Mid-size vs Full-size truck setup

You made the right decision going with full size over midsize for sure, but like others have mentioned I would really look into a 3/4 ton Ram if I were you, the 6.4 is a strong power plant and the 8 speed is one of the best transmissions available today. You may lose a little bit of cab space but it is still comfortable for full size adults, but the extra 1000+lbs of payload will be appreciated with a camper in the bed plus the stuff families need to go camping. The extra 9” of bed space will also be appreciated by everyone in the camper.

I purchased a 19 3.5 f150 last year after having a very similar debate, my truck is stock other than a level and 33” bfg ko2s and I average about 17 daily driving with a camper and additional weight I’ve seen guys say they’re getting 14ish which is almost identical to what people with built out 6.4 rams are getting.

If I were to do it all over again I would’ve ended up with a gas Ram 2500. I really like my f150 but I would give up a few mpg for the extra bed space and payload in a heartbeat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jaywo

You made the right decision going with full size over midsize for sure, but like others have mentioned I would really look into a 3/4 ton Ram if I were you, the 6.4 is a strong power plant and the 8 speed is one of the best transmissions available today. You may lose a little bit of cab space but it is still comfortable for full size adults, but the extra 1000+lbs of payload will be appreciated with a camper in the bed plus the stuff families need to go camping. The extra 9” of bed space will also be appreciated by everyone in the camper.

I purchased a 19 3.5 f150 last year after having a very similar debate, my truck is stock other than a level and 33” bfg ko2s and I average about 17 daily driving with a camper and additional weight I’ve seen guys say they’re getting 14ish which is almost identical to what people with built out 6.4 rams are getting.

If I were to do it all over again I would’ve ended up with a gas Ram 2500. I really like my f150 but I would give up a few mpg for the extra bed space and payload in a heartbeat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s a 20% fuel consumption difference and from research I just made it looks like built out with a camper people are definitely below 14 with daily driving use. More like 12-13, which is a 30% difference with the F-150.

I admit it also scares me to daily drive in the city we live in with a bigger vehicle. The Bronco sometimes feels big in some downtown parking lots. The F-150 will be a big step up, and the Ram even more.

That being said, since it’s been recommended, I am gonna look at deals to see. What Trim should I be looking at? 2500 HD Rebel? Or Power Wagon?
It looks like a Redesigned version will be announced this year. The 1500 is completely revamped for 2025 model year and has already been announced.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
That’s a 20% fuel consumption difference and from research I just made it looks like built out with a camper people are definitely below 14 with daily driving use. More like 12-13, which is a 30% difference with the F-150.

I admit it also scares me to daily drive in the city we live in with a bigger vehicle. The Bronco sometimes feels big in some downtown parking lots. The F-150 will be a big step up, and the Ram even more.

That being said, since it’s been recommended, I am gonna look at deals to see. What Trim should I be looking at? 2500 HD Rebel? Or Power Wagon?
It looks like a Redesigned version will be announced this year. The 1500 is completely revamped for 2025 model year and has already been announced.
Rebel or even just a basic Big Horn. If you want something with all the toys, you could look at a Laramie as well. Really up to you how loaded you want in the truck.

Power Wagon is nice since it comes off road ready out of the box. But, because of the off road biased suspension, payload suffers. Payload will be equivalent to most 1/2 tons. One difference between 2500 and 3500 Rams is the 2500 has rear coils, the 3500 has leafs. Same size truck but the 3500 has more payload so you would have more capacity for stuff.

As we've accumulated stuff, I wish I went the 1 ton route as I'm close to maxing out my 1,777 lbs payload on my F150 and there are more toys I wish I could bring, lol (Bikes and Kayaks)

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
The 2025 Ram 1500 will no longer have a V8 engine. Stellantis is following Ford's lead so that new Ram will have a twin-turbo 6 cylinder (but straight 6 instead of V6). I wouldn't want to be a beta tester for a new engine.
It's been out for a couple years in the Grand Wagoneer. But, i don't know why Ram didn't do like Ford and still offer a V8 for those that prefer them.

I think Ford still sells plenty of 5.0's. Initially the Tremor only came with an EcoBoost but then the 5.0 option showed up the following year.

rruff

Explorer
I don't think driving in the city is going to be fun in any of these. Don't know the particulars, but often two vehicles makes more sense. A smallish hybrid being ideal for city use, or even EV.

Dougnuts

I don't mean to ruffle any feathers, but I wouldn't touch a Ram with a 10' pole. I don't think they fixed the lifter issue at startup, did they?

Don't know the particulars, but often two vehicles makes more sense. A smallish hybrid being ideal for city use, or even EV.

I have a 2023 Camry Hybrid as a daily driver and the F150 gets saved for truck stuff and road trips. It truly is the best of both worlds....the car nearly pays for itself in fuel and wear savings. Maybe I should've purchased that F250 Tremor that I always recommend, but I was already spending $15k+ more than I had ever spent on a vehicle and I couldn't get over the mental block of going higher.

If I were driving a truck every day, I'd still have an F150, with a Tundra a distant second place.

UglyViking

I don't mean to ruffle any feathers, but I wouldn't touch a Ram with a 10' pole. I don't think they fixed the lifter issue at startup, did they?
Are you talking about the Hemi lifters or the Cummins hydraulic lifters? Either way, any engine that has some sort of cylinder deactivation is going to be subject to potential lifter issues, and any modern V8 has cylinder deactivation. Anything with hydraulic lifters is also susceptible to potential issues if you don't use the correct oil weights.
The biggest issues you hear about with the Hemi is related to cylinder deactivation, and I've not heard of much, so it's really just a dice roll like any V8. With the Cummins, the only issues I hear about are related to guys running 15w40 (old oil weight) because they refuse to change because "I used it with my old cummins for 400k miles and it was fine" regardless of the spec updates.

Sadly, with all these CAFE mandates, there is no free lunch. Luckily, any cylinder deactivation can be tuned out, and if you have a failure, or want to make sure you never do, you can easily swap lifters for non deactivation models. This is not anywhere near a need though.

Newer F-150s aren't without issue either though. While the new turbo engines are def cool, they have had their share of toothing issues and failures as well.

End of the day, you get to pick your poison I suppose.

Dougnuts

Are you talking about the Hemi lifters or the Cummins hydraulic lifters? Either way, any engine that has some sort of cylinder deactivation is going to be subject to potential lifter issues, and any modern V8 has cylinder deactivation. Anything with hydraulic lifters is also susceptible to potential issues if you don't use the correct oil weights.
The biggest issues you hear about with the Hemi is related to cylinder deactivation, and I've not heard of much, so it's really just a dice roll like any V8. With the Cummins, the only issues I hear about are related to guys running 15w40 (old oil weight) because they refuse to change because "I used it with my old cummins for 400k miles and it was fine" regardless of the spec updates.

Sadly, with all these CAFE mandates, there is no free lunch. Luckily, any cylinder deactivation can be tuned out, and if you have a failure, or want to make sure you never do, you can easily swap lifters for non deactivation models. This is not anywhere near a need though.

Newer F-150s aren't without issue either though. While the new turbo engines are def cool, they have had their share of toothing issues and failures as well.

End of the day, you get to pick your poison I suppose.

I'm talking about the Hemi. I agree with your assessment of cylinder deactivation, which is why I went with the turbo-6. Ford does it differently, but I have other concerns with deactivation than just lifters.

I'm relatively informed of the potential issues with Ford's 3.5TT, which vary by generation. It certainly is a pick your poison situation.

tacollie

Glamper

The 3/4 ton will always get bad mpgs. A F150 stock can get decent mpgs but on 35s with a premently mounted camper it's going to be closer to a 3/4 ton.

As for the city driving that's up to you. It is more work. It is harder finding parking spots. I'm used to it so it's not a big deal. A 3/4 isn't much bigger but it does feel bigger.

tacollie

Glamper

End of the day, you get to pick your poison I supp
Ford and Chevy don't use cylinder deactivation for 3/4+ trucks. It can be shut off on the RAMs. I think the issue with the 6.4 comes from high idle hours. I don't think it's a big issue for trucks that don't idle a lot. Since I was shopping used fleet trucks it was on my radar and it was part of why we didn't look very hard at RAMs.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
The 3/4 ton will always get bad mpgs. A F150 stock can get decent mpgs but on 35s with a premently mounted camper it's going to be closer to a 3/4 ton.

As for the city driving that's up to you. It is more work. It is harder finding parking spots. I'm used to it so it's not a big deal. A 3/4 isn't much bigger but it does feel bigger.
I'm getting 18 mpg on 35's with my F150 empty.

Agreed. Mine is a 157" wheelbase. A crew cab short box Super Duty will pretty much have the same foot print. Biggest difference is the SD is taller.

I usually park in the back of parking lots anyway. Even do that when I drive my wifes Bronco Sport.

Hopefully saves from door dings and I can get a few extra steps in haha

tacollie

Glamper
I'm getting 18 mpg on 35's with my F150 empty.

Agreed. Mine is a 157" wheelbase. A crew cab short box Super Duty will pretty much have the same foot print. Biggest difference is the SD is taller.

I usually park in the back of parking lots anyway. Even do that when I drive my wifes Bronco Sport.

Hopefully saves from door dings and I can get a few extra steps in haha
I get 14-15 on 35s empty. 11 with my 2000lbs camper ruining what little aerodynamics a F250 has.

Last edited:

UglyViking

Surely that isn't true of the 3/4+ engines?
Ford and Chevy don't use cylinder deactivation for 3/4+ trucks. It can be shut off on the RAMs. I think the issue with the 6.4 comes from high idle hours. I don't think it's a big issue for trucks that don't idle a lot. Since I was shopping used fleet trucks it was on my radar and it was part of why we didn't look very hard at RAMs.
I guess I learned something new today. I knew it was the case for the Dodge trucks, didn't realize that GM and Ford HD trucks didn't have it. Thanks for the clarification.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears