Military Series

Snagger

Explorer
The problem is the level of the body immediately behind the seat base. On utility 109s (such as most MoD vehicles), the area of the tub floor between that bolting flange and the tub bulkhead (the shelf where the seat belt anchors are) is level with the back edge of the seat base, about 3/4" above the tub floor. On a SW, it drops vertically for the second row foot well. Certainly, some ambulances have a drop here in the floor level for the ambulance nody, but some may have a matching level to clear the fuel tanks.

The work-round is to have fuel tanks with the corner notched out or to have shorter fuel tanks with long rear brackets to reach the same outrigger span.

I'd be interested to hear what you find, Matt. I've never had a close look at an ambulance, though my friend has worked on plenty, including coming a cropper when trying to replace the fuel tanks on an old one. 88s use tanks of the same dimensions, the variation being the filler neck, and they don't have that ledge btween the bulkhead and seatbase, and Camel Trophy D110s had a single Series military tank under the right side front seat (or at least some of the late ones did - the one that was on the Alps trip with me, cracking the forward mounting outrigger off road).

Last edited:

Yorker

Adventurer
Ahhhhh ok that explains it then- mine originally was a GS then was made into an ambulance- that is probably why I have the unmodified tanks.

Andre- that 88" looks familiar!
seriesIII2.jpg

There is one of my first ones, I later gave it to a friend of mine to restore.

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
I was going to say... What is the possibility?! It came from Woodstock NY with a blown transmission... I think this was 2000. There are some differences I can see, clearly a different vehicle but you had me for a second!

diesel_jim

That could just be a 12V GS. The GS has all the military mods but a 12V electric system which is almost the same as the civvy standard except for the lighting circuits. A FFR is just a GS with a 24V electric system, a big alternator, ground straps everywhere and the various racks and fittings for the radios. A lot of FFR trucks were just used as GS. THe one thing that can be said is that it is not a CL.

As was stated it has been somewhat civilianised with the easiest spot being the Defender type wing mirrors. It is a nice truck. In many ways I wish I had that military chassis to slide under my 109 SW.

:oops::oops: I totally forgot about the GS's!! yup, you'r right, looks like one of those.

I used to have a CL.... biggest pile of poo i ever owned. soft top, painted in cammo, but civvy lights and chassis. Rusted away in the end!

Yorker

Adventurer
I was going to say... What is the possibility?! It came from Woodstock NY with a blown transmission... I think this was 2000. There are some differences I can see, clearly a different vehicle but you had me for a second!

heh! I had to look twice at your picture too to make sure it wasn't the same one! Those poppy red ones all start to look alike after they knock around a bit and the paint oxidizes. Yours wasn't sold by the Morris Garage originally by any chance? it would have had a black oval sticker saying that on the back right of the tub.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior