it gets dark and the front LED bar should light up the next county before i even get there.

Laxaholic

Adventurer
This little thing is great man, love the "only get what you need" sense of the whole thing. Very well thought out. Cheers brotha :costumed-smiley-007

Test fitted my new wheel and tire combo today on my jetta,Unfortunately tire rack only had 1 wheel in stock and the rest wont be here till late march :mad:

215/75/15 federal at 15x6.5 wheel

Its fits great no rubbing,the only issue I had was the brake caliper hit the wheel weights due to the wheels being 15",but I went back to the tire shop and they installed some slimmer weights,solved the problem ,I may go with a more aggressive tire than the federals down the road,but I wanted a smooth ride for right now:beer:

1621830_822491077767122_1616216078_n.jpg

Anti Bling

Off Road Rabbit
got most of the rear tire carrier built this past weekend. it should be finished up today. we are still trying to figure out how to mount my (2) 3 gallon Rotopax fuel cans. I have a Rotopax tire mount but how the rear tire is mounted it wont work. plus I didn't want them hanging out that far back. maybe they will go on the roof. I still need to trim the lower bumper. an added bonus is that this bolts on where the rear bumper structure bolts to the body of the car. it could be unbolted and the rear steel bumper reattached. I will be upgrading the bolts in this area with something more stout. I might be able to use a high lift jack on the rear of the car if need to get out of trouble or change a tire. to bolt the tire to the unit, we used an old hub that I had laying around from when I replaced all of my wheel bearings/hubs. this made building the carrier easier. factory lug bolts are used. so far it works very well. the unit blocked the license plate so I figure out a way so that it was visible. my quick solution was to paint an old hubcap I had laying around and then screw the plate to it and slap it to the spare tire. it does not have a light to make it "legal" but ill tackle that soon. a big thank you goes out to Devvon at Sin City metalwerks for fabing this for me on short notice. also thank you goes out to my buddy Scott who helped with the tear down/reinstallation and brainstorming.

IMG_3501.jpg

IMG_9614-1.jpg

.jpg

IMG_3860.jpg

IMG_7013.jpg

IMG_4032.jpg

IMG_8884.jpg

Anti Bling

Off Road Rabbit
Test fitted my new wheel and tire combo today on my jetta,Unfortunately tire rack only had 1 wheel in stock and the rest wont be here till late march :mad:

215/75/15 federal at 15x6.5 wheel

Its fits great no rubbing,the only issue I had was the brake caliper hit the wheel weights due to the wheels being 15",but I went back to the tire shop and they installed some slimmer weights,solved the problem ,I may go with a more aggressive tire than the federals down the road,but I wanted a smooth ride for right now:beer:

1621830_822491077767122_1616216078_n.jpg

sweet!!!!! please post more pictures as you get further along.

attachment.php

That looks awesome,I like the raw steel look,really toughens up the look up of the car.
The new bilstein shocks really look like they raise the rear up a bit,going to install the same ones pretty soon.Hows the rear flex/travel with those?

Now that I see your tires,I think I may want something a little more aggressive,so I may just keep the one I got now as a spare,and buy these
http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/ti...bmitProductSize.do?r=OHDINT|pc|45324&pc=11279

Just not sure if they would be to much for the car,(steering,vibrations)People put them on subarus all the time,
I also am working on mounting a small shovel on my roof rack,and I got my led lights all wired up and mounted,Going to get some pics tomorrow:beer::beer:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior