Mahindra 4x4 pickup

theMec

Adventurer
sighting in Italy

During vacation last week, I saw one in Lecco, Italy. I was driving so couldn't get a pic. It was a single cab and looked great with an aluminum flatbed. Is there any other kind of flatbed in Europe? I'm sure it had a manual trans like everything else over there too.

Off Duty

Adventurer
Yeah - much like the Crosslander, the Mahindra seems to be a simple vehicle that people would be interested in. Not sure if enough are interested to make it a viable competitor, but if they (GV USA) make the appropriate plans, and don't pretend like they're going to be the next Toyota, I don't see any reason why they couldn't be profitable. Assuming they can clear the government hurdles of course.

It sort of does remind me of my 1st Toyota p/u standard cab.
If I had the need, I'd be interested in one for around the town loads, you know, the "honey do" list and stuff.
I'm not real fond of the front suspension set up though, just a personal thing.

RE: Automatics. I love to shift. I take pride when driving manuals in changing gears so smoothly that my passengers don't even know it happened. I drive with one eye on the tach, even when I have an automatic. I learned to drive in a Scout with a granny low 1st and no tach. I shift my auto. trans too. I just love to shift.

I like shifting too. I have an FJ62 which is of course and auto. I've considered several times, switching over to an H55 std trans, but when I'm sitting in the parking lots we call roadways in morning and afternoon traffic, I'm really happy to have the auto. You can build the daylights out of an auto as well and they're perfect for precision movements....don't need a third foot :wings:

But there's no way bringing in a vehicle in limited numbers makes sense as a manual, unless its a sports-car. Modern automatics are smarter, more efficient and faster than me. And people are lazy.

Some people are are lazy, some are old, some are simply uncoordinated:sombrero:
I'm not sure it doesn't make sense though. Market research would bear out that need.

Navman

Adventurer
On a recent trip accross the pond, a European coworker gave me a ride in his manual and I asked if most of the cars were manual. His response - "Of course. Only really old people drive automatics".

On a recent trip accross the pond, a European coworker gave me a ride in his manual and I asked if most of the cars were manual. His response - "Of course. Only really old people drive automatics".

in the uk your insurance costs more with an auto. something like you cant drive good if you have an auto..

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
in the uk your insurance costs more with an auto. something like you cant drive good if you have an auto..

They also limit your driver's license if you have an auto. Besides, gas cost more for a liter there than a gallon here, no surprise they are trying to save as much gas as possible, and autos have always been more fuel inefficient.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
I shift in my auto all the time. Down from drive to 2nd or 1st to help me slow down or up a mountain pass to keep the tranny from shifting.

From what I have seen very few people do that. Most put it in D and forget about it, often at the expense of their brakes. Just go to Wilson, Wyoming to smell the proof of this!

Viggen

Just here...
I gave up on that thing a long time ago. Everytime I think the launch is close and get excited, it goes away for some reason or another. I want them to come to market so bad to prove that there is a diesel light duty truck market in the US.

No doubt Viggen. We are due to replace both cars, but honestly there is nothing out there I want. The balance between function and thrift is just not available.

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
I want to be excited about it coming, but I am concerned about the build quality. It would be great if they showed us what a USA spec truck looks like inside and out.

Navman

Adventurer
No doubt Viggen. We are due to replace both cars, but honestly there is nothing out there I want. The balance between function and thrift is just not available.

I feel the same way. But obviously we are wrong because all of the auto companies have reams of data on market research, focus groups, etc. and it all clearly shows that we need expensive vehicles with useless features.

I'm still crossing my fingers for Mahindra.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears