LR3 owners sound off, which tires?

spikemd

Explorer
Nice shooes Jerdog. What sliders did you get? I need some with kickouts for my vertically challenged wife. Can they be used as steps to get into the vehicle?

jerdog53

Explorer
Nice shooes Jerdog. What sliders did you get? I need some with kickouts for my vertically challenged wife. Can they be used as steps to get into the vehicle?

Thanks Spike!

These are the Sierra Designs rock sliders with kick outs and yes they can be used as a step for the vertically challenged!! :smiley_drive:

A.J.M

Explorer
Im at 27K miles and duratracs on the LR3 still look good. Maybe 25% remaining tread. Shorter life could be alignment related -- I always get a alignment with $1600 worth new tires.

See, that's the thing.
I got a 4 wheel alignment when i changed the front lower wishbones. I got a 2nd later in the year. I got a 3rd when i changed the rest of the wishbones so it's always had an alignment done every time it's had work done.
They are still wearing terribly.

Ah well. Shall change them in the summer for another set. I really like the Duratrac and hopefully the next set will last longer.

morrisdl

Adventurer
Maybe not all Duratracs are created equal. Long time ago when consumer reports was asked if tires sold a discount outlets (like sams club) are inferior they sort of confirmed it to be true:

"....Tire manufacturers make all the tires that go to the car manufacturers and to after-market on the same machines. However, they then quality check 100% of the produced tires, as the manufacture of tires can be hit and miss. The best quality tires usually go to the OE manufacturers, the next grade usually to the tire stores and the 3rd grade usually go to the discount stores."

David Harris

Expedition Leader
See, that's the thing.
I got a 4 wheel alignment when i changed the front lower wishbones. I got a 2nd later in the year. I got a 3rd when i changed the rest of the wishbones so it's always had an alignment done every time it's had work done.
They are still wearing terribly.

Ah well. Shall change them in the summer for another set. I really like the Duratrac and hopefully the next set will last longer.

A vehicle as heavy as the LR3 is just going to eat tires quicker no matter what.

swkingston

High Desert Prepper
I went to goodyear.com and entered the size manually. It spits out that it is available. I called Discount Tire as it listed them as a nearby reseller. Nothing listed on the website and or their sister site Discount Tire Direct. The rep I got had nothing in his system. I mentioned finding it on the Goodyear website as available. He wanted to call me back. Within about 10 minutes he did. Said that initially the system has it listed as being on National Backorder (similar to the 255/55R19's), however he said he was able to obtain them and they will be to me on the 8th. We'll see.

I'd say give them a call.

Here are the specs:
Size:265/65R18
Product Code: 150644601
Speed Rating: S
Load Index: 114
Load Range: SL
Sidewall: BSL
UTQG: 500/B/B
Max Load(lbs): 2,601
Max Inflation: 51
Approve Rim Width: 7.5 - 9.5
Rim Size: 8.00
Section Width: 10.7
Tread Depth: 16
Diameter: 31.5
Revs/Mile: 663
Retail Price: $259

tmpolice

Falken wildpeak

I found a really good tire that I must recomend.
It got good reviews in the USA and are a pretty cheap tire.

Falken A/T tire wildpeak are sizes in 17" and 18".

low_49

Whats this button do...
I'll second the Falken Wildpeaks. Great tire on and off road with decent mud performance as well for an AT tire.

spikemd

Explorer
I am back in the hunt for tires. The GY MTRs 275/65 r18s on the truck now are cupped and getting worse. They need to be changed. I am also looking at going smaller than a 32 and lower the truck from its elevated stature right now.

Michelin AT2s came out in a 265/65r18 size. I got over 80k miles from my last set of AT2s on the 4Runner but it weighs 1.5k lbs less. They didn't see much offroad though.

I am considering the Duratracs, but it sounds like they wear just too quickly. Wish I could get the KM2s in a decent 18 inch size.

The Cooper Zeons are promising but my buddy ran those and had a few punctured tires.

Decisions...decisions...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998