Lumpskie's 1989 Grand Wagoneer Build

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
Thanks guys... the anticipation is killing me too! (even though the lift is going to be so mild) So, as you already know that I stopped by Alcan to have my springs resized. While I was there, I got a quick tour from Bill, the owner. Here are some pictures that I took while I was there. It's a neat operation and I'm really happy to support a business that bases 100% of it's manufacturing in the USA.

(I'm going to work on installing the springs after work during the week. Hopefully, I'll have some good post-lift pics for you guys soon!)

Pictures:

When I arrived, my new main leafs were waiting for me:

Bill showing me a press that his son modified for him:

Reworking my leafs:

Cut leafs ready to go in the oven:

The Oven:

Leaf templates hung up, with correct curvature for various heights:

Some machinery pictures... lots of it is 1930s vintage

Bill showing me the riveter:

U Bolt Stock

Nutnut is not sure about this place:

Loading up the new leafs:

Last edited:

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
^Thanks mtbxj87. Alcan is a great company to work with and Bill makes sure that everything is "right" by the time the deal is done. Plus... their springs really flex!

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
Thanks Mitch, Alcan has been great to work with.

I got two more springs installed last night... everything fit perfectly. I MIGHT be able to use the stock track bar without making a 2" bracket for it too!

Here's the front spring installed, showing shackle angle at full droop. It's juuust long enough to keep the shackle from flipping.

Passenger side with Front and Rear springs installed... this is pretty close to the new ride height. Hopefully, I'll have time today or tomorrow to get the final spring installed.

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
Here it is, all finished!

Here it is compared to the lifted Taco on 33s:

The nose is a little high, but I'm hoping it will settle when it gets driven. Also, I have an alignment scheduled for Thursday... right now the steering wheel is 1/4 turn off. Other than that, I found a place to get some flex out of it. It's no where near flexed out here:

I'm excited to drive it (and not wrench on it) for a while!

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
Thanks Mitch! I can't wait to get back out to the loading docks and get some new measurements. I bet I gained a few inches... After that, it's time to do some exploring!

Here are the before and after pics together for comparison:

Before:

After (I'm going to try to get one that's exactly like the before pic for a better representation)

Last edited:

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
I had to replace the tie rod end that connects to the pitman arm to get the Waggy aligned. Overall the process was pretty painless.

Parts and tools ready:

Here's the offending tie rod end:

First, I tried my ball joint press on it:

That didn't go too well:

Pickle Fork got the job done:

Sleeve is "adjusted" to the point that I can't get it unscrewed:

So, I just bought a new sleeve and used the stock clamps around it:

And the bolts that came with the sleeve kit ended up making the perfect fix for my broken press! We'll see how long it lasts...

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
So, the Waggy was running a little rough and power was down. After some searching my buddy and I found this:

I turns out I was only running on 6 and a half cylinders! So, I replaced the plug wires, cap and rotor with parts from NAPA. Now, it runs good as new!

Also, here's an updated picture of the suspension, after it settled. I think it looks pretty good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan