LJ storage drawers

roadkill

Adventurer
TCM said he might be down with the 10.25 tall, 21" long and full width (no 2" offset) box if we can get 5 people to commit to save on the set up fees. I was hoping for the 12" version but can live with a 10.25" unit. Martyn, what kind of cost are we looking at for such a box? Between TCM, Beowulf, and myself we could get 3 orders for that box.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
roadkill said:
TCM said he might be down with the 10.25 tall, 21" long and full width (no 2" offset) box if we can get 5 people to commit to save on the set up fees. I was hoping for the 12" version but can live with a 10.25" unit. Martyn, what kind of cost are we looking at for such a box? Between TCM, Beowulf, and myself we could get 3 orders for that box.

LJ 10.25
Ext 10.25"H x 34.25"W x 21"L
Int 7.75"H x 29.75"W x 18.5"L
Single drawer, 250lb rated slides, locking slam catch
Wt 38 lbs
$493.00 short run of 5 drawers
$680.00 custom run, less than 5 drawers

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Martyn, what is the lower drawer height shown in the photo of Scott's truck?

drawermain.jpg

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
nwoods said:
Martyn, what is the lower drawer height shown in the photo of Scott's truck?

drawermain.jpg

The lower drawer in the prototype had an overall height of 6 inches. It didn't give a tall enough inner drawer height, so we increased the inner drawer to 6" of height in the production models. We also bumped up the material from 1/2" to 3/4" to prevent flexing.

JPFreek1

Explorer
I suppose the same width drawers would work just as well in a TJ with the rear seats removed. Dear Santa... :)

Cheers,
Graham

I have measured the dimensions for a TJ and the width of 34.25" is right-on with the LJ. However, since the backseat of the TJ has to be removed in order to make it work, the length can actually be lengthened to 30.5" and still allow for a height of 20.75" (one 12" drawer and one 8.75" drawer).

For anyone considering an option for the TJ, I saw Scott's Disco in person at SEMA in November and these drawers are the highest quality I've seen.

TCM

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0006
I decided to order a one-off custom drawer from Adventure Trailers for my LJ. The final dimensions are 34.5"x23.75"x9". In order to accommodate a drawer of this size I had to make three modifications to the Jeep. One, I moved the back seat forward 2" by drilling a new set of holes in the seat mounting brackets. In doing so, two inches had to be cut off the front of the brackets so they did not extend out into the foot well. Two, I removed the felt padding from behind the carpet over the wheel arches to gain more width. Three, I replaced the torx head bolts holding the seat belt anchors to the wheel arches with a hex head bolt without a shank. The torx bolts had a shank that kept the head from snugging up against the body, whereas the hex bolt can be snugged up tight against the anchor and the body. This prevents the anchor from rotating around the bolt but the extra clearance is worth the trade-off. With these changes I will have 1/4" clearance to the tail gate latch, 1/4" clearance to the back of the seat and 1/8" clearance between the sides of the box and the seat belt anchor bolts. The bolts are the limiting factor on width and the clearance to the tub along the sides of the drawer is a more generous 3/8". The height of the drawer was purely discretionary on my part. I wanted an available depth inside the drawer of 6.5". Martyn thought it would take about two weeks for delivery and I will post pictures of the install.

TCM

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0006
Here are some photos of the AT drawer installed in my LJ. Martyn turns out a great product. After the install it was apparent that I could have made the drawer .5" deeper (24.25") which would have put it up against the back seat and 1" taller (10"). Again this is only because I moved my back seat forward by 2.25". The height is limited by the fridge and the tail gate latch, any taller than 10" and the lid of the fridge would hit the roof when opening it and the latch would interfere with the side of the box. The fridge is a Waeco CF-25.

3501641772_57380b4f45_b.jpg

3500828071_62a092e284_b.jpg

3500828575_11c01c9da4_b.jpg

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
I can confirm that the drawer in TCM's LJ is outstanding. Incredible fit and finish from Martyn. It is now on my list of kit.

BPage

Adventurer
So far only Roadkill has sent in his order, to my knowledge.

If you want to be put be part of the order please either PM me or send me an e mail, info at adventuretrailers dot com
All
I am new to the site, and I know this conversation took place back in 2006...however does anyone know if "AT" built the boxes discussed in this thread?
I own a 2005 LJ and am currently in the market for a storage box and this seems to be right up my alley!
Any help would be appreciated.
Page

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12