Mean Green alternators

McFly2003

Adventurer
Tango, thanks! Its reassuring to know that someone with a rig like yours shares is my lack of knowledge Haha. I saw your rig at IPOR a while back being worked on...had to wipe my chin. Luckily, right now I am not running much on the electrical system, just the basics plus some hid retrofitted ipf's. I wont add anymore to it until I get this sorted out
I see your pretty local, if you et out for any ifs friendly wheeling before mid february, let me know! I have yet to do any good wheeling out here in VA

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Box Rocket

I ran a Optima redtop and a Mean Green alt in my FJ40. I was very happy with the alternator. I frequently ended up as the designated winch vehicle on many trail runs and never had an issue with power, even with just the single battery setup.

IMG_0649.jpg

Pikeman

Adventurer
Thanks for the good info on this alt....I have been considering it for a long time.

McFly: be warned, a red top that gets low, ie below 12.8v will soon be dead. I have 4 red tops on the shop floor that are all dead due to getting de-charged. Red tops once flat can not be charged, I have even tried the parallel charging method with no luck. If they are under warranty you can get a new one. Unfortunately for me all 4 of mine we anywhere from a month to a year past warranty.

I disagree with the statement they cannot be brought back. I had a friend that pulled 4 out of his motorhome because they were dead. They sat for over two years on his concrete floor(another battery killer). I got them and put them on a slow trickle charge for a few days and ran one of them for two more years trouble free and he kept the others and put back in his motorhome. To bring it back it takes a slow charge over a couple day period. Of course those were the older Red Tops before they moved to Mexico.

I have not used the Mean green but I am considering one of those if my alternator is one that cannot be rewound by Boyle. There are two years that used alternators Boyle says cannot be rewound with good results.

Last edited:

Adventurer
HI All,
In a back country situation, away from most help, It seems to me that an alternator is a very bad place to try to economize. The whole vehicle is dependent upon the alternator and battery. Why would one not want the best?

I have a Mean Green 160 Amp alternator and a Mean Green starter. Been very happy with both. I also have a dual Odyssey battery system to show you that I practice what I preach. The electrical system can't afford to be fragile in any way.

Sparky

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
I have a Mean Green on order from Sierra Expeditions. We're looking forward to running 6 halogen offroad lights, multiple radios and GPS systems at the same time without worry. I'll keep any eye on this thread and further down the road if/when i have any problems. I don't assume we'll have any though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12