M101a2 Overland Trailer Build

TTS

Good prices here dynation.com/Linear-Actuators/Windy-Nation/Linear-Actuators-various-stroke-lengths/-/244?p=YzE9Mjg=

Thats where I bought mine, 225 lbs capacity each.

I was looking at those in eBay. Think I can get away with 2 center mounted?

Martyinco

Adventurer
I was looking at those in eBay. Think I can get away with 2 center mounted?

I saw one person get away with two, only reason I went with 4 one on each corner is to eliminate any possibility of binding, which is something I could see happening with just two in the center.

TTS

I saw one person get away with two, only reason I went with 4 one on each corner is to eliminate any possibility of binding, which is something I could see happening with just two in the center.

What stroke length did you go with?

TTS

Updates have been sparse lately as I have been busy working and not posting. We had a Memorial Day camping trip coming up and I really wanted to have the trailer ready to take and have it be useful as something more than a cargo hauler.

The first thing I knew I needed was power because I wanted to add a water tank and pump. I needed somewhere to put it so I began looking for a large tongue box that could hold a 10 gallon water tank batteries and power controls. I came up with this for $100 off a Facebook Marketplace ad:

After trying to install it I realized the I would have to relocate the hand brakes and that the tongue weight would quickly get out of hand. So I scrapped that idea and added a Harbor Freight 3 cu ft tongue box. I bolted it directly to the frame but went through 2 taps trying to thread the holes. :-( At the same time I added an adjustable wheeled jack.

Next was adding a trailer hitch to carry bikes. After bolting it to the rear cross frame member, I quickly realized that it was not stiff enough to hold the bike carrier without developing stress cracks. I re-enforced the back "bumper" by partially boxing it and welding the hitch to it.

Next, I was on to wiring the tongue box for power. I used a cheap deep cycle battery from the local Fleet Farm with a 175 minute RC, I don't know what that equates to in AH.

I also added a fuse block, main battery shut-off and waterproof switch for the water pump.

For water, I added a 20-gallon water tank from Amazon with a Seaflo 1.2GPM pump and Camco water filter.

I temporarily mounted this all to a board in the trailer until I can weld up a mounting system for under the trailer.

Lastly, I added some steel cable and clips to hold the tailgate level for use as a workspace. A 20lb propane tank is held in place with a ratchet strap until I get a proper mount.

75ECEF74-3A61-4E36-8312-62618CDBF0A6_zpsedm5cvug.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

TTS

Resurrecting this for some recent updates to the trailer.

I added a rack with Compact Camping Concepts no weld rack and some square steel tube. The sides of the trailer needed some reinforcement from flex and I did this with steel U-channel behind the lip.

The tent is TuffStuff's Elite Overland 5 person. With 2 kids 11 and 14 years old we needed the space.

Now I just need to permanently mount the water tank and pump then build a drawer system with pullout kitchen.

Attachments

• IMG_3292.JPG
    IMG_3292.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 14

Last1Left

Resurrecting this for some recent updates to the trailer.

I added a rack with Compact Camping Concepts no weld rack and some square steel tube. The sides of the trailer needed some reinforcement from flex and I did this with steel U-channel behind the lip.

The tent is TuffStuff's Elite Overland 5 person. With 2 kids 11 and 14 years old we needed the space.

Now I just need to permanently mount the water tank and pump then build a drawer system with pullout kitchen.

View attachment 507812

View attachment 507815

View attachment 507816

View attachment 507818
Looks great building my out currently

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger