Long bed vs short bed tacoma

racerjb

Observer
I did a search on here but did not find much on long bed tacomas. I am considering downsizing from my tundra to the '16 tacoma. I like having all the bed space as I have become used to it for various reasons such as work, family, traveling, etc. Anyhow, I was wondering if there was anyone who has a long bed and wished they got a short bed instead. I understand the trade off between the two. Short bed with shorter wheelbase has the advantage but long bed is better for carrying gear. Thanks in advance for the input.

Adventurous

Explorer
I had a short bed, got a long bed, and would never go back. The 6' bed is just so much more useful, whether it's in every day home owner use, shuttling bikes, or for camping.

justrom

Adventurer
We love the long bed in our Double Cab Tacoma, gave us the room for a larger rooftop tent and plenty of space for gear. The only thing to consider is that (I think) several of the TRD option packages are not available on the double cab long bed. So you do have to decide between more bed space and more options...

MotoDave

Explorer
The turning circle on the double cab long bed tacomas isn't much different than a tundra, so if you want a Tacoma to gain some maneuverability you may want to drive both first.

I'd go for the short bed for the TRD off road package (locker) and the better maneuvering.

voodoojk

Adventurer
I think I can weigh in on this since I have owned both.

1) 2009 DCLB Trd sport-nice truck. Had a topper with leather interior. Comfy ride but it drives LONG. the xtra 13" on the frame with the 6' bed made it feel like a wiener dog going down the road.. Long and narrow. It was a pain in tight parking lots as you have to swing it like its a fullsize long bed. The 6' bed was nice to have but besides sleeping in it I didn't really need it.

2) 2012 DCSB trd off road. -huge difference with the shorter truck. Drives similar to my 4dr jk. I don't look to " swing it around" in parking lots looking for the safe spot to park. Drives like an SUV if that makes sense. I now feel like it will work off road without dragging belly all over. Feels better all around.

NOW THE BED SIZE DEBATE. .. I bought my tacoma for a off road/ overland rig.The short bed is a HUGE cargo area. More the my 4dr and 2dr jk combined. More then most ,if not all, SUV on the trail. I look at it as a cargo area and not a truck bed. Combined with my soft topper I have a cargo area separate from my cab area that is protected and I can't smell the cargo and I can carry a lot of camping gear, fishing gear rafting gear etc etc. it's a gigantic trunk. Combined with a manageable wheel base you have a gear carrying off road vehicle.

now if I thought I needed the extra half foot of bed plus a crew cab, I would just buy a full size truck over a DCLB. It will have bigger interior and more comfortable, 6' bed and an nice width. Basically if you max out the short bed all the time you should look into a full size anyway. But I bet out of every 10 trucks I see in a day, maybe 4 of them ever really use the bed and I think that's high estimate.

In the end.. I know what I bought this last time around and never once had I wished for the 6' bed again. I bought the DCSB To be a trail capable vehicle and max interior space with a cargo trunk.not a truck with the purpose of doing " truck" work. Both are great trucks in the end. Both can be wheeled it's more of a personal preference. Ideally, the access cab with a 6' bed is the best all around option as it's identical length as a DCSB. WITH THE LONGER BED :)

Last edited:

keezer37

Explorer
My reasons for buying a DCSB back in '05 was I had read the DCLB had a turning circle that may require backing when trying to make a u-turn at traffic signals, which are numerous in San Diego, where I lived at the time. At the time, the DCLB was described as being 12" longer than the DCSB and the wheelbase was 13" longer. Perhaps this has changed since '05.

If you need to use your truck as a truck, the shortbed sucks. If you need a doublecab, well, that is one long truck to maneuver. For me, the next will be a ACLB if there is a next time.

Drive and maneuver (park spaces) a DCLB and make sure you are willing to deal with it as a daily driver if that will be it's function most of the time.

bat

Explorer
I have never had a problem driving my DCLB because of turning radius on any trail or parking lot. My last vehicle was 23ft long you learn drive it and as time goes by the length is something that goes away. I had no choice on my Tacoma my dog was to big for the access cab and my wife needed a full 6 ft to sleep in or forget camping.

I would just buy a full size truck over a DCLB
I think this is a great option if I knew the MPG my Tacoma was getting I would go full size.

Adventurous

Explorer
I have never had a problem driving my DCLB because of turning radius on any trail or parking lot. My last vehicle was 23ft long you learn drive it and as time goes by the length is something that goes away. I had no choice on my Tacoma my dog was to big for the access cab and my wife needed a full 6 ft to sleep in or forget camping.

I think this is a great option if I knew the MPG my Tacoma was getting I would go full size.

That played a large role in my decision as well. If I was using a roof top tent the short bed would have been adequate, but because we like to sleep in the bed the 6 foot was the more practical choice.

Wasatch

Observer
You can't put skis in a short bed. Also, loading wood or building materials will be a pain (and potentially unsafe due to lack of bed length).

So if you're a SB owner, and you actually use it as a truck, you'll need a roof rack of sorts to carry longer objects.

Most of us Tacoma owners are not home builders, or pull goose-neck trailers. But the 6ft bed is a necessity in my opinion as a truck owner. If you don't "need" a 6 ft bed, I'd look into a 4Runner or LC.

The only reason I don't own a DC is because the LB only comes in an automatic. Therefore, I have an AC 6spd.

I am actually surprised at how many SB's I see everyday. They are everywhere!

tyv12

Adventurer
It crappy that lb vs sb discussion is also manual vs auto discussion, lb crew with a 6 spd manual would have swayed me to buy a taco over my tundra way back, 5ft shallow bed is so small, the shallowness is what I didn't like

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DVexile

Adventurer
But the 6ft bed is a necessity in my opinion as a truck owner. If you don't "need" a 6 ft bed, I'd look into a 4Runner or LC.

Those have way less usable space than even a 5 ft bed with a shell and bring a heavier chassis along as well. Plus if you are doing a Flip Pac or certain pop-ups the 6 ft bed doesn't actually offer much advantage in space (you can drop the tailgate with many pop-ups). But yes, if you are using the truck to haul random stuff around as opposed to a purpose built expedition vehicle then the 5 ft bed can be restrictive. And as already pointed, for most people sleeping directly in the bed requires a 6 ft.

I am actually surprised at how many SB's I see everyday. They are everywhere!

I think the DCSB is like the most sold configuration by a wide margin according to Toyota. We of course know many truck owners are "aspirational" in the sense they don't use their truck as a truck, nor do they use their tires and lift off road either! Most consumers are like this and expect to "make a statement" with their vehicle rather than pay close attention to function. The Accord Hybrid was a failure compared to the Prius precisely because it didn't look like a hybrid. People who drive hybrids mostly want people to know they are driving a hybrid and so they want a design that advertises the fact (as one wag put it, you get the best mileage from a Prius at dinner parties). The DCSB advertises "I drive a truck, not a soccer mom SUV" while still giving enough interior room for a small family. So Dad still gets to think of himself as a manly-man. The Colorado/Canyon advertisements clearly directly market to that and Tacoma has been riding it for years I think.

vicali

Adventurer
We daily drive our DCLB including downtown driving and underground parkades.. maneuverability has never been an issue. I've 3pt-turned it many times on forestry roads and trails, never came across a spot where a SB would make a difference.

Now, when we hitch up the trailer I appreciate the added wheelbase.

p nut

butter
You can't put skis in a short bed.

Not sure how long your skis are, but my 189's fit fine diagonally in my old 5' bed (on a 1st gen Tacoma).

Bed length debate has been numerous and inconclusive over the years. There is no right answer--what works for one person doesn't translate over to another. Use your best judgment and go with it.

For me, DCLB would be preferable, as I would prefer to carry my bikes with the tail gate closed (could do it with the bikes diagonally placed in the 5' bed, but now I have multiple bikes for the family). Tight trail concerns, breakover angle, blah blah doesn't matter for me. I can't see myself on a trail where an extra foot would mean not getting through.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger