Maxtrax mounting ideas on JKU

kenaero

Observer
I put mine on the AEV Hi-Lift mount that goes on their tire carrier, where a pull-pal would normally go.

I have them locked on with a cable lock - a padlock would work well too.

I fit two of them with a high-lift and Titan gas tank.

I'll bet 4 would fit no worries if you didn't have a hi-lift on there.

africa-jk-back-arb-awning-720x480.jpg

I'm going to do a full write up with pics and details in the next week or two on exactly how I did it.

-Dan
This is how I did mine

GetOutThere

Adventurer
Following with interest. Roof rack isn't in the cards right now, and so far I've just tossed them in the trunk in the box. Not ideal.

Strapped them to the spare a couple of times, but I have yet to figure out a method that leaves them easy and quick to access, yet securely mounted.

Since I have an AEV tire carrier, I'm pretty interested in Dan's method.

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
I use the Jeep Swag stealth hi lift mount behind the rear roll bar with the acceessory bars to mount my axe. But there's enough room above it for max trax. But I use it for my tent.

97e63128adc54cd2fc406a7c8ea9c168.jpg

Bruce_B

I used a couple of wood shims to mount my Max Trax to the hood of my JKU. The center grab handle on the Trax is cut out so they don't catch the windshield washer spray.

Attachments

• 20201107_080402.jpg
    20201107_080402.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 45

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I used a couple of wood shims to mount my Max Trax to the hood of my JKU. The center grab handle on the Trax is cut out so they don't catch the windshield washer spray.

Recently I did a mockup of a gear mounting panel for the hood; the panel in these photos is from a prototype of something else I did a few years ago so it's not exactly the size I would make one of these for use on a real Jeep

HoodGridMockup1.jpg

I mounted the panel to the hood hinges and the front of it is supported by the windshield bumpers and secured with the windshield footman loop. The hood hinges aren't factory JK hinges, they're HD hinges which are designed to enable things to be mounted to them, so this panel can be installed without disturbing the bolts securing the hinges to the hood. And it can be removed in minutes, making it perfect for installation only when needed for an expedition.

In the photo above the grid has mounting studs for a Hilift on the panel and a pair of Quickfist clamps to hold a shovel.

HoodGridMockup2.jpg

Bit it would also be great for MaxTrax or for aluminum sand ladders (they're just setting on the panel in this photo, they're not bolted down):

HoodGridMockup4.jpg

The above photos are just a mockup using a panel I had on hand, if I were to make one of these for real use, I'd make it larger as shown by the dashed line in this next photo but I did this mockup just as quick proof of concept starter so I used a panel I had on hand instead of making a larger one just for this mockup.

HoodGridMockup3.jpg

BTW here's a way to deal with things mounted on the hood getting in the way of the washer jets, this item was in one of the Land Rover magazines I subscribe to:

WetWipers.jpg

Bruce_B

I mounted the panel to the hood hinges and the front of it is supported by the windshield bumpers and secured with the windshield footman loop. The hood hinges aren't factory JK hinges, they're HD hinges which are designed to enable things to be mounted to them, so this panel can be installed without disturbing the bolts securing the hinges to the hood. And it can be removed in minutes, making it perfect for installation only when needed for an expedition.
Very nice. As all of your work is. Did you fabricate the hinges yourself?

I previously had the Max Trax mounted under the front cross bar of a Yakima roof rack. I clipped the end of the cross bar on an overhanging rock in Gold Butte National Monument, which shattered both cross bar mounts. Decided the hood mount would be a better solution. One downside is that I can't tilt the hood all the way back to the hardtop now.

ABoogerJeep

I used the Jeep Swag stealth hi lift mount behind the rear roll bar with the accessory bars to mount my axe. But there's enough room above it for max trax. But I use it for my tent.

97e63128adc54cd2fc406a7c8ea9c168.jpg

I did something with my Jeep swag mount for my maxtrax knockoffs. I have my shovel & axe up on the roll bar. Used some C channel & some bolts through the hilift holes to mount it up. Easy to remove & replace. Eye bolts have been replaced with knobs, tightening them compresses the trax up into the hardtop.
. IMG_20200130_185841 (2).jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I did something with my Jeep swag mount for my maxtrax knockoffs. I have my shovel & axe up on the roll bar. Used some C channel & some bolts through the hilift holes to mount it up. Easy to remove & replace. Eye bolts have been replaced with knobs, tightening them compresses the trax up into the hardtop.
. View attachment 631278
Seems to me that mounting them inside the Jeep is a good idea until you have use them to extract yourself from mud. Sure would be nice to hang muddy ones somewhere on the outside rather than on the inside.

ABoogerJeep

Seems to me that mounting them inside the Jeep is a good idea until you have use them to extract yourself from mud. Sure would be nice to hang muddy ones somewhere on the outside rather than on the inside.

Agree on the mud. They wouldn't be put back inside. Always have a few spare tie downs handy & they'd get strapped to the tire or rack most likely.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online