Me and My PN-40

mcgovski

Adventurer
I wish I was posting a report of how much I love my PN-40...but to tell you truth I am having a heck of a time just figuring this thing out. to be honest the thing is making me feel like and idiot!!!!!
for me it has not been a plug and play unit!

EdoHart

Observer
Not to be a smart MMM, but did you read the manual?

I've had a PN-20 almost from the time they came out and recently purchased a PN-40 (I lied in another thread about the 40, in which I said I would make do with the 20). When I got the PN-20 I spent 1/2 a day reading the manual and playing with it all around my neighborhood. I did have a first generation Magellan unit, so I understood some of the basic GPS terminology. Upgrading to the PN-40 was easy for me as the interfaces are identical except for the new features of the PN-40.

What kind of problems are you having? I'll be glad to give you any help that I can offer, and I'm sure others will as well.

Team DeLorme

mcgovski, please feel free to ask any specific questions and we'll do our best to help.
There is also a lot of help available on the DeLorme forums: http://forum.delorme.com; and our US-based customer service and tech support folks are always happy to help as well: 800-511-2459.

Let us know how we can help!

-Brian
-Team DeLorme

mcgovski

Adventurer
Thanks guys!
Okay, I got the connection firmware, that is not a problem. But I cant seem to get maps from TOPO 7 on to an SD card or on to the unit itself. I did get the generic western map that came with it to load...but there are not a lot of roads on these maps...at least not where I live. So, I wanted to load a couple of surrounding counties on to an SD card from TOPO 7, no luck there. Also, I have created several "tracks" on my mountain bike that I would like to view on the computer and save on to the computer...I am hoping that this unit will be the perfect GPS for my mountain bike, motor cycle and in the truck. so I want to record tracks and follow routes with good map data....

I hope this early morn brain purge makes sense

Thanks for the help and the useful link!

Cheers

Chris

1speed

Explorer
mcgovski, please feel free to ask any specific questions and we'll do our best to help.
There is also a lot of help available on the DeLorme forums: http://forum.delorme.com; and our US-based customer service and tech support folks are always happy to help as well: 800-511-2459.

Let us know how we can help!

-Brian
-Team DeLorme

I'm glad to see you participating here. I have to say my one and only customer service encounter with your company was great. I had an almost new PN-40 that wouldn't power up and from the first phone call I think I had it back in a week and a half, tops.
Customer service nowadays is so often just words, I'm happy to see a company that still knows the meaning of the term.

EdoHart

Observer
When you power up the PN-40 once it's connected to the computer (or it's powered on and you connect the USB cable to the computer), it should recognize that it's connected to a computer and give 2 options - Data Exchange or Map Transfer. Data exchange is how you transfer routes, waypoints and tracks to and from the PN-40. Map Transfer is for exchanging maps. Use the up and down button to highlight the one you want, then press the enter button. When you select Map Transfer, you get another menu with Transfer to SD Card or Transfer to Internal. Select either of those, then leave it like that until you are done sending or receiving maps and press enter when you are finished.

So, the first question, are you getting the Data Exchange or Map Exchange menu?

mcgovski

Adventurer
Okay
so i started to play around with it again last night using all the great instruction. But for some reason, most likely me, I cant same a map file from topo 7 and export it to an SD card. I would like to load a lot of info onto the card. for example, I want to load nevada, yuba, sierra and placer counties...how do i do that? I dont know...this is my first GPS so bear with me!

thanks

EdoHart

Observer
Create a map package

First you have to create a map to send to the PN-40.

1) Click the Handheld Export tab on the bottom of the screen.
2) Click the Select/Edit button on the far left of the Handheld export tab
3) Click the rectangles in the map portion of the screen that you want to include in the map to send to the GPS. You may have to zoom in or change the grid size. Just below the Select/edit button is a drop down list for selecting the grid size, and below that is a legend telling you at which zoom levels the grids will be displayed.
4) Save the map. About in the middle of the Handheld Export tab is an field labeled Save your Map for Exchange. The default name is Exported Map, but I like to give them unique names. Just type what you want to call it, then click the Save button just to the right of the name.
5) Once you have a Saved Map Package, you're ready to send it to the GPS. Your saved maps will be listed below the "Save your Map for Exchange" field.
a) Connect the GPS and put it in Map Transfer mode as discussed above.
b) Click the Exchange button in TOPO USA
c) In the window that pops up, the left side shows what is on your computer via TOPO USA, the right side shows what is on the GPS. You may need to use the drop down list in the upper right corner to select "Removable Disk ..."
d) In the left pane, click the plus arrow next to Saved map packages, highlight the one you want to send, then click the Send button. Depending on the size it may take a while. I haven't done an entire county on the PN-40 yet, but the PN-20 required many minutes. At least a progress bar appears showing you the relative amount it's completed.

A few notes. When you are creating map packages, you can use the options button to include the type of data you to include - for instance the Topo USA stuff you see in the map window, downloaded Satellite imagery, USGS 7.5' quads, etc. Even though those are all saved in one "Saved Map Package" they are sent to the GPS as separate files, so may see the progress bar almost done, then look a minute later and see it way back at the beginning. The progress bar will tell you which file of the package is is currently sending.

The Topo USA data is very compact, but the other, downloaded stuff is basically scanned images and a small area can quickly become a huge file. You can easily fit a large county's worth of Topo USA data on the included 1 GB card, but maybe only a few square miles of Satellite images, color aerial images and USGS 7.5' quads.

Saved Map Packages are different from Topo Projects, but that's a discussion for another time.

Forgive me if I've included too much detail about creating map files, but I figure this may help others as well.

Last edited:

EdoHart

Observer
I'm Glad I could help.

If you don't mind, let us know when you have successfully loaded the maps you want to the the PN-40. Transferring waypoints, tracks and routes between the PN-40 and the computer isn't much different once you get used to the interface.

mcgovski

Adventurer
will do

Ed
I will let you know. I think I will have some time before the weekend. I owe you a beer or 6!

Thanks

Chris

mcgovski

Adventurer
bad unit

Okay, I might not be the smartest guy around, but I can follow instructions. So I am relieved the the problem with my PN-40 is with the Unit and not me. I am sending the Unit back to them and they are going to have a look at it.
thanks Delorme and thanks for the advice here. Hopefully round 2 will be much better

Cheers

Chris

I hope I dont get lost between now and when I get the unit back! ;]

mcgovski

Adventurer
The PN-40 is back

Well I got my PN-40 back.
I was told they were going to fix my unit since it was an 8gig unit and they did not have anymore of those...fine by me, thats what I want and 8 gig, thats what I bought. So, I got it back the other day turned it on, plugged it in to the computer to start loading 8 gigs of basic maps. its working!!!!!...only it will only take less than 1 gig.
I am pretty sure they switched my 8 gig unit for a 1 gig unit. Not pleased at the moment.
I bought this unit in March, the 2nd to be exact and I have yet to be able to use it...I can use the one I have now, but its not the one i shelled out $540 for.

sorry for the rant

Chris

mcgovski

Adventurer
I have never resolved the issues with my PN-40...and to be honest, I had to put it away for awhile and step away from the unit. I thought I might be the big reason I still could not get this unit to work. So Today I picked it up again and tried to start over. Soon I was on the phone with Delorme's Customer Service and we were trouble shooting the unit. After a bit of time, some emails, some firmware, some reboots, it was determined that there is something wrong with this second unit. I am relieved again, that it is not me! Thankfully I got this email from the CS rep:

Thank you for contacting Delorme Technical Support. After speaking with several people here, I confirmed that we are getting in brand new PN-40SE’s in about 2 weeks. I will then contact you then about replacing your device. Also, for your trouble I’ll send you a free copy of Topo 8. Can you please email me your shipping address? If you have any further questions or issues, please reply to this email.

I feel confident that this time the unit will work and I will be able to find my way to the Overland Expo in April!

A big thanks to Delorme and their Customer Service...

mcgovski

Adventurer
I must be a sucker

Well, i just got the third "new" pn40se unit from Delorme. they were kind enough to give me a free version of topo 8. I just tried to set up the device and guess what. it doesnt work. So I got on the phone and spent an hour with the tech guy, still doesnt work. It must be your computer, he says. Oh? let me try it on a different computer...oh, it still doesnt work. let me send you a new cord, he says...I have a new cord right here still in its package...still doesnt work on either computer...you are out of luck, he say. I want my money back...you can only do that after 30 days, he says... I have had 3 of these in just shy of 1 year. Not one of the units have worked. Delorme has had the units for 9 of the 12 months I have owned it. out of luck? I am not happy at all.
I would have a hard time ever buying or even excepting another Delorme gps. right now I dont even think I will ever buy a paper map from them again!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998