LR3 suspension coil conversion switch cover.

Ray_G

Explorer
I think the premium 2" is holding up fine on my front end w/a bumper, winch, dual battery, OBA, & battery charger all up there. The back is where I see a little sag at full load out. Nothing pronounced, in my opinion, but the ability to load up a little more would be nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ray_G

Explorer
For the sake of returning to this, a little digging, some info from Eric at AB, and deduction leads to the following:

OME has both MD and HD coils for the Discovery 3 application. It would seem AB's premium +2 coil conversion uses the MD springs (OME 2744 (F) & OME 2746 (R)), whereas the heavy load kit has the HD coils (OME 2745 (F) and OME 2746 (R)). The substantive difference being spring rates, with the HD fronts being '+100kg' and the rear being '+constant 200kg.'

The springs are avail for order independent, but Eric noted that would require a call to AB. (If you look around online and use the OME p/n you could always order them seperate too-the value of AB is the black box and such, which is not to be understated).

My supposition is the rear springs are linear vice progressive given the 'constant' annotation in the increased spring rate....

At that point I quit because I was satisfied that if/when I put the aux fuel tank in the back I could order HD rear springs to offset that weight.
r-
Ray

Ellis B

I just installed the A.B. Heavy duty Air to coil Conversion kit, as well as new front lower control arms, on my 2006 LR3 over the week end, everything worked fine!!!! No more suspension fault. Ride is nice and firm,I found the air bag suspension a little soft for my liking to start with. The truck sits 2 to 2 1/2 inches higher and feels very stable when driving. Alignment is scheduled for tomorrow morning, the biggest pain in the but is the top inside nut on the rear struts :mad:, you will curse the engineers after a few minutes.

I just installed the A.B. Heavy duty Air to coil Conversion kit, as well as new front lower control arms, on my 2006 LR3 over the week end, everything worked fine!!!! No more suspension fault. Ride is nice and firm,I found the air bag suspension a little soft for my liking to start with. The truck sits 2 to 2 1/2 inches higher and feels very stable when driving. Alignment is scheduled for tomorrow morning, the biggest pain in the but is the top inside nut on the rear struts :mad:, you will curse the engineers after a few minutes.

I'd really like to see some off-road comparison from those who have lots of trail time with EAS and now with coils. I hear firm ride and sometimes that scares the hell out of me because it shows up ten-fold on the trail.

The normal EAS road setting is a fantastic, smooth ride and the off-road height firms things up for the trail.

Can you or anyone offer any comparison as to ride quality, articulation, etc.... compared to EAS?

Colin Hughes

Explorer
So the HD kit rides good without any extra load in the rear? That's good to know too.

Ellis B

So the HD kit rides good without any extra load in the rear? That's good to know too.

In my opinion, Yes. It rides fine empty. Again I like a bit firmer ride.

Can you or anyone offer any comparison as to ride quality, articulation, etc.... compared to EAS? At this time I can not give you any input about off road experience since I just installed the kit. But Ray has posted some comparisons on his thread

Ray_G

Explorer
I'd really like to see some off-road comparison from those who have lots of trail time with EAS and now with coils. I hear firm ride and sometimes that scares the hell out of me because it shows up ten-fold on the trail.

The normal EAS road setting is a fantastic, smooth ride and the off-road height firms things up for the trail.

Can you or anyone offer any comparison as to ride quality, articulation, etc.... compared to EAS?

I did my best to address much of what you describe. Lemme know if there is something specific you are looking for: http://forum.expeditionportal.com/t...wist?p=2177891&highlight=coil+eas#post2177891

Bottom line is with regard to articulation, you lose some down travel in the rear. Some have argued the loss of cross linking is significant but I think that is very situationally depending. I don't believe there is actually that much difference in ride quality, with some expressing the belief that coils give a better ride than an older EAS.

Mind you I wouldn't self describe as having 'lots' of trail time with my 3...at least not as compared to my D1. That said, my partner in crime with the red LR3 who used his for all of VOT and participated in the comparison will be switching to coils at some point based off the merits compared to the detractions.
r-
R

Last edited:

soflorovers

"Stiff" is a completely relative term. Is a 2+ HD spring kit going to ride stiffer than an unmolested EAS truck without height sensor adjustments? I'd venture to say yes. However, my LR3 with a 2.5 Proud Rhino rod-lift rode A LOT stiffer than when the vehicle was stock. The larger tires helped smooth out the larger potholes, but the smaller bumps were definitely more noticeable when the air springs were under the extra pressure with the lift. I'm sure a 2+ coil truck with medium duty stuff rides just fine. The HD springs....well, I can't say.

KMET

Adventurer
"Stiff" is a completely relative term. Is a 2+ HD spring kit going to ride stiffer than an unmolested EAS truck without height sensor adjustments? I'd venture to say yes. However, my LR3 with a 2.5 Proud Rhino rod-lift rode A LOT stiffer than when the vehicle was stock. The larger tires helped smooth out the larger potholes, but the smaller bumps were definitely more noticeable when the air springs were under the extra pressure with the lift. I'm sure a 2+ coil truck with medium duty stuff rides just fine. The HD springs....well, I can't say.

Parking lots with speed bumps are more noticeable stiffer, speeds above 75-85 (Traveling between LA & Vegas) feels improved. Twisty mountain roads- After adding poly bushings it's become bit of a sport, lot less body roll and firm steering.

Ray_G

Explorer
So disco3.uk facilitated interaction with an Aussie brother of ours who shipped me this:
fbda94f4317a10f9052102af98bf85d8.jpg

Anyone have the capability to replicate this w/a 3D printer?
R-
Ray

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears

Members online