LR3 owners sound off, which tires?

jerdog53

Explorer
What's wrong with a good a/t tire? In a 31" tire the difference between at or mt likely won't be a limiting factor on a vehicle like the lr3.

I've had problems in the smallest amount of mud with AT tires and am very reluctant to go back. Those were the days in Jeep CJs so things may be different in the Landy.

Eniam17

Adventurer
Hear you. I thought the same thing. I'm not arguing at all, I was just blown away with how great the traction control is on the 3 that it seemed to make up for less impressive traction from non m/t tires. As opposed to older vehicles with no lockers or traction control where you have to get on the gas and hope for better traction in more situations.

jerdog53

Explorer
Well there is that, my thinking may be dated.

I know a guy that has 275/65R18 Toyo Open Country AT2 on his 07 LR3, he runs the Johnson rods and no wheel spacers and clams they don't rub.

Maybe I'll just do that.

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
Honestly, I could not be happier with the BFG All Terrains on my truck. It has seen some extreme duty in Colorado Mud and Tennessee/North Carolina mud and I have no complaints.
I run: 265/65 R18

I like the proportion:

Mack73

Adventurer
Well there is that, my thinking may be dated.

I know a guy that has 275/65R18 Toyo Open Country AT2 on his 07 LR3, he runs the Johnson rods and no wheel spacers and clams they don't rub.

Maybe I'll just do that.

Sure they won't rub when driving down the street, but start flexing the suspension offroad and they will. All 32" require trimming(on '08-'09 some cutting of steel) and work at the rear wheels for the body seam bump.

I agree with the BFG AT's - best non 32" tire out there for the 18". Loved them when I ran them

zelatore

Explorer
My 32s required only very minimal trimming (275/65/18 Duratrac, '07 LR3 HSE). To be honest, I think I could have run them with no trimming and lived with the minor rubbing but it was annoying. Had I gone with the more common 265 instead of the 275s, it would have been even easier to leave everything alone.
No doubt there is a lot of love for the venerable BFGs. I haven't personally run them since my father had them on his 2wd farm/wood truck probably 20 years ago. I don't know what/if anything has changed with them since back then, and that was a world away from something like a modern Rover.

Had my truck out in some serious mud yesterday, playing in a mud bowl at Hollister Hills. 6 to 18" of slop. I was shocked how good the Duratracs and the LR3's computers worked - never once even thought about getting stuck and could pretty much stop/start at will. Even pulled another guy out after a transmission issue.

roverandom

Adventurer
Duratrac's are an awesome tyre. I run them on a 3/4 Dodge Diesel and my RRC.
On the LR3 I have TOYO open country AT in the 265/60r18 flavour on aftermarket Touren wheels. Best tyre I have used to date on the 3.
e3y4yguz.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drcoopster

Adventurer
I've been running Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor tires, size 265/60R-18. Slightly oversize, but seems to fit just fine over the last 15k miles.

Note that these are P tires and aren't going to handle the heavy loads as well as an LT tire. But they suit my needs well.

spikemd

Explorer
I just bought a used 2006 LR3 SE with 83k miles yesterday that is running GY MTRs 275/65 r18s with little lift. I haven't played with the suspension settings enough to see if they rub. My issue is that the previous owner told me the MTRs were run backwards for awhile (white lettering to the inside) and then swapped around to the correct orientation. Now they are cupped and vibrate a bit causing the steering to shimmy. Its a shame because they are bloody expensive tires and have at least 50% tread left. But you can easily see the wear pattern on the lugs.

I am looking to purchase new tires soon and am leaning toward Duratracks or Michelin AT2s (got 80k miles on a set on the 4Runner but 95% onroad) or another tire. The E load rated BFG AT KOs aren't snow rated so they are out for me. The Duratracks are definitely more aggressive but the AT2s wore well and were excellent in the wet. I ran the Revo2s on my P38 for about 20k miles but blew out one sidewall and got two other sidewall punctures in those tires so they are out for me. Wish they had some KM2s in my size.

Pic of it next to my p38 that has 33inch KM2s.

lr3_p38.jpg

Last edited:

Colin Hughes

Explorer
So I found a set of 18" 10 spokes on the week-end. I'm down to three choices: 265-60 R18 Cooper Discoverer AT3 or Michelin LTX A-T2 or 285-60 R18 Cooper Zeons. I had the Disco AT3's on my D1 and they seemed to tackle everything including snow and ice this past winter with no sliding. They are also the cheapest at $211 CDN. The Zeons look good but I think the Disco AT3's are the better choice. I won't be adding a lift in the near future so there should be no worries about rubbing either.

Jwestpro

Explorer
mmmm, snow..... putting a set together tomorrow using the Michelin LTX winter 275/65x18. I'll post photos. This will be my 2nd full set (I have full sets so just swap the whole wheel and tire for winter to summer). My "summer" set is BFG AT KO 265/65x18.

I could actually use the 32.5" 285/65x18 now with my physical mods completed but on our 8" wide wheels I think it's better to keep the tire shape more square and not push the limits on width.

The 275/70x18 GY Duratrac would be so sweet at 33" but that would start to cause trouble in articulation situations even though it would work now on highway and gravel road driving.

It's always something isn't it?! My Discovery II can run whatever you want and so could a G wagon. I do get annoyed with our upper control arms and tight wheel wells.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior