Long bed vs short bed tacoma

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Bed length discussion re which is best is relatively pointless. People with the 6 footers tell guys with the 5 footers that its not as useful as the longer bed. Not as useful by whose definition? I could tell the 6 ft guys their bed is practically useless in comparison to the 8 ft bed on my super duty, and by the criteria of some be completely right. I could make the arguement that the Tacoma line of trucks as a whole dont measure up because I can put 4,000 lbs in the bed of my super duty before it even kisses the overload spring, and have another 1,000 lbs + to go before I hit my technical limit. Would I be right? It depends on who you decide to listen to.

The question is does the bed size you chose do everything you want/need it to do? If the answer is yes then its the best bed size...for you.

Radio

Observer
Well, tgreening nailed it. Its down to what you find useful.
Personally, I had a short bed Tundra and now I have a long bed Tundra. I find the long box more useful when I am using it (if you know what I mean), however, a pain to get access to all of it...
But you can sure cram piles of garbage into your vehicle when you need too... no matter what you drive. Creative packing!!

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Interesting thread. Always wondered which version I'd be more happy with. My #1 thing is ease of parking I can make the other stuff work but figuring out how to fit a long bed into a short parallel parking spot isn't happening without pushing some cars out of the way first or perhaps that lift and just climb over them? Also interesting thoughts in the new Tacoma thread regarding pay load numbers the long bed option may have more room but in the end you only have about 1400lbs of weight capacity to work with also.

surlydiesel

Adventurer
My logic is this. If you're going to "downsize", you best get the shortbed for the shorter truck/easier to maneuver. If you like having a long bed, just keep the Tundra and deal with the slight width difference. You gain nothing going to a long bed double cab Tacoma. You just loose legroom and arm room in the cab.

My 2cents.

-jorge

Climberclimb

Observer
Long bed vs short bed

Hi all, I think this is my first post! Lots of great information and stories on this site - so much so that I based my recent purchase on it. My new ride is a 2015 Tacoma dclb. I went with the long box for many reasons; skiis in straight, mountainbikes in straight, good fire wood loads, and in a pinch I can sleep in the box. My last truck (easy now!) was a Honda Ridgeline with a 5' box. It drove me nuts - just too short! :) Just my opinion! Cheers

p nut

butter
My logic is this. If you're going to "downsize", you best get the shortbed for the shorter truck/easier to maneuver. If you like having a long bed, just keep the Tundra and deal with the slight width difference. You gain nothing going to a long bed double cab Tacoma. You just loose legroom and arm room in the cab.

My 2cents.

-jorge

Eh, I don't know... Going from a Tundra to DCLB is a huge step down compared to LB to SB, in my opinion. I'm literally surrounded by Tundra trucks (neighbors, relatives, etc.). They feel ginormous compared to a Tacoma.

BUT, for the things I do, it would do just fine. They're actually pretty capable off-road. If it weren't for the dismal MPG, I'd consider getting one. That extra room in the Crew Max feels AMAZING, though. I had friends over 6' sit in the back with loads of room. That truck is a road tripping machine.

racerjb

Observer
Thanks for all the feed back. Some good stuff. In the ideal world I would have both a tundra and a DCSB but that ain't going to happen. Bottom line is I just need to get test drive them thoroughly and make my own decision.

surlydiesel

Adventurer
Just to add more fuel to the fire. You're going to miss the V8, even if you have the little one ha ha ha If the Tundra came in a manual, I'd have one in the driveway right now.

-jorge

SigSense

Adventurer
As others have opined, it all depends on how you are going to use the Taco. In the last five years I've owned a Double Cab Taco Short Bed, then a 5th Gen 4Runner, and now drive a TRD Sport Double Cab Long Bed. My biggest reason for transitioning to a Long Bed was my job: Flipping houses. I'd be making runs to construction sites, home-improvement stores, and properties daily. I needed the long bed to carry all the crap I was moving around: Tools, Paint, Lumber, Drywall, Fixtures, Plumbing Supplies, Electrical etc.

I have also used that 6' bed to sleep in on many outdoor excursions. I could never sleep comfortably in the back of the Taco Short Bed or with the rear seat down in the 4Runner. I have a ARE CX shell on the new long bed and there's plenty of room for anything that I plan on accomplishing.

bat

Explorer
Yeah, I was wondering that too. How does a lift improve turning radius?
This is simple bigger lift usually means bigger tires which means slower tire rotation which means better turning radius :coffeedrink:

jungblud

Observer
Exactly. Going to a wheel with a smaller backspace will have this effect. That moves typically larger tires outboard and will improve your turning radius.

Sorry but when I say lift I don't mean raise it 2.5" with the stock wheels and tires.

Please do not raise a DCLB without upgrading the shoes! It just looks silly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179