Light weight rock crawler trailer

Woods

Explorer
You can count on it being well abused, before I get to the Con. This little trailer's headed for a long winter in Johnson Valley.

I've rock crawled with my trailer it makes it more fun and challenging,
I would take it out on some local trails to work out the bugs before you pull it on the Rubicon though.

Good luck and I'll watch the build.

Woods

Explorer
I'm keeping an eye on that build. Will be interesting to see how much the box weighs. I'm a much better wood worker, than I am a metal worker...

Looking great man. A fello Jeeper I met here in Victoria is doing much the same, lightweight offroad trailer build. He is a boat builder by trade, and is building a wood/epoxy/glass trailer tub on a lightweight steel frame.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/65881-My-Woody-expo-trailer.

EDIT: His build thread is on here as well...

Just thought you might find this thread similar and interesting. You started with the frame, he started with the tub, together one sick and LIGHT offroad trailer!

:D

Subscribed.

Woods

Explorer
Got the wheels on. Total weight; frame, suspension, max coupler and wheels 390 lbs.

Some pictures:

t10.jpg

t7.jpg

t8.jpg

Last edited:

Woods

Explorer
Don't hold your breath. I've never tig welded before and am now starting the aluminum box. This might take a while. :lurk:

Maybe I'll like tig welding so much, that I'll build my next trailer out of aluminum.

bat

Explorer
I am having hard time with the way swing arms attachment. What is going to keep the swing arm from bending the 2 bushing mounts on a hard impact and maybe pushing the tire into the frame.

Last edited:

Woods

Explorer
Not certain about these. They are control arm bushings from a full size Dodge truck. Just hoping they do not flex too much. Will do some testing on them, before I hit the road.

I am having hard time with the way swing arms attachment. What is going to keep the swing arm from bending the 2 bushing mounts on a hard impact and maybe pushing the tire into the frame.

Woods

Explorer

Found a fair way to test this. I balanced the trailer on it's side, with the face of the tire flat on the ground. With about 340 lbs. of side load, I'm getting about 1/4" deflection. I'm calling it good.

Imageshack took my pics down ;(

Last edited:

Woods

Explorer
The frame is finished and the trailer is plumbed and lights wired. These are the last pics before I put the deck down.

Imageshack took my pics down ;(

Last edited:

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Looks really cool. That Jockey handle is really smart, but won't it reduce your range of motion? I see a bolt for the max coupler, I assume you can extend the tongue length? I think you might want to have that be adjustable.

Woods

Explorer
won't it reduce your range of motion? I see a bolt for the max coupler, I assume you can extend the tongue length?

Plenty of room for the handle. Tongue length is fixed. The bolt is the silent hitch pin

Imageshack took my pics down ;(G]

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater