Mid-size vs Full-size truck setup

Furaites

I have driven and owned a Nissan Frontiet, and a chevy colorado. I had an extended drive (3 weeks) on a ford ranger.

Brother in law, father in law and friends have various full sizes(f150, ram 1500 and a tundra).

ALL the midsizes were worse fuel economy then the full sizes.

Also, besided the Nisssn our son was not comfortable in the back due to a lack of space...he is 8

seeNik48

Adventurer
I agree with the full sized option and a trailer. If your wife will be nursing, she will want a comfortable space. Also, although babies sleep a lot, post partum, your wife will be nursing every 3-4 hours or so and will want to nap herself. Have grand adventures together.

ETA: we had a Tacoma with 6’ bed with Four Wheel Camper. Our kid is grown but we took our 60 pound dog with us. Dogs and kids require extra stuff so about equal. We loved the camper but it was just too small. We still have the Tacoma for town driving but bought a ¾ ton truck and a pop up truck camper. We also got another dog and now we all have enough room.

Last edited:

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Using latest model information, at least that I could find. All trucks are crew cab for sake of consistency unless noted.

ModelBed lengthTurning radiusBetter or worse than Ram 2500
Ram 25006.4'23.9'Same
Ford F-2506.75'24.8'0.9' Worse
GM 2500~6.75'26.4'2.5' Worse
Ram 15006.4'23.8'0.1' Better
Ram 15005.5'22.6'1.3' Better
Ford F-1506.5'25.6'1.7' Worse
Ford F-1505.5'23.9'Same
GM 15006.75' (I think GM uses the same beds in HD and SD)24.8'0.9' Worse
GM 1500~5.5'23.1'0.8' Better
GMC AT4/AT4X 15006.75'25.4'1.5' Worse
GMC AT4/AT4X 1500~5.5'23.6'0.3' Better
Toyota Tundra (Double Cab)6.5'24.3'0.4' Worse
Toyota Tundra (Crew Cab)5.5'24.3'0.4' Worse

So while it's not a lot in most cases, it is basically worse across the board, except the Ram 1500 and GM 1500 short bed. One call out is that the GMC trucks appear to have different turning radius between the "bade model" and AT4 and AT4X trucks. The real thing I'm trying to call out here is that, if you compare a CC >6' bed, the Ram 2500 has the best turning radius, by a little to a lot. You see a ton of Tundra builds for overland, so if a Tundra can hit the trails, and the Ram 2500 is roughly half a foot better turning radius, it can handle it as well.

Do with this information what you will.

I think what this means in reality is that some trucks can turn in one direction a few more inches before backing up a couple feet for a second try.

Now, look at the wheelbase in inches. Next, what are the largest tire sizes on stock wheels? Payload? HP/Tranny/Towing?

I never thought of buying a vehicle based on its turning radius.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I think what this means in reality is that some trucks can turn in one direction a few more inches before backing up a couple feet for a second try.

Now, look at the wheelbase in inches. Next, what are the largest tire sizes on stock wheels? Payload? HP/Tranny/Towing?

Wheelbase in a 2500 / 3500 Ram crewcab 6.5 bed is 149". My F150 SuperCrew 6.5 bed is 157". This is due to the Ram's shorter cab.

When towing, the longer wheelbase is nice. When maneuvering a trailer to park / back-up, it sucks.

I run 35" tires on a 2" level on my F150. I believe a Ram HD can run 35" tires with no mods.

On a daily basis most 1/2 tons will get better fuel mileage than a gas pot HD truck. While towing, it may even out.

Payload would be better on an HD truck of course.

I'll 2nd @Furaites. When comparing the midsize vehicles I've owned. Fuel milage was close to my full sizes.

Now with the turbo 4's coming out now, that may be a different story. But, bear in mind some midsizers come with small gas tanks.

I think Ranger were (not sure if the new ones are the same) 19 gallons. If hear range has been an issue with them.

UglyViking

Turning radius is a pretty good indicator of general maneuverability on tight trails. Wheelbase is important for sure, but generally speaking the two are pretty closely intertwined. For example, in the midsize market the gladiator has one of the longest wheelbases, and it is partly the reason for A) it's god awful turning radius, and B) it's excellent towing numbers.

The thing I'm trying to call out here is not that the Ram HD is somehow superior to other options (although cards on the table I own one, so obviously I'm a fan), it's that people view these HD trucks as huge in comparison to fullsize, and even midsize trucks. They are really not that much larger, wheelbase it really where you get punished most on the midsize to HD jump, but you're well rewarded for the trade off.

I believe a Ram HD can run 35" tires with no mods.
Ram HD can run 35s on stock wheels, and 37s on aftermarket wheels with the correct offset. No lift, level, or other mods needed. Just for sake of completeness here.

This all said, I feel we may be getting away from OPs question, which at this point I'm not sure anyone can answer as it seems like there is clearly an answer that is already desired? Unless I'm misreading it.

jaywo

This all said, I feel we may be getting away from OPs question, which at this point I'm not sure anyone can answer as it seems like there is clearly an answer that is already desired? Unless I'm misreading it.

The question was mid size vs full size for my use case. The answer from people was a loud « Full size ». To which I said I am now convinced, and waiting for the right truck, with my first choice being a F-150 Tremor.

A lot of people also said I should look at trailers.
Although many people recommended to go for a trailer, I have got few if not zero recommandation for a specific model. I did some research and so far what I see is that it’s much more expensive than the pop up camper route for the features I can get with a popup, granted with added benefits but also added compromise. So I am not convince at this option but I continue to look into it.

That’s where I am at. My initial question has been answered. If people want to debate wheelbase on HD truck in this thread I have no issue with it. If someone who reads this and has an opinion to add to the original topic he is welcome to do so as well.

Thanks again to all who contributed.

deserteagle56

Adventurer
A lot of people also said I should look at trailers.
Although many people recommended to go for a trailer, I have got few if not zero recommandation for a specific model. I did some research and so far what I see is that it’s much more expensive than the pop up camper route for the features I can get with a popup, granted with added benefits but also added compromise. So I am not convince at this option but I continue to look into it.

As I've said previously, trailers limit you as to where you can go. I know, I tow all the time and run into this problem so when I have a trailer hooked I make sure I stay on well maintained roads.

Here's a pic I took when out and about two days ago. Pic may not look like it but that ditch is 5' deep if it is an inch. There was a bypass out through the brush about 50 yards up but there was no way you could take a trailer, even a short one, across the bypass without tearing it up. To turn around with a trailer even in this flat location would mean dragging it out through the brush (which rips out your wiring) and boulders. And there were multiple washouts like this on this road - some running a pretty good stream of water yet.
P1006798erexpforums4-4-24.jpg

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
A Jumping Jack trailer was mentioned and it will go anywhere a vehicle can go.

IMO, a JJ trailer isn't anything I'd want to live out of for 6 months, but I've had worse.

My utility trailer is similar to the JJ, heavy steel frame 4x6 bed with outboard fenders, it could have fold out platforms on the sides like a JJ. Point is, I doubt you could hurt it dragging it over rocks or through brush, if the tow vehicle goes through or over anything so would the trailer.

That kind of trailer with a tent mounted is fine for camping, nicer than a RTT, IMO, and that JJ arrangement could sleep six. Such trailers can be turned around and maneuvered by hand, light weight to tow.

There are many solutions available, costing say $1,000/1,500 upward, as to vehicles, saw a clean 1990 Subaru AWD van for sale near Rogers, Ar. that would make a great little camper for up to 5 people, (two bunks on the sides and one in the center), and they were asking $7,000.00!

Now, my Coachmen travel trailer is a different story.......

rruff

Explorer
You see a ton of Tundra builds for overland, so if a Tundra can hit the trails, and the Ram 2500 is roughly half a foot better turning radius, it can handle it as well.
I think you are looking at the new Tundra... most of the ones that are built for overlanding are 2nd gen which have a 22.0' turning radius. The DC 8' bed like mine, has a 24.5'... nearly the same as the new shortbed.

UglyViking

I think you are looking at the new Tundra... most of the ones that are built for overlanding are 2nd gen which have a 22.0' turning radius. The DC 8' bed like mine, has a 24.5'... nearly the same as the new shortbed.
Yeah, I am specifically talking about the new Tundra. Every truck listed is a truck you can go buy off the lot new, as that appeared to be the OPs interest and I didn't feel like it was relevant to list out every possible truck made since 1990 (half joke).

It's crazy to me how much larger the turning radius on the new Tundra grew to. I'm interested in seeing how folks like the new platform over the years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998