Lumpskie's 1989 Grand Wagoneer Build

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
Actually...a 50/50 mixture of Acetone and Automatice Transmission Fluid ATF has shown to be more effective than PB Blaster....

If I have time to get some acetone, I can do an experiment. Hit the front with the mixture and his the rear with PB blaster. At any rate, I'm going to start today with the preemptive treatment.

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
If I have time to get some acetone, I can do an experiment. Hit the front with the mixture and his the rear with PB blaster. At any rate, I'm going to start today with the preemptive treatment.

Here is an interesting finding on Penetrating Oils
Recently “Machinist Workshop Magazine” did a test on penetrating oils. Using nuts and
bolts that they ‘scientifically rusted' to a uniform degree by soaking in salt water, they then
tested the break-out torque required to loosen the nuts. They treated the nuts with a variety
of penetrants and measured the torque required to loosen them.
This is what they came up with:
Nothing: 516 lbs
WD-40: 238 lbs;
PB Blaster: 214 lbs;
Liquid Wrench: 127 lbs,
Kano Kroil: 106 lbs
(ATF)/Acetone mix (50/50): 50 lbs.

http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/homemade-penetrating-oil-159

Mitch502

Explorer
Here is an interesting finding on Penetrating Oils
Recently “Machinist Workshop Magazine” did a test on penetrating oils. Using nuts and
bolts that they ‘scientifically rusted' to a uniform degree by soaking in salt water, they then
tested the break-out torque required to loosen the nuts. They treated the nuts with a variety
of penetrants and measured the torque required to loosen them.
This is what they came up with:
Nothing: 516 lbs
WD-40: 238 lbs;
PB Blaster: 214 lbs;
Liquid Wrench: 127 lbs,
Kano Kroil: 106 lbs
(ATF)/Acetone mix (50/50): 50 lbs.

http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/homemade-penetrating-oil-159

I'm going to buy some acetone/ATF and try this when we do a buddy's lift on his cherokee. Thanks for the info!

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
Well, I've been hitting almost all the suspension bolts with PB blaster. (sorry SSF556, I was too lazy to buy the acetone and ATF) Only one bolt isn't accessible... I have to drop the gas tank to get to it. So, tonight I'm going to do that.

As for parts.

2 shocks have arrived
2 shocks should arrive today or tomorrow
4 springs are being hand delivered by Bill (Owner of Alcan Spring) on Friday.

So, I'm going to dig into this project Friday evening and most of Saturday. Hopefully, the 26 year old suspension won't give me too much trouble after almost a week of soaking in penetrating oil... hopefully...

Mitch502

Explorer
"Hopefully" Lol.

My buddy ahs been doing the same on his XJ for this weekend when his IRO LA Lift ("hopefully") comes in.

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
^Haha, Jeeps and "hopefully" go together! It looks like things might work out, though. I dropped the gas tank yesterday to hit the last bolt with penetrating oil. After a quick soak, I tried to loosen it. It moved nice and smooth! So, I reinstalled the tank. My hope is that, after a long soak, all the bolts will be that smooth!

So today, I'm throwing these on:

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
Swapped out the rear shocks last night. The old ones were totally shot.

Old vs New (new one is tied at 15.5" for installation... full extension is 24.3")

Shocks installed:

Now, it looks like I'm very spring limited on extension. Here's a picture of my shackle angle at full extension: (Only 20" on the shock)

I can't wait to see what the new Alcans do for travel... they arrive late tomorrow!

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
Installed new front shocks on the Waggy today. The job went really easily... I hope the springs follow suit.

First, pulled the wheel off and had a look

Then I pulled the shock off. You can see that my new shocks are longer in anticipation of the lift

I had to steal this metal sleeve from the old shock

I pressed it out using a ball joint press, my impact extension and my bench vise

Put the sleeve into the new shock by hand and threw it on!

Springs should arrive tomorrow...

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
Thanks you guys. Well, I was hoping to post up today with my post lift information... that's not going to happen.

So, mission Spring Install is a total failure. I argued with Alcan yesterday but, long story short, the springs are too short. Alcan made a stock length spring, then arched it higher for 2" of lift. This made the eye to eye measurement too short. I will call them tomorrow and tell them that they can either make me new springs, to my spec, or they can take these back and refund my money.

goodcat8

Observer
I love these older wagoneer's. Hope you get the spring sorted out, looking forward to seeing her sit higher.

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
Thanks you guys. I'm going to call Bill, at Alcan, today. Hopefully we can get this all sorted out.

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
I test fit the front springs today. They fit fine and I could get everything to line up.
If the rear springs fit like this, I would just run them:

So i called Bill and told him my issue. He said he'd build me a new main leaf to my specs. I'll pick them up in Grand Junction on Thursday. I'll let you guys know how everything turns out when i install them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan