Lowrance HDS-5 Available?

greg mgm

Explorer
Does anyone know if the new HDS 5 is available yet? It's on Lowrance's website.

I'd love to upgrade my old Lowrance GPS and the HDS 5 looks interesting.
If someone here has one, could you post your opinion......pleeze?? :)

Geronimo

Observer
ORW has a good price as well. I understand the 3D is not available on the 5 but is on the larger 8. Reports are good on these, maybe some good deals on 7200's as people upgrade.

greg mgm

Explorer
I'm SO glad I posted the question. I didn't realize it was available in the larger units...:drool:

I'd love to buy the 7". Maybe in a couple months.

Thanks for the replies!

greg mgm

Explorer
Hmmmm. I don't know who's fibbing here.

PCI Radio website shows hds 5, hds 7, hds 8, hds 10 in the baja version, but the screens look like the marine versions. I assume making them a "baja" gps means adding software, right?

I asked Lowrance a few days ago if the hds baja will be available in larger sizes and here's their response-

Thank you for your inquiry.

At this time, there have been no announcements that the Baja will be available with a larger screen in the near future. As these new units have just been released, there will probably not be another release lineup unitl 2010

TEJASYOTA

Adventurer
.....Thank you for your inquiry.

At this time, there have been no announcements that the Baja will be available with a larger screen in the near future. As these new units have just been released, there will probably not be another release lineup unitl 2010

Well that kinda is a non-answer...that sucks.
I would love a large version Baja in HDS.

Geronimo

Observer
This is an Email i got from Off Road Warehouse.

So we got all the new HDS Lowrance models in stock.

I was a little disappointed that the new HDS5m Baja does not have the cool 3-D looking screen (shaded relief) that the 7,8, and 10 have. On the up side, they do load the pages MUCH faster than the older models, and the menu screens are more user friendly by far.

http://www.lowrance.com/en/Products/Automotive/HDS-5-Baja/

We had a training session with the Lowrance rep, although it was very basic and he didn't even know the answers to some of our questions, but he did get back to me on a couple. See below:

Wally,

It was nice meeting you last week at the Lowrance training. You had asked two questions that I needed to investigate answers on, so I wanted to follow up with you. Here are the questions:

Q: Why didn’t the shaded relief (3D) charts appear on the HDS-5 Baja unit?

A: The HDS-5 Baja units include only base charts, which does not include the shaded relief coverage. The HDS-7, 8 and 10 inch units all include the shaded relief charts.

Geronimo

Observer

PCI Radio website shows hds 5, hds 7, hds 8, hds 10 in the baja version, but the screens look like the marine versions. I assume making them a "baja" gps means adding software, right?

I asked Lowrance a few days ago if the hds baja will be available in larger sizes and here's their response-

It is my understanding that the "Baja" designation means that that they are more dust proof and some components are secured better. I have also been told by a Lowrance unit these lessons have been built into all the units making it a marketing term. Take that for what is is worth

milo12

Adventurer
Looking at the Lowrance site I think the maps on the Baja are still the Freedom 7 maps. The others are all marine units.

Geronimo

Observer
Just thought I would add that an external antenna is not included with these units. Add a extra $250 to the cost. That used 7200 is sounding better all the time.

greg mgm

Explorer
Whoops! Didn't realize that. $250 on top of the unit price? I think I'll wait a while. I don't need one that bad!

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Can we use the old Baja 540c antenna? Should still be the same right?

I just saw the 7" in person yesterday at the Solder Joint in Orange, which is now owned by PCI. So it's legit. I think it's what you say.... the software you load into it.

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
I got to play with this unit yesterday and wow it's nice. Much nicer than our Baja540C. The background map almost looks like google earth. It's crazy. The screen is bright and very crisp. I like the new unit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears