Message in the Waves............

• Thread starter Scenic WonderRunner
  • Start date
S

Scenic WonderRunner

What did you do to help our Planet Today?

It's a daily work in progress!

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
I started working on a plan to use recycled rainwater gathered from the rooftop of our concrete manufacturing plant to use in our crusher operation and plan to eventually use the water for spraying out the noses of our end dump trailers, when I can get a permit to do so!

It will save money and is good for the environment. Stuff like this is a little hard to do in Texas, as recycling has only been discovered in certain locales. Educate, then put in in dollars and cents, that seems to be the only way to get the point across down here!

If you want to see what kind of trash is floating around in out oceans, go to the beaches of south Texas. All the hurricane trash gets washed up there. A real eye opener!

Last edited:
S

Scenic WonderRunner

Thank You Mr. Leary!

Everyone needs to Help!

God Bless!

Thank You!

77blazerchalet

Former Chalet owner
Been a recycler for 2+ decades, my latest 'dumpster diver score' was a pair of perfectly usable plastic lamps.

I've heard about this problem, but after a quick Google image search, all I see are beach photos of trash and some close-ups of floating plastic. The biggest pile I saw was about the size of a VW bug, looked fishing floats and hoses. Probably my search wasn't good enough, but ya'd think something the size of Texas ought to pop up higher in the images. Various descriptions cause me to imagine it as an endless sheet of disgusting waste.

Seems like it might end up causing a believability problem if the people publicizing this don't show the actual pile out in the ocean. One of the oft-repeated sayings in forums across the internet is "pics, or it didn't happen".

DaveM

Explorer
Wow. We really need to find something that breaks down better than plastic to use in the future. Awareness helps, but its always nice to prevent some of it with a better substance.
I wonder what scientists will come up with in the future?

In the future? I think it was George Washington Carver who invented a way to use either peanuts or soybeans as a base for plastic. Whats old is new again!

S

Scenic WonderRunner

I want to make it very Clear that This Thread is a very Serious Thread!

This problem is very close to my heart!

Actually it's very serious for the survival of our Planet!

I began to fly to and visit the Hawaiian Islands from the age of 6 months old!

I consider the Hawaiian islands my true home. My Family home is still there.

I learned how to swim in the Pacific Ocean off Waikiki as a very young boy. I played on the sand, countless hours in front of the beautiful Pink Royal Hawaiian Hotel with total views of Diamond Head with no vertical obstructions!

I learned how to surf at the very young age of 7 years old. I loved the smell of the clean ocean!

Moved full time to Honolulu at the age of 9. Bought my first Duke Kahanumoku 9' 6" surfboard with paper route money I earned on my own, after long hours of hard work! Got to shake the hand of the Duke, and talk with him, when I bought my very first surfboard.

Surfed off Waikiki, Diamond Head and all around Oahu for years.

Watched the sea and reef change in my lifetime.

The purpose of this thread is to bring awareness to the problem facing our oceans. And to help everyone consider how they can help our most vital resource.

Thank you for taking the time to read this thread and consider how you may help.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Scenic WonderRunner

I Promise......

My Recycle bin is Always more Full than my Garbage bin!

I never have more than two small grocery bags of garbage to go out per week. I don't even buy garbage bags! I recycle my grocery bags, into garbage bags.

I have Never bought a plastic water bottle in my life! What a waste! What an overpriced joke!

When ever I walk the beach.....I will pick up every piece of trash I find, along my walk.

I have a water filter on my Refrigerator for drinking water, and I reuse my own bottles! I fill them up with my clean filtered in house water.

Way back in the 1970's....I remember telling my Mom to shut off the water at the Kitchen Sink! I would even walk up behind her and shut it off! I told her there will be a water shortage one day! We need to conserve!

And I reuse and recycle.

S

Scenic WonderRunner

More Plastic in the Landfill!

I'm Not Impressed!

If Everyone Cared....

New ketchup packet allows for dunking or squeezing.

capt.661adcb68c8940949293037aff9b67df.heinz_ketchup_nybz129.jpg

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100204/ap_on_bi_ge/us_heinz_ketchup

By SARAH SKIDMORE, AP Food Industry Writer Sarah Skidmore, Ap Food Industry Writer – Thu Feb 4, 6:11 pm ET

For decades there was only one way to use the humble ketchup packet, and it was messy. Now, fast-food lovers have a choice: the traditional squeeze play — or the option to dunk.

You want fries with that, in the minivan? No problem.

The new ketchup pack, unveiled Thursday by H.J. Heinz Co., is shaped like a shallow cup. The top can be peeled back for dipping, or the end can be torn off for squeezing. It holds three times as much ketchup as a traditional packet.

Customers at a McDonald's in Covington, Ky., said they would welcome a redesign.

"You use up a lot of ketchup now with the packets, I always get extra ones," said Skyler McDermott, 29. "Maybe now you won't have to use your teeth to open them."

Heinz struggled for years to develop a container that lets diners dip or squeeze, and to produce it at a cost acceptable to its restaurant customers.

"The packet has long been the bane of our consumers," said Dave Ciesinski, vice president of Heinz Ketchup. "The biggest complaint is there is no way to dip and eat it on-the-go."

Designers found that what worked at a table didn't work where many people use ketchup packets: in the car. So two years ago, Heinz bought a used minivan for the design team members so they could give their ideas a real road test.

The team studied what each passenger needed. The driver wanted something that could sit on the armrest. Passengers wanted the choice of squeezing or dunking. Moms everywhere wanted a packet that held enough ketchup for the meal and didn't squirt onto clothes so easily.

Heinz is rolling out the new packs this fall at select fast-food restaurants nationwide. It will continue to sell the traditional packets.

Whether restaurants buy the new packets will depend on cost, experts say.

"One of the top uses of ketchup in this country is on french fries," said Harry Balzer, vice president of the research firm NPD Group. "One of the patterns of behavior in this difficult climate that continues to do OK is ordering and eating in your car."

The company said it is still working out prices with its customers. But the new packet should cost only a little more, even though it holds much more ketchup.

Heinz is by far the biggest ketchup maker. About half of its ketchup is sold in stores and the other half is sold to the food service industry through its exclusive contracts with chains like Burger King and Wendy's.

McDonald's, the nation's largest burger chain, does only limited business with Heinz.

Heinz sells more than 11 billion ketchup packets every year. But neither the ketchup maker nor the major chains would say who plans to carry the new design.

Morningstar restaurant analyst R.J. Hottovy said if restaurants do adopt the design, the transition will likely be gradual.

"It has to be proven that this is something that saves money on the behalf of restaurants or cuts down on waste," he said. "It looks interesting, but ultimately you have to provide something of value to the restaurants."

Customers may force the issue.

Rants about the messy packs have helped spawn hundreds of anti-ketchup-packet groups on Facebook.

Matt Kurtz, a 22-year-old student in New York, has drawn 269 members to the group he started after he ripped open a packet too quickly and spilled it on his jeans while on a road trip two years ago.

"That's when I said 'There has to be a better way.'"

These issues come as no surprise to Heinz's Ciesinski. "We created the packet in 1968," he said. "Consumer complaints started around 1969."

___

AP Business Writer Dan Sewell in Cincinnati contributed to this report.

Last edited by a moderator:

photoman

Explorer
12 Reasons To Stop Drinking Bottled Water....

On a weekly basis, 37,800 18-wheelers are driving around the country delivering water.

It can take nearly 7 times the amount of water in the bottle to actually make the bottle itself.

.....read on

I understand this is an important subject for you and I agree that many things are not being done. However it is important to be sure the information you post is coming from viable and reputable sources. That is the biggest knock against efforts of conservation, protection, and saving anything.

Aquafina.com provides information about their product which refutes several items listed in that link.

http://www.aquafina.com/

I agree a product needs to replace plastic. Aluminum and steel are far more recycleable than plastic and even paper but the cost and energy required to produce initial products is very high. There is also a long history and example of wastes from these types of products.

Change is hindered by education but more so by economics.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior