Scenic WonderRunner

Message in the Waves...

Message in the Waves.

What a Mess!

"Live like you are in a canoe"

More Info...

Trashed.

The Trash Vortex...

I saw this show on Animal Planet and wanted to share.

What areas are you working on to do your part to help with this terrible problem? Did you even know about it?

I've walked that area of beach on the Big Island and was horrified!

Click around at the first link up top. There are video clips there that will help educate about this huge problem.

Tell your friends please.....

Pacific-Garbage-Patch30oct07.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I have seen some of this massive plastic waste in person while crossing the Pacific on the tall ship Irving Johnson.
It comes down to lazyness and it really gets me fryed:mad: How hard is it to clean up after yourself.

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
Wow. We really need to find something that breaks down better than plastic to use in the future. Awareness helps, but its always nice to prevent some of it with a better substance.
I wonder what scientists will come up with in the future?

S

Scenic WonderRunner

So...

Have we learned anything yet?

At least I can tell you...

That my Recycle bin...is Always More full than my Garbage bin!

I promise!

What have you done to help out?

Maximus Ram

Expedition Leader
well, paper products and glasss go into the recycle container and aluminum and plastic goes to the recycler for $$MMMMMMMMMMMM.unfortunately here in Kali, they are making it complicated to recycle your own. as of the 1st of Nov., it will take 3 days for you to get a check for anything brought to the recyclers. And on the 1st of the year they will require a thumb print for any recyclables brought in....now I know this is in part due to the thefts of metals, but I also believe it is to discourage the public from recycling and putting everything in the containers for the city/states to get the $$ for them.....plus they the can raise your rates because of the extra people they have to hire to sort the increaseMMMMMMMMMMMM:Wow1: :peepwall:

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Wow. We really need to find something that breaks down better than plastic to use in the future. Awareness helps, but its always nice to prevent some of it with a better substance.
I wonder what scientists will come up with in the future?

There are a few developments on the near horizon that are quite impressive. Things that will make PLA a thing of the past, long before it ever catches on (which, IMO, is a good thing...PLA is over-rated, at best). At least that is what I am hearing from trusted industry sources (who are not directly involved in said developments).

The next few years will be interesting in the plastics industry...particularly the PET segment.

Desolation

Adventurer
Ummm... Been recycling and composting for more then 30 years.
Including our vehicles, nothing newer then 1994.:smiley_drive:
Do not buy (when possible) plastic packaging and then TRY to get plastics that 'actually are recycled'. FWIW, Nearly Imposable!
Start hauling your own trash, the volume will drop rapidly when you do! Recycling is free, trash costs.
In our case 4 trips a year, at $8.00-$10.00/trip.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
I've crossed the Pacific several times and the WORST sea trash we see is around the Phillipines and Malaysia/Indonesia... seems they throw all their trash in the ocean :(

That giant trash island sounds like a navigational hazard! :088:

S

Scenic WonderRunner

Thank God for good People!

Project Kaisei....

http://www.projectkaisei.org/index.html

The Mission

Project Kaisei consists of a team of innovators, scientists, environmentalists, ocean lovers, sailors, and sports enthusiasts who have come together with a common purpose. To study the North Pacific Gyre and the marine debris that has collected in this oceanic region, to determine how to capture the debris and to study the possible retrieval and processing techniques that could be potentially employed to detoxify and recycle these materials into diesel fuel. This first research expedition, scheduled for the summer of 2009, will be critical to understanding the logistics that would be needed to launch future clean-up operations and testing existing technologies that have never been utilized under oceanic conditions.

Project Kaisei will examine the largest area of the Plastic Vortex, an ocean gyre, situated to the North East of Hawaii, and approximately five days by boat from the United States (San Francisco area). The expedition will consist of a large pass through the Plastic Vortex, with the aim to collect and study plastic and other debris forms from the ocean in order to showcase some of the new technologies that will be used for processing and recycling.

kaisei.jpg

Cody1771

Explorer
it is a navigational hazard... it can cause serious damage to a ship running through it. i havnt seen it but ive worked on a ship that had to divert course around it. i was in Jakarta indonesia for awhile and the harbour there has a solid sheet of plastic on the surface. i dont exagerate at all. we had to clean all the sea strainers out after those trips. this giant island of trash has been there for a long time though. and is still growing

S

Scenic WonderRunner

My Plastic Experience today.

It was so hot in North County San Diego.... 106*. That I just had to get out of the heat, so I would not have to turn on my own 4 Ton A/C unit to cool my 3,500 sq. ft. house for just one person.

I headed out to do some shopping and take advantage of the free A/C. Both Grocery stores I visited, actually had lights turned off today to help save electricity. I personally thanked the Managers. Now thats smart! I used to do that in my own stores.

I finally ended up at Wal~Mart. They have a mini McDonald's. I ordered up a $1.00 McDouble and a glass of Water.

The cup handed to me was a Solid Plastic Cup that I know I could reuse for the rest of my life!:Wow1:

Why don't they give us Paper Cups, that can be recycled and/or decompose much faster?

You would think that a company this large, and smart, could figure this out!

I normally save these plastic cups and use them in the SWR. It's hard for me to throw anything away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior