MAN 6x6 camper

Christian

Adventurer
Yes, they are made out of security glas. The flyscreen/curtain is a separate part that is mounted inside onto the frame.

They are made by Achim Krumm from http://www.kctechnik.de . He started this business just a few years ago and now delivers his windows to most of the top names in the expo vehicle business. The cost is about 1000 € per window, plus costs for the curtain/flyscreen. This seems to be expensive, but you get what you pay for. And the quality is really top, otherwise the top builders wouldn't use them.

I don't know the weight. I helped him to mount the inner frame and I think it is 10-15 kg.

The Seitz/Dometic windows itself are hard to break, but the mounting can break and it is easy to get scratches from tree branches.

In contrast the real glass window from Achim are very rigid.
If that isn't enough for shipping you can add an additional steel plate.

Give Achim a call or send him an Email. He will tell you the details. Give him a greeting from me. ;)

Thanks for the very informative reply! I can see why they're the favourite in the business, but it is a lot of money, and might be outside our budget... We plan on having a few more windows than the average in what we see of expedition vehicles. But it is really great to know where they are from.

dzzz

The Seitz/Dometic windows itself are hard to break, but the mounting can break and it is easy to get scratches from tree branches.

I don't care for the seitz interior moulding. It fits the classic white expo interior, but not much else. Although I do like awning windows. But I'm always pushing through tree branches. Acrylic doesn't work for me.

I don't think anyone in the U.S. makes an automotive full awning window. Apparently Americans are not smart enough to close the windows before driving.

Ironduff

Observer
I don't think anyone in the U.S. makes an automotive full awning window. Apparently Americans are not smart enough to close the windows before driving.

Awning windows are hugely better than most sliders in the rain. While it's not a full awning opening, Roadtrek (class B RV van mfg'r) uses a sort of 'half-awning' side window in their Chevy conversions. I'm not sure if it comes from a US or Canadian supplier, and I think the frame may have some curvature to fit the Chevy body panels. But It might be worth looking at. It's glass, and the gasket is concealed. I wish I could recall the maker's name, but a visit to www.roadtrek.com will net that or an email address to make an inquiry at. The window maker's name is also on the vehicle, if yoiu're close to a RT dealer.

Jim H.

egn

Adventurer

Even Achim makes this windows especially for expo vehicles, the base are windows that are used in roofs of houses. Effectivly he only changed the form factor, got special glassing and added his curtain/flyscreen system.

I don't know whether in the states are similar roof windows available, which can be adapted.

@Christian:
Look here, please. The windows from http://www.kusters.org may be an alternative. 4 Windows had costed about 1.300 € + tax. The difference to Achims windows are that they are sitting on top of the outer wall and are not flush like Achims. If that doesn't matter for you, then they may be an alternative. The owner of the white MAN is a friend and he is happy with this windows so far. The glass is also very robust. In Morocco there was a large stone thrown at one of the windows and it didn't break.

Last edited:

dzzz

Awning windows are hugely better than most sliders in the rain. While it's not a full awning opening, Roadtrek (class B RV van mfg'r) uses a sort of 'half-awning' side window in their Chevy conversions. ......

Jim H.

Thanks. I have found a few makers of half awnings. But when looking at short windows a half awning isn't piratical. I wonder if I could take a standard cellar window and replace the glass? I could strength the rough opening to resist any flex.

There are some horse trailer windows with integrated shutters. These windows are designed to be forward facing on the trailer. A top hinged shutter/hatch would might also be a good way to do windows too

I need to look at portholes.

Another window consideration:
The US RV standards code (which doesn't prevent the manufacture of RVs with totally inferior, fragile parts) does require a "punch-out" window as a fire escape. A person can escape though an awning type window IF there is no hardware in the middle. The Achim windows mentioned (I think they are the type used on my Unicat) have all the hardware on the side, so in an emergency I could dive 8' out of one of my windows,

Charlie

Christian

Adventurer
@Christian:
Look here, please. The windows from http://www.kusters.org may be an alternative. 4 Windows had costed about 1.300 € + tax. The difference to Achims windows are that they are sitting on top of the outer wall and are not flush like Achims. If that doesn't matter for you, then they may be an alternative. The owner of the white MAN is a friend and he is happy with this windows so far. The glass is also very robust. In Morocco there was a large stone thrown at one of the windows and it didn't break.

Thanks! Well, we are at a stage where were just beginning to change the engine. So it will be a while before we get to the windows, we haven't even got the sub-frame yet, let alone the box...

But on the Seitz-Dometic issue, isn't that what Earthroamer uses?
I can see that the all glass models a really nice, but the acrylic must be much lighter.

JRhetts

Adventurer
There are all kinds of plusses and minuses to the Seitz windows.

They seal well when closed, they are very good in very cold weather (-10°F and lower) and the design of the fly-screen/curtain is very flexible in terms of privacy and letting air in.

They do scratch, but over 5 years and nearly 80,000 miles I have several times very easily polished out MANY scratches - including some VERY deep ones from trees, cactus, etc. The best product I have found is Novus, a 2 stage set of compounds (#2 & #3). In an hour I can polish 4 windows back to truly new appearance.

The biggest two negatives to me have been: i) connecting the screen to the curtain on the longer [48"] windows; this requires connecting two rather than only one catch; it requires two hands and is a nuisance, tho it certainly works. ii) WORST: The screen material permits way too many bugs to enter; the mesh is too coarse to keep no-see-ems out and the sides are not secured (they run in a loose channel which the bugs - esp. moths - can easily circumvent).

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
Is it that hard to just pull out the material and put in new? Something that would meet your needs? As for the edges, I would think that perhaps some foam weather stripping might be able to be placed in on around the mount location to seal up the edges for you... Just a thought.

egn

Adventurer
It is time for a little update on the truck.

We had planned to mount solar laminate panels from Unisolar, but I have problems to get them here in Germany for an acceptable price. So I dropped this idea. I am now planning to install large glas laminate modules till next year. The space on top of the cabin is just large enough for 6 of this modules (6 x 280 W = 1680 W). 1680 W seems to be a high amount, but as we want to use our truck in northern areas, this gives some reserves.
As regulator I have already bought the Morningstar TS-MPPT-60, which will the convert the voltage of 2 modules in series down to 28 V. This gives the advantage that the MPP voltage will always be higher than the charging voltage for optimum use of the solar power.

The engine got also an update with an additional oil cooler for use in hot climate. The oil cooler is integrated into the air cooling of the engine like the transmission oil cooler. A manually switched electric oil pump takes the hot oil from the oil pan, pumps it through the cooler and then back into the crank shaft housing. It is exepected that this will drop the oil temperature by about 20° C.

Here are some images showing the modification:

During this action we also fixed some oil leaks at the cylinders and optimized the valve clearance. The engine is now running smoother and seems to have a little bit more power.

Currently we are working on a problem with the clutch, which isn't opening fully because some air loss in the actuator. This caused the abort of our last vacation through the Baltic States. Without the the torque converter it would have been impossible to drive back the 2000 km. So I could limit the gear changes to a minimum, and use only gears 4,5,6, and leave the gear 4 active during stops with running engine. Only overnight I took the gear out, but had serious problems to get it back in the next day.

I also had to replace 7 of the Effecta batteries. It seems to be that they were from an older batch, that was standing around for a longer time before installation.

Some time in the future we will probably add a further window at the back or the right side in the bed room for better airflow. For the last we must rework the layout of the bed room.

Last edited:

Blueyonder

Citizen of the world
Inspiring

Hi ppl :)

I'm new around here, i was drawn to this excellent portal by this thread, as I also have a dream of one day owning such a great overlander.

I've read all the posts and will continue to get back here, because i feel i can learn a lot from you guys (and girls), thanks!

If anyone of you plan on passing through Portugal drop me a PM ;) at least i will be able to offer a few cold drinks :sombrero:

Cheers, Daniel

Lynn

Expedition Leader
Hey egn,

Sorry to hear of your troubles. Please keep us up to date on the modifications, with lots of pictures!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan