lockers what type do the g wagons come with?

r3run33

Adventurer
Hello not that familiar with the g wagon; and have been going back a forth with a friend from australia about lockers. Besides Jeep the G wagon is the only other vehicle we thought of that comes with a bunch of lockers. Is the G wagons lockers e lockers or are they air type like the ARB? thanks. The debate arose from a failure of his ARB locker (oil in the lines) and insists on going with a e locker type. thanks

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
There are a lot if other vehicles out that have lockers. I believe Mercedes happens to be the first to really offer it in a mass produced vehicle. Toyota has had lockers as an option for at least 20 years.

Molon Labe

r3run33

Adventurer
sorry yes but we were just debating the longevity of a factory equipt newer production vehicles. With reliability testing of the major manufactures being offered when a stock vehicle is offered with a locker I was curious what mercedes offers.

DUTCH

Curmudgeon
On the older W460 G's, the lockers are mechanical hydraulic.

On the newer W463 G's the lockers are electric->vacuum->hydraulic.

762X39

Explorer
The 404 has a mechanical linkage to operate the lockers, big Unimogs are pneumatic. Regarding the ARB, I am thinking that if there is oil in the lines perhaps some simple service needs to be done. Nothing is maintenance free and there is no "better way". E lockers can suffer from electrical issues. :coffee:

Last edited:

swb

Observer
I have always wondered why the mechanical-hydraulic locker system was not used by others. Seems to be an excellent and reliable method, just like hydraulic brakes in every car.
Perhaps the low speed of activation?

DUTCH

Curmudgeon
I have always wondered why the mechanical-hydraulic locker system was not used by others. Seems to be an excellent and reliable method, just like hydraulic brakes in every car.
Perhaps the low speed of activation?

"low speed of activation"? How so?

swb

Observer
"low speed of activation"? How so?

Well with airlockers its almost instant but with the G (W460, could be something particular to mine) it can take several rotations to engage.
Its not an issue for me, just need a bit more forward planning.

Longtallsally

Adventurer
No matter what type of locker you are talking about, if it is a true spool and not a clutch or computer controlled one, then there will need to be some rotation just to mesh the gears to lock everything together. Speed is a factor as well I'm sure.

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
404s are mechanical. Not air or cable.

All lockers are effectively mechanical devices - its how they are actuated that varies.

I am pretty sure 404 Unimogs are cable actuated.

Forgot about including Steyr Puch Pinzgauers - they use a hydraulic system for both front and rear lockers and also for the 4x4 engagement. The older Haflingers are purely mechanical linkages. Both can take a bit of time to actually engage. On the Pinzgauer the light on the dash doesn't come on until the locker is actually "locked in" sort of like landing gear on airplanes...

zimm

Expedition Leader
the G lockers are the most complicated turd buckets on the planet...

first, you have an electronic nanny, that only lets you lock them in a certain order, and, is susceptible to electronic failure. not common, but it does happen. there is a blog post out there that tells you what resistor to solder out to allow user selection.

second.1, you have the vacuum system that the nanny is speaking to. the valves can go bad, and do, like all vacuum systems. the vacuum lines supply vacuum to hydraulic actuators in part 3... but first...

second.2, the engine cannot reliably supply enough vacuum to run the whole system, and the center diff lock relys exclusively on vacuum, so there is aux pump in the system...

third, the actuators hydraulic system engage slave cylinders that in turn push a dog toothed sleeve to "lock" the differential. the arm to the sleeve is known to bend, and the teeth round and cause it to slip out of lock under use.

when the vacuum system develops a leak, and it will eventually, you will find that when you engage the "last" (read that as "front" because of the nanny), the system will not have enough vacuum to keep the vacuum dependent center engaged, and it will release. the nanny, in turn, thinks you deliberately opened the center, which is its cue to open the rear, as the order of center, rear, front is strictly enforced by it.

if the aux pump dies, and it eventually will, you may engage all three locks in preparation for a difficult climb, only to find that when the rpm's dip low, so does the vacuum, and all three open up on you again.

both scenarios are just "oh so fun".

there isnt a worse locker system on the planet. the safety and reliability of the G system isnt even in the same ballpark as the simplicity and economy of the ARB's, or toyotas simple electric motor or cables. please. damage to any part of the system in any of those results in you being STUCK locked, not it opening up when you need it on an off camber climb.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears