Military Series

phxtoad

Adventurer
IMG_3388.jpg

Saw this at Helo Day at Flacon Field last weekend. A note said it was a 1980 Military Series. I haven't a clue, but I wanted it real bad. :ylsmoke:

Todd

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
Yep. When I lived in Cyprus in the early 1980s the British Military bases in Nicosia and Episkopi were lousy with them. It's when I developed my first interest in Series Land Rovers vs the M38A1s the Canadian Military was bombing around in at the time.

greenmeanie

Adventurer
Nice truck. You didn't find out who owns it? There's not a lot of series in Phoenix and I've never seen that one around. In fact I think in 5 years I've only ever passed one other series in mine.

Snagger

Explorer
The body work looks very straight for ex-MoD, and the paint is normally applied with dirty brushes by squaddies on punishment, so it looks as though it has been stripped and repainted. It looks very good. If they can get a green canvas it'll look even better.

diesel_jim

A quick glance it looks like a 109" FFR (judging by the HD front spring mounts) but it's missing the TUAAM boxes on the wings and the side antenna mounts.

the 109" FFRs were all 24volt (lights and engine too) and were full military spec (like the sidelights/indicators that the above one has), so it looks like it may have been restored and partially done in military spec, but without the aerials etc.

Looks like it's towing an Australian spec trailer as well.

greenmeanie

Adventurer
That could just be a 12V GS. The GS has all the military mods but a 12V electric system which is almost the same as the civvy standard except for the lighting circuits. A FFR is just a GS with a 24V electric system, a big alternator, ground straps everywhere and the various racks and fittings for the radios. A lot of FFR trucks were just used as GS. THe one thing that can be said is that it is not a CL.

As was stated it has been somewhat civilianised with the easiest spot being the Defender type wing mirrors. It is a nice truck. In many ways I wish I had that military chassis to slide under my 109 SW.

Snagger

Explorer
As Greenmeanie said, not all MoD 109s were FFR, but the vast majority had the WD (War Department) chassis with the long spring hangers and shackles, twin forward mounted fuel tanks, straight rear cross member and bolt-on gearbox cross member.

It wouldn't be an easy fit under a SW body. The tabs on the front-of-tub outriggers could easily be moved to meet the SW body work, but the big problem would be the fuel tanks. There are no mountings for a rear tank on a WD chassis, and the front tankswon't fit the SW body work because the second row footwell occupies the space needed for the upper rear corner of the tanks (the hard top/rag top tub floor is higher). You'd have to fabricate rear tank mountings or use 109 ambulance front tanks. (shorter than standard front tanks for the very same reason). It's all do-able. I had my new chassis built by Marsland with WD suspension mounts, gearbox cross member and front fuel tank outriggers, but with a standard rear cross member and fuel tank mountings to get the best of both worlds.

phxtoad

Adventurer
Greenmeanie,

Not sure of his name, but he's prominent in the local military vehicle circles around here - I believe most of the rigs there were his. Real nice guy and obviously very cool toys.

I could imagine being happily uncomfortable bouncing down the road in that beast...

Here's other snaps:

IMG_3409.jpg

IMG_3391.jpg

IMG_3386.jpg

IMG_3414.jpg

telwyn

Adventurer
As long as we're talking Military Rovers, can't help but post some pics of my 1982 Lightweight Series III. This is the original Gulf War paint job on it although the first war then ended so quickly it never left the UK for Iraq.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 77
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 56
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 43
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 34
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 36

greenmeanie

Adventurer
It wouldn't be an easy fit under a SW body. The tabs on the front-of-tub outriggers could easily be moved to meet the SW body work, but the big problem would be the fuel tanks. There are no mountings for a rear tank on a WD chassis, and the front tankswon't fit the SW body work because the second row footwell occupies the space needed for the upper rear corner of the tanks (the hard top/rag top tub floor is higher). You'd have to fabricate rear tank mountings or use 109 ambulance front tanks. (shorter than standard front tanks for the very same reason). It's all do-able. I had my new chassis built by Marsland with WD suspension mounts, gearbox cross member and front fuel tank outriggers, but with a standard rear cross member and fuel tank mountings to get the best of both worlds.

I hear you Snagger. I think I would just plumb for the SW rear tank and add the mounts for that plus all the different tabs required for the SW body. Have grinder and welder so will make it work. I'll take that for adequate daily use and make up the rest with jerry's if I need to.

Ultimately my biggest problem is that my wife forbade me from doing a chassis up build. I left the rear tub on just for effect. I'll just have to wait for this terrible desert climate to rust out the civvy one sometime in the next 40-60 years and ten justify it to her.

That man is either single or has an understanding wife! I think I could satisfy my green virus with a Stolly to keep my 101 company.

Snagger

Explorer
Ultimately my biggest problem is that my wife forbade me from doing a chassis up build. I left the rear tub on just for effect. I'll just have to wait for this terrible desert climate to rust out the civvy one sometime in the next 40-60 years and ten justify it to her.

That man is either single or has an understanding wife! I think I could satisfy my green virus with a Stolly to keep my 101 company.
My wife bought me a lot of the parts for my 109 rebuild, including the new chassis. She has just green-lit the restoration of my soft-dash Range Rover Classic (we had a look at some 2007 model 90 SWs as an alternative, but she prefers the RR), and she wants me to rebuild (to original factory spec and paint) an air portable for her as a weekend jolly driver (pub lunches and country lanes). She's also up for us buying another house in the future with a stable block, barn or whatever that would be a decent workshop, so that I could restore some classic English sports cars. I don't know whether that means that she really loves me, or whether she doesn't want me going out at the weekends and evenings!;)

Yorker

Adventurer
There are no mountings for a rear tank on a WD chassis, and the front tankswon't fit the SW body work because the second row footwell occupies the space needed for the upper rear corner of the tanks (the hard top/rag top tub floor is higher). You'd have to fabricate rear tank mountings or use 109 ambulance front tanks. (shorter than standard front tanks for the very same reason)..

wait is that absolutely the case in the ambulances? I am 99% sure the tanks on my ambulance are regular tanks off of a GS and they don't foul on anything withthe ambulance body.

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
Nice, exMod... Here is my old civilian Series III 88 that I loved. I always loved the look of the sticker on the bonnet so I imitated it... :)

attachment.php

Attachments

• front2.jpg
    front2.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 129

Snagger

Explorer
wait is that absolutely the case in the ambulances? I am 99% sure the tanks on my ambulance are regular tanks off of a GS and they don't foul on anything withthe ambulance body.
I can't speak for all ambulances, but certainly some of them have that issue. there may be different bodies with different rear floor levels.

Yorker

Adventurer
I can't speak for all ambulances, but certainly some of them have that issue. there may be different bodies with different rear floor levels.
Hmm I am going to have to go crawl under it and take a look now. ;) Not that it matters much as it will be rebuilt on a 109 SW chassis.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior