M716 into a Camp Trailer

shermantank55

After all the inspiration found here and on ih8mud, we have decided to take our little M716 trailer and upgrade it to a full offroad, expedition worthy trailer.
Two main inspirations: Australian camp trailer designs, especially: http://www.drifta.com.au/CapeYorkTourer.php
and this trailer:http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/49690-Small-Garage-Big-Project
Having gone through a Starcraft RT and small Coleman pop-up the family was not ready to give up some luxuries for off road capability.
Goals:
1. Maintain small trailer footprint for ease of use off road
2. Incorporate "necessities" such as refrigerator, water, kitchen, shelter, electricity, shower, stove, heater
3. Maintain light weight, but capability to sleep 4 people
4. Retain cargo carrying ability

The trailer utilizes 12V electric actuators to raise/lower tent platform; has a water tank with pump for hot/cold water; onboard 12v for acutators, lighting, pump, etc;

I already posted most of the build on ih8mud, http://forum.ih8mud.com/trailer-tech/727702-m716-into-camp-trailer.html, but wanted to get some pix over here in case someone needed some more ideas.
Cheers,

Attachments

• DSCN0755.jpg
    DSCN0755.jpg
    537.5 KB · Views: 75
  • DSCN0790.jpg
    DSCN0790.jpg
    513.7 KB · Views: 69
  • DSCN0761.jpg
    DSCN0761.jpg
    573.6 KB · Views: 66
  • DSCN0760.jpg
    DSCN0760.jpg
    597.9 KB · Views: 68
  • trailer before.jpg
    trailer before.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 745
Last edited:

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
I love when someone can look at a rough trailer and see what it can be not what it is!

Excellent work!

Post more build pictures here.

TheThom

Adventurer
I agree! Terrific trailer. You should post some of those kitchen pics here. Guys here LOVE their slide out kitchens :)

shermantank55

More pics

Here are some details:
I used uni-strut for tent frame posts. Slides easily in 2" sq tube; water pump and 15 gal tank provide water for hot water heater at front and kitchen sprayer at kitchen. Jacks mount high for travel; low for camp-I cut off handles and welded 3/4" nuts for more compact storage (or for drill driver actuation). Kitchen out and stowed: Folds up and stove nests inside; i have quick disconnect LP gas at kitchen plus front of trailer for hot water and bbq; a shot of the electic actuators-rated at 200# each; last shot is the kitchen sprayer which tucks inside trailer when not in use.

Attachments

• DSCN0598.jpg
    DSCN0598.jpg
    527.3 KB · Views: 71
  • DSCN0688.jpg
    DSCN0688.jpg
    525.8 KB · Views: 60
  • DSCN0775.jpg
    DSCN0775.jpg
    515.8 KB · Views: 51
  • DSCN0777.jpg
    DSCN0777.jpg
    514.9 KB · Views: 56
  • DSCN0778.jpg
    DSCN0778.jpg
    539.3 KB · Views: 53
  • DSCN0786.jpg
    DSCN0786.jpg
    503.9 KB · Views: 49
  • DSCN0788.jpg
    DSCN0788.jpg
    518.1 KB · Views: 53
  • DSCN0785.jpg
    DSCN0785.jpg
    516.9 KB · Views: 55

jeepfreak81

Adventurer
Thank you. How many actuators are on yours? I was going to try to get away with two, one in the middle on each end.

shermantank55

Thank you. How many actuators are on yours? I was going to try to get away with two, one in the middle on each end.

I worked on the same idea for awhile, but settled on four. One issue was load capacity; I wanted more capacity than the baseline rating of 400# (200# each); the other was frame design as I would have still had four legs, but probably would have added a central leg plus the actuators in the center. So in the end I decided to put one on each corner. I am out of town, but when I return I will post some detail photos of the frame/actuators.

And maybe some video.

matthewp

Combat Truck Monkey
Wow! That's a nice trailer! You did a wonderful job of transforming it.

My question for you is about the lights under the awning? That looks like a great place for them. Are they inside the awning bag when it's zipped up (That is an ARB awning, correct?)? Would you be able to tell me where you got them and what size they are?

Thanks again for showing us a great trailer!

RagnarD

Adventurer
Nice Build. Can the actuators hold the roof static on their own or do you need to pin the supports and take the pressure off the actuators?

shermantank55

LED lights

Wow! That's a nice trailer! You did a wonderful job of transforming it.

My question for you is about the lights under the awning? That looks like a great place for them. Are they inside the awning bag when it's zipped up (That is an ARB awning, correct?)? Would you be able to tell me where you got them and what size they are?

Thanks again for showing us a great trailer!

Thanks Matthew. I used LED light bars from Super Bright LEDs. They are permanently attached inside the ARB awning with VHB tape. The wires run out a small hole drilled in the aluminum frame. They are here:http://www.superbrightleds.com/more...h-power-led-waterproof-light-bar-fixture/680/ I put in two each of the 60cm model. I will try to get detail pix when I return home- if they would help.

Cheers,
Greg

shermantank55

Nice Build. Can the actuators hold the roof static on their own or do you need to pin the supports and take the pressure off the actuators?

According to the manufacturer, the actuators by design (essentially a long screw) should be able to hold the static load (200# each). I put the pins in for safety at the highest elevation (so nobody accidentally lowers it) and to relieve shock on the actuators when off road (on the lowest elevation).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman