Mauka2Makai - Our Quest Begins...An 80 Series Adventure

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
Wow, i definitively want two of them for my 200`er! I didnt find the Link on mud - hope someone could add a directlink!

Here's the link to follow for the WagonGear cargo windows over on Mud. Express your interest and lets hope we'll be seeing these in the near future.

Thank you for the FBRv2 info!

Can you show us a detail shot; more from underneith so we can get a better look of how you have this mounted?
View attachment 87364

GCRad1, I'll get some pics up tomorrow on where I made notches and how its mounted.

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
Sounds like Kevin at WagonGear needs a donor 80 to really get the ball rolling on the cargo windows. Anyone in the Eugene, Oregon area willing to part with their 80 for a while? :sombrero:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauka2makai
Kevin, Patiently waiting in line... Any updates or teaser pics for an 80 series cargo window? After having installed your cargo lid and seeing first hand your quality and workmanship, I have no doubt that the cargo window will be of the same caliber. Like noted earlier, just patiently waiting amongst many. Thank you.

Thanks Deyon, I've got nothing to show for the 80s, all things 80 are delayed until I can get an 80 to work with (at least the back half of one). I need one to finish the side panel design and get working on the windows. The problem is that I need a fairly permanent side-yard resident, not a "I can leave mine there for the weekend", or even ".....the month" It will take lots of going back and forth with templates and test pieces to finish up both the designs.

surfponto

Observer
I agree. That is a great mod. Have had that on my list since my friend installed one last year.
Liking that flip up window also.

Great 80s build thread :)
Bob

Very cool! The tailgate lid is on my list of mods, once I get a Cruiser... :ylsmoke:

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
$4.21x20.4=$85.88 256/20.4=12.5mpg

With the prices of gas going ever so higher each day, I thought I'd break it down for those wondering what type of gas mileage a cruiser slightly modded with a RTT used as a daily driver might achieve. I am very easy on the pedal during acceleration and cruise 65 on the freeways. These figures are 80% freeway and 20% city... driving to work and around home. I have stock gears with 285 MT's and 172k on the truck.

$4.21 regular unleaded
20.4 gallons filled
$85.88 total amount
256 miles on the odometer since last fill up
divided by 20.4 gallons filled
12.5 mpg average

12.5 has been pretty consistent for the last 4 times of filling up +or- .5.

FYI: I changed out my K&N a couple of months ago for a Toyota OEM air filter and saw a noticeable increase of ~ 1 mpg. :Wow1:

So what does this all mean? For me I'd rather drive my LC everyday... even as a DD. I may be spending double the amount in fuel costs as others, but at least were in a LC and a whole lot safer; than lets say my old Prius. The more the LC is driven, the sooner the time will come for a engine conversion. :)

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
...I have stock gears with 285 MT's and 172k on the truck.

$4.21 regular unleaded
20.4 gallons filled
$85.88 total amount
256 miles on the odometer since last fill up
divided by 20.4 gallons filled
12.5 mpg average
...)

In your MPG calc you aren't factoring in for your larger tire size than stock. For example if your tires are 6% larger than stock you are likely driving approximately 6% more miles than your ODO will read. I'm not sure what your percentage is but take the 6% for example, in your calc, it would look like this: (256x1.06)= 271.4 miles then divide by 20.4 gallons = 13.3 MPG

Every little bit helps :ylsmoke:

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
Now we're talking!

Something without spark plugs? :wings:

I'm thinking long term sustainability for the LC... you guys are on the right track. My goal is within 4-6 years.

In your MPG calc you aren't factoring in for your larger tire size than stock. For example if your tires are 6% larger than stock you are likely driving approximately 6% more miles than your ODO will read. I'm not sure what your percentage is but take the 6% for example, in your calc, it would look like this: (256x1.06)= 271.4 miles then divide by 20.4 gallons = 13.3 MPG

Every little bit helps :ylsmoke:

Ryanmb21, Your absolutely right... didn't even think about factoring in for a larger tire size than stock. As per Miata.net tire size calculator, with a stock size of 275/70 16 and my increased size of 285/75 16 it calculates my speedo reading to be 5.4% too slow. Which translates to 256 x 1.054 = 269.8 miles divided by 20.4 gallons = 13.2 MPG.

Thanks for bringing this to light... At 13.2 MPG I'm very happy, just wish the range was a bit more.

Blackwater

Im getting old! :(
Makai, where's our update on the build brotha!!

Your build is my absolute favorite on the net b/c it's my LC only mines in slo-mo. Lol.
I should start a build thread... Maybe one of these days.

Give us a few pictures or something.. HaHa

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
Makai, where's our update on the build brotha!!

Your build is my absolute favorite on the net b/c it's my LC only mines in slo-mo. Lol.
I should start a build thread... Maybe one of these days.

Give us a few pictures or something.. HaHa

I'm currently away for training... Be back in a couple of weeks. I've got my IBS DB setup and some PM instore for when I get back. Keeping fingers crossed for a jaunt to J Tree aswell. I miss my family and the LC, looking forward to some trail time aswell. Stay tuned Blackwater... Thanks my friend.

JustLikeUGuys

Hi Makai,

Great build, i have a white 97' as well that i am building now.

Question: I cannot tell when you switched from the no lift OMEs to the heavies because you were loaded with gear in those pics. It must of been before post #89 where you added the spacers since later on you mention you wish you had added them when you installed the 850s.

I really like the look of your cruiser's stance and am trying to gauge, with winch and dual batteries up front, if i should mimic you with spacers (was going to use heavies all around as well and no bumper for me).

Are you concerned that adding winch and another battery will lower your front more than wanted?

Cheers

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
Dang I think this is the longest I've gone without updating the thread. Here's what's new...I've opted to concentrate funds more so on the PM side rather than MODS. A BIG thanks to Mario and the guys at Top Line Performance in Huntington Beach for installing all new Toyota oem u joints front and rear, rod and relay ends, and lower control arm bolts and nuts as the MAF 2" drop brackets were removed and Slee 3* castor correction bushings and frame side bushings were installed on the lower control arm. With these new components and a fresh alignment... the slight high frequency vibe felt at higher speeds are gone and the LC is tracking straighter than ever.
In preparation for the IBS DB install a new Toyota oem alternator, starter, and fusible links were also installed along with fourrunner's FZJ80 heavy duty battery cable kit. I'm hoping to start the installation next week or so.
At Mario's shop I was able to see and really appreciate... the creative and robust 4x4 Labs rear bumper. I'm in awe and sold on this rear bumper. When ordered in kit form it's a lot more economically viable. One day... right.:drool:

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
Hi Makai,

Great build, i have a white 97' as well that i am building now.

Question: I cannot tell when you switched from the no lift OMEs to the heavies because you were loaded with gear in those pics. It must of been before post #89 where you added the spacers since later on you mention you wish you had added them when you installed the 850s.

I really like the look of your cruiser's stance and am trying to gauge, with winch and dual batteries up front, if i should mimic you with spacers (was going to use heavies all around as well and no bumper for me).

Are you concerned that adding winch and another battery will lower your front more than wanted?

Cheers

Thanks man... Great choice of vehicle to start a build on. I started my suspension shuffle with OME no lift front and rear with 295's and quickly transitioned to 850's and 863's with 295's and now 285's. I installed a 1" spacer to help compensate for lost height with the anticipation of installing the ARB front bumper, a winch, and a DBS. With the LC unloaded...the stance is perfect for my taste, but with all the gear I feel the 863's are at their max safe operating weight capacity. With what I know now, I would have just installed 850's +1" and 864's in anticipation for a future rear bumper plus current camping load. Ideally the See 3* would have initially been installed as well.
I would't rule out bumpers in your future, they are inevitable.
Good luck... enjoy your build and lets see some pictures.

IMG_2540.jpg

All stock no lift.

IMG_3235.jpg

OME no lift with 295's

IMG_3904.jpg

OME 850 and 863 with 295's

IMG_6696.jpg

OME 850+1" and 863 with 285's

IMG_8972.jpg

How the LC currently stands... minus the MAF 2" drop brackets that were recently replaced with SLEE 3* CC bushings.

Note: I was perfectly happy with the 2" MAF drop brackets... they performed extremely well in all aspects, just wanted to set myself up for a future installation of some slider steps. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger