McCool's basic trailer build

gillbrak

Anyone have opinions on running the fridge through a rocket switch? I cant see any benefit to it, I'm thinking I'll just wire it directly to the fuse block.

I also need to work out a hookup for "shore power". I've planned on solar, but with just the fridge and some led lights, the batteries are lasting 10 to 12 days. I dont see us being away from power for that long unfortunately, so the solar setup isnt a high priority for me at this point.

I run that same fridge on my trailer directly to the fuse box. I have a 120W panel that I set up if staying put for a few days. Have never had an issue.

john61ct

Adventurer
I'd take the tank a bit further back of the axle.

Can always move some heavy stuff forward to get tongue weight right, or run with empty / half full tank.

Putting it directly over the axle gives less flexibility as thing change,

dronrnd

@Mccool Very good looking build! What size tubing did you use to make the telescoping RTT setup?
oops, never mind just found this the first page - 1" square & 1.25"
Can you please let me know your thoughts on how this setup been working out for you? I'm planning to build something similar and currently researching on the tubing size. I will have RTT with annex and an awning on the opposite side. Trying to figure if it will support all of the weight.

Last edited:

Mccool

Observer
@Mccool Very good looking build! What size tubing did you use to make the telescoping RTT setup?
oops, never mind just found this the first page - 1" square & 1.25"
Can you please let me know your thoughts on how this setup been working out for you? I'm planning to build something similar and currently researching on the tubing size. I will have RTT with annex and an awning on the opposite side. Trying to figure if it will support all of the weight.

Thanks! That's correct, the rack is 1" tubing. The tubing it slides in to on the trailer is 1.25".

It definitely holds the weight fine, no worries there. The struts havent held up very well. They are getting replaced with linear actuators soon.

Mccool

Observer
Got a stupid question for you, how do you collapse the struts back down? Doesn't seem like it would take too kindly to one side and then the other? Mind sharing a video?

To collapse the struts, I pull the two front pins which allows the front to drop an inch or two. Then I go pull the back two pins and the back drops a little. From there, I just pull down on the back and the front will drop itself as I lower the back.

Hopefully that makes sense, I dont have a video handy unfortunately.

That said, the struts have not been great. One has completely broken. When new, they lifted the rack up mostly by themselves. Now, they need a lot of help from my wife and I to lift it. I am working on replacing the struts with linear actuators. I love the rack design overall though.

dronrnd

Thanks! That's correct, the rack is 1" tubing. The tubing it slides in to on the trailer is 1.25".

It definitely holds the weight fine, no worries there. The struts havent held up very well. They are getting replaced with linear actuators soon.

Thank you very much for the update!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle