Mid-size vs Full-size truck setup

wirenut

Adventurer
With your first child on the way I wouldn't be spending much money on a camping rig unless you are quite wealthy.
Babies are expensive. Camping with a baby is not fun. Your wife is going to need a reasonable vehicle to use to take the baby to the doctor, pick up groceries, etc.
Get something for your wife to drive that gets good mileage and is easy to get a car seat in and out. Your camping rig can be a cheap beater because it won't get used much.
Yes, I have 3 kids. Prior to getting married I had a pop-top truck camper with no bathroom. After I got married I had a hardside truck camper with a dry bath. That was okay with 2 kids but we sold it after the third was born. She's now 7 and we're just getting back into camping with a 34' travel trailer. Last weekend was our first outing with all 5 of us and the dog. It was kind of small.
Having a family is an adventure but I think it's a different one than your overland rig choice is planning for.

Kingsize24

With your first child on the way I wouldn't be spending much money on a camping rig unless you are quite wealthy.
Babies are expensive. Camping with a baby is not fun. Your wife is going to need a reasonable vehicle to use to take the baby to the doctor, pick up groceries, etc.
Get something for your wife to drive that gets good mileage and is easy to get a car seat in and out. Your camping rig can be a cheap beater because it won't get used much.
Yes, I have 3 kids. Prior to getting married I had a pop-top truck camper with no bathroom. After I got married I had a hardside truck camper with a dry bath. That was okay with 2 kids but we sold it after the third was born. She's now 7 and we're just getting back into camping with a 34' travel trailer. Last weekend was our first outing with all 5 of us and the dog. It was kind of small.
Having a family is an adventure but I think it's a different one than your overland rig choice is planning for.
34' being small is ridiculous IMO, but I guess that's an option like anything else. 🤪

UglyViking

I'll plus 1 on that size trailer being small, but not for the reason you're probably thinking. I'm guessing that 34' trailer may have been similar to my old trailer (32' single non-camp slide). With 2 dogs and just one kiddo (about a year and a half old when we got it, and 3 when we sold it) it's exceptionally hard to organize for nap times and still use the RV. Kiddos (mine at least) are sensitive to noise, so even the dogs moving around on the "hardwood" can cause enough noise to wake up the kiddo.

When everyone is awake, it's more than enough, when nap time comes it's tricky. With 2 kids, it was just a non-starter. (hence why we upgraded, plus other reasons)

Again, tent camping, overlanding, travel trailer, 5th wheel, all different types of "camp" with pros and cons.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I'll plus 1 on that size trailer being small, but not for the reason you're probably thinking. I'm guessing that 34' trailer may have been similar to my old trailer (32' single non-camp slide). With 2 dogs and just one kiddo (about a year and a half old when we got it, and 3 when we sold it) it's exceptionally hard to organize for nap times and still use the RV. Kiddos (mine at least) are sensitive to noise, so even the dogs moving around on the "hardwood" can cause enough noise to wake up the kiddo.

When everyone is awake, it's more than enough, when nap time comes it's tricky. With 2 kids, it was just a non-starter. (hence why we upgraded, plus other reasons)

Again, tent camping, overlanding, travel trailer, 5th wheel, all different types of "camp" with pros and cons.
Our kids were desensitized to noise as babies, lol
TV turned up high and vacuuming happened during nap times. Got to a point they could sleep through anything.
Thing is now our youngest baby is 17 now and she sleeps through her alarms... lol

We started out the 4 of us + dog in a small Bon Air trailer. It worked... I guess.

2nd trailer was still a tent trailer but bigger, had a slide and a wet bath, bigger beds and a couch that turned into a bed as well. It was better.

3rd trailer was a 22' hardwall (no slide) with single bunks. That worked even better until the kids outgrew the single bunks.

4th trailer is a 27' with a big slide. This has been our best set up. Funny though, now the kids really don't come camping with us that much. This one is a couples unit with a rear bath. If it's our 2 kids, they sleep on the pull out sofa. If it's the 2 kids + eldest daughters boyfriend the two of them prefer to tent it and youngest daughters sleep in the trailer. (Oldest daughter's BF like the overlanding thing and has a built Colorado he likes to wheel)

1074146_10201391520137524_1786215970_o.jpg
13575775_10209173573163986_1911230519143758850_o.jpg
IMG_0051.JPG
kayaks.jpg

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Well, a 34'er with 5 people only gives each 6.8 feet of space, less than 50 sq ft per person of living space, by HUD standards that is sub-standard living conditions, especially for children. You'd think Child Protective Services would be all over that mistreatment ignoring silly claims that the children's conditions were a recreational event. If the dog is there animal protective services may get involved too! But, I guess it beats tent camping as I was abused as a child by my parents.

My travel trailer is only 21.5 " or almost 172 sq ft. of living space for two adults and a dog.

But, I have no idea what that has to do with a full size vs. medium size rig, other than needing a full size to tow with.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
But, I have no idea what that has to do with a full size vs. medium size rig, other than needing a full size to tow with.
That's about it. Kids and pets like space. My point above, was you can def camp with 4 people + dog in a smaller set up.

See our Bon Air trailer that was originally towed by a Ford Explorer.

475915_4234666992491_397823038_o.jpg

The Explorer got cramped loaded with gear, the 4 of us + dog. So, it was changed out for the Suburban in the pic above. That made the drive to the campsites much more enjoyable for all of us.

Everyone in our family enjoyed camping more and wanted to be out longer with a little more space.

Honestly, I didn't want to move up from our 22 footer.

I wanted to stay that size but change to a couples trailer and downsize the truck to a midsized thinking it would just be the two of us camping for the most part.

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
@jaywo

Nissan Titan XD Pro-X. Comes with a locker and 2000lb payload. They are between 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton.

They are affordable yet simple and comfortable. @PirateMcGee has one.
Check out his thread under Nissan.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Well my kids are screwed then. 7ftx8ft trailer is all they will ever get. 😂

My kids would be jealous of your kids 😆 All they get is an REI tent with a partially busted zipper.
Are the kids still young? If so you eventually may want more space. For your own sanity... :ROFLMAO:

Wife and I would step out of our trailer for 5 minutes, walk back in and it looked like a grenade blew up in there.

Clothes, make up, hair products, food, dishes, games all scattered helter skelter.

Kingsize24

Are the kids still young? If so you eventually may want more space. For your own sanity... :ROFLMAO:

Wife and I would step out of our trailer for 5 minutes, walk back in and it looked like a grenade blew up in there.

Clothes, make up, hair products, food, dishes, games all scattered helter skelter.

That's why they have their own trailer and we have our own truck camper. They are so messy it drives me batshit crazy. 😂😂😂

I can't camp in peace like that. Lol

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
You "parental types" should consider going camping alone as a couple and just take your dog, dogs love to go and drop the kids off at the grandparents place!

If kids want to camp out, put them in the backyard.

Simple solution, no additional tents, less food, no toys (unless momma wants Her's), more quiet time in nature as it should be. Kids shouldn't go camping with mom and dad until they are at least ten years old, dogs can be much younger.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Simple solution, no additional tents, less food, no toys (unless momma wants Her's), more quiet time in nature as it should be. Kids shouldn't go camping with mom and dad until they are at least ten years old, dogs can be much younger.
:ROFLMAO: Did you think I was talking about camping with kids under 10 when I referred to messy kids ? Have you not camped with teenage children? lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman