LJ storage drawers

bmonday

Adventurer
jerdog53 said:
Well i already have the Tuffy unit and am satisfied with it otherwise i would be interested in something like this provided the price was right.

I think it works pretty well with the back seat retained for the dog!

x2. Already have a Tuffy, and frankly pretty thrilled with it. Had I known Martyn and crew were going to do an LJ drawer I may have held off, but seems silly to replace an existing solution that's working perfectly for me now.

r_DSCN0328.jpg

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Maybe I'm just looking at this the wrong way, but my perspective is that there is value in filling a void where no mfr currently makes a product.

Tuffy has their big 12" box that completely fills the cargo area. There are no other alternatives currently.

If you wanted to fill a niche in the market, a low profile drawer, with some options such as a slide out work surface, maybe a modular stackable configuration where a Refrig can mount on one side, and another drawer can mount on the other side would be cool....

|----------|
| |
----|| | |-------------||-----
|| | | -- ||
||_________| |____________||
||--------------------------||
|| -- ||
------------------------------

{edit} darn, my ASCI pictogram image did not work!
------------------------------

Anyway, I just want a shallow full depth/width slide out drawer and a heavy duty top that I can secure additional tiedowns too. I'd love a slide out work surface too, but could live without it.

roadkill

Adventurer
the 12" box is what I want, I do not want to go with Tuffy's box cause of the weight. anyway we can lighten our vehicles and not give up strength is a plus. heres a rough sketch of what I had in mind

tmp5.jpg

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
roadkill said:
the 12" box is what I want, I do not want to go with Tuffy's box cause of the weight. anyway we can lighten our vehicles and not give up strength is a plus. heres a rough sketch of what I had in mind

tmp5.jpg

A simple box like this, 34.25"wide x 12"tall x 20.5"deep would run $505.00 for a short run.

I'll work out pricing for a 8.75" tall box.

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
Based upon what has been said here I understand that there are 2 different height requests: One for a unit with an exterior height of 12" and another for an interior drawer height of 4-6".

The 12" exterior height is no problem at all. An interior drawer height of 4" is not practical, a minimum of 6" is more useful so I have designed for the taller 6" interior size.

Based upon these two requests AT has come up with the following:

LJ 875
Ext 8.75"H x 34.25"W x 20.5"L
Int 6.25"H x 29.75"W x 18"L
Single drawer, 250lb rated slides, locking slam catch
Wt 32 lbs $465

LJ 12
Ext 12"H x 34.25"W x 20.5"L
Int 10.25"H x 29.75"W x 18"L
Wt 37 lbs $505

In order for this to make economic sense for us we would have to do a run of 5 units. The cost to do machine set up for one piece is cost prohibitive.

Here's a sketch base upon dimensions given by Roadkill. Note that the left had side of the top hangs over 2" to allow the drawer to be pushed to the right and clear the LJ rear door latch pin.

Give us your feedback. if a consensus can be reached on dimensions and 5 units can be built to hold the costs down, then AT is happy to serve the LJ owner.

Attachments

• AT LJ Drawer variations.jpg
    AT LJ Drawer variations.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 67

roadkill

Adventurer
is there any way to have a board attached to the 2" overhang to cover the opening when viewed from the front?

elcoyote

roadkill said:
is there any way to have a board attached to the 2" overhang to cover the opening when viewed from the front?

It could be done but then you would lose the potential to store something in that little spot. I can think of a few things that might fit neatly in there like my coveralls etc.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
elcoyote said:
It could be done but then you would lose the potential to store something in that little spot. I can think of a few things that might fit neatly in there like my coveralls etc.

I agree, I think that 2" slot would be very handy.

I am a bit concerned about the dimensions quoted above. The Tuffy website shows dimensions that are a bit lower and a bit shorter in depth. My truck's measurements (2005 LJ Rubicon) seem to be closer to the Tuffy's measurements than the ones stated by Roadkill

Per: http://www.tuffyproducts.com/p-182-131-lj-unlimited-security-drawer.aspx
20 1/8”L, Box 34 1/4”W, Overall 53 1/4” W, 11 3/4”H

Looking at the photos I posted, this seems right, because the seat back continues to slope above the 8" transition mark indicated. If 6" drawer is the lowest profile you'll fabricate at this time, then let's agree on 6, and reduce the proposed dimension 1/4" accordingly (I really want it lower! :)

Therefore, I think the final measurements should be:

LJ 85
Ext 8.50"H x 34.25"W x 20.25"L
Int 6.00"H x 29.75"W x 18"L (keep the same?)
Wt 32 lbs $465

LJ 12
Ext 12"H x 34.25"W x 20.25"L
Int 10.25"H x 29.75"W x 18"L(keep the same?)
Wt 37 lbs $505

I'm amazed at the difference in weights! Mario posted. Tuffy quotes a 97 pound shipping weight, without dividers!

Speaking of dividers, is this an availabe option? With this width (29.75"), it seems that having 3 grooves slotted into the 3/4" composite panels, dividing the load space into quarters would be very cool. 3/4" dividers seems a bit overkill, but maybe 1/2" material could be used as dividers?

LJ-Drawers.gif

elcoyote

Those dimensional changes would be no problem.

Dividers are doable however not in the way you have described due to the nature of the material and the coating used. The route I would take would be an aluminum divider that can be placed anywhere the end user chooses rather than a spot AT does. It can be simply installed by the end user with a drill and the threaded inserts that the rest of the box is made from. The threaded inserts have a sealed end and although they would be visible on the outside of the drawer, have a very clean looking appearance. In the end, this will be a more robust installation.

TCM

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0006
Given we have a split decision on the height of the drawer at 12" and 8.5" might I suggest we split the difference and make the height 10.25". This will make it much easier to reach the 5 units necessary for Martyn to produce these. Also, according to my measurements at any height of 10.25" or less it will not be necessary to have the 2" offset on the left side of the drawer. As long as the box has an external height of 10.25' or less the drawer will open beneath the latch pin/mounting bracket. As for the external width and depth of the box, my respective measurements come to 35" without carpet and a depth of 21", assuming the 10.25" height.

I like the idea of an aluminum divider that can be positioned as desired and would probably use two of them.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Couple of thoughts:
1. There are a couple of major Jeep forums where this group buy can be posted. There's JeepForum.com, MyJeepRocks.com, and RubiconOwnersforum.com
2. Totally right about the lower drawer height not needing the 2" offset. Not sure if that makes a big difference to AT in fabrication or not. On the dimensions I posted, I only changed the height so that some of the pieces could be interchangable, if it matters?
3. Its not clear from Martyn's or Mario's posts if the minimum 5 orders can be a combination, such as three 12" and two 8", or if it needs to be 10 total, five of each?

roadkill

Adventurer
I have posted on JU and there seems to be no interest there. I'm really wanting a 12" unit to have a flat deck in the rear. I'm not sure how I'd like the 10.25" unit, I'd need to think on that but I'm sure it will work out just fine.

elcoyote

nwoods said:
Couple of thoughts:
1. There are a couple of major Jeep forums where this group buy can be posted. There's JeepForum.com, MyJeepRocks.com, and RubiconOwnersforum.com
2. Totally right about the lower drawer height not needing the 2" offset. Not sure if that makes a big difference to AT in fabrication or not. On the dimensions I posted, I only changed the height so that some of the pieces could be interchangable, if it matters?
3. Its not clear from Martyn's or Mario's posts if the minimum 5 orders can be a combination, such as three 12" and two 8", or if it needs to be 10 total, five of each?

If you went with the lower drawer based upon your measurements then your net cubic volume would not be much different from the taller narrower version.

We would want to produce the 5 of the same size. Cost are incurred to create different machine set ups for different sizes. We can do one off stuff however the price can climb by up to 30%

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78