Maxtrax mounting ideas on JKU

ReconH3

Heavy Duty Adventurer
I'm looking for Maxtrax mount ideas on my JKU. I always carry 4 Maxtrax. 2 stacks of 2. No roof rack ideas because I have no plans for one. What is everyone doing to carry them? I have the Maxtrax pins to hold them but haven't come up with a location I like. I always have a hardtop so ideally that would be the location but don't want the pins sticking up when the Maxtraxs aren't on there. Maybe put the pins on a hinge and flip them down when not using them. I'm not a Fiberglas guy so I have no idea how to secure them in a solid way. I like the Maxtrax pins because you can padlock them down. Suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Strapped to the spare. Advantages and disadvantages.

I just strapped them to the spare tire.

What I like about this location:
1). out of the way
2). easy to get to
3). Provides a bit more "cushion" if I back into brush, trees, Washington Memorial... ;)
4). Big orange stripe across the rear of the Jeep to warn people that driver is inept. They usually don't tailgate :)

What I don't like about this location/straps:
1). Not at all theft or joker resistant
2). Have to remove before removing the spare.
3). If mounted too high it covers the backup camera
4). Big orange stripe across the rear of the Jeep to warn people that driver is inept. :elkgrin:

Attachments

• Trail-1_Snowed-out.jpg
    Trail-1_Snowed-out.jpg
    238.5 KB · Views: 158
  • Mojave-Road-Mail-Box-800.jpg
    Mojave-Road-Mail-Box-800.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 154

ReconH3

Heavy Duty Adventurer
That was my second choice if theft resistance wasn't such a priority. Surfboard straps on the roof would be another low profile alternative if theft wasn't an issue.

ReconH3

Heavy Duty Adventurer
I did just get an enlightenment moment there. Make a mount that attaches to tire mount with the Maxtrax pins on it. Similar to hilift or shovel mounts that can be removed. Since it has the pins, it can be locked.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
I put mine on the AEV Hi-Lift mount that goes on their tire carrier, where a pull-pal would normally go.

I have them locked on with a cable lock - a padlock would work well too.

I fit two of them with a high-lift and Titan gas tank.

I'll bet 4 would fit no worries if you didn't have a hi-lift on there.

africa-jk-back-arb-awning-720x480.jpg

I'm going to do a full write up with pics and details in the next week or two on exactly how I did it.

-Dan

cowboybirder

Observer
What about inside

I'm looking for Maxtrax mount ideas on my JKU. I always carry 4 Maxtrax. 2 stacks of 2. No roof rack ideas because I have no plans for one. What is everyone doing to carry them? I have the Maxtrax pins to hold them but haven't come up with a location I like. I always have a hardtop so ideally that would be the location but don't want the pins sticking up when the Maxtraxs aren't on there. Maybe put the pins on a hinge and flip them down when not using them. I'm not a Fiberglas guy so I have no idea how to secure them in a solid way. I like the Maxtrax pins because you can padlock them down. Suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

What about inside attached to the roll cage at the ceiling? I do not have Maxtrax yet but have been wondering about mounting also.
Cowboybirder
2014JKUR

ReconH3

Heavy Duty Adventurer
What about inside attached to the roll cage at the ceiling? I do not have Maxtrax yet but have been wondering about mounting also.
Cowboybirder
2014JKUR

Between roll cage and roof? I don't know if there the space but will look.

patsfan

Observer
How about mounted to the hood? You could either drill the hood for the pins, or modify a mount that is designed for a high-lift jack or maybe one that's designed for an LED light bar.
Or maybe even totally fabricated something yourself that mounts to the existing Hood hinge bolts.

ReconH3

Heavy Duty Adventurer
How about mounted to the hood? You could either drill the hood for the pins, or modify a mount that is designed for a high-lift jack or maybe one that's designed for an LED light bar.
Or maybe even totally fabricated something yourself that mounts to the existing Hood hinge bolts.

I have considered this and it's still on my potential option list. The fact that I have 4 Maxtrax instead of the typical 2 has made me put it lower down on the list. The bracket would have to have another anchor point besides just the hinge. I've considered using the holes of the hood bumpers as the extra anchor point.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
As other have suggested, I would recommend mounting them to the spare, there are many ways to do it. They can be secured from theft with locks in the MaxTraxx pins, and whatever the pins are mounted to on the spare can be secured with a bicycle lock through the spare carrier.

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
Mount to spare with a lock to discourage theft. I doubt people steal Maxtrax. they don't look like much. I've considered all the above options also. I've been putting it on the spare but would like to move to Grecy's set up. It just requires getting main brand maxtrax and the AEV hi-lift mount. I use a ratchet strap and loop it through the wheel itself. Using the tire to keep them in place. Another Idea I've been toying with is on top of Rotopax on the spare tire using the Vector Off Road Exo Rack. You could lock them to the Exo rack which is locked to the spare tire by the rotopax.

29348671770_06c506438e_c.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online