Military surplus trailer auction sticker shock!

Teardropper

You know... learning to weld isn't that big of a challenge. Here's my wife working on her first project. A chassis for a teardrop (a wedding present for her son).

MoGib3e.jpg

Tony

VANMAN

Observer
My advice.....relax.take your time...dont rush....bought a pristine M101A3 for $1200 and Just bought an absolutely perfect as can be stock
M416 $2000...they are out there

Buffalobwana

Observer
I'd argue that for the vast majority of us, a $900 utility trailer from the local Walmart would be more than sufficient.
It’s kind of hard to put those two together in the same class. The 1101/1102’s are comparing a McLaren to Kia. I’ll grant the $900 trailer is best for certain applications, but the 1101’s have their place.

Do you need it? Maybe not, but the resale value, Rustproof, bomb-proof, sheer toughness of an 1101 can not be ignored. They are sexy as hell, solid as they come and roomy. You can put some serious stuff on an 1101/2 base.

The brakes work. KISS approach. Chop the pintle off. Weld on a dropped channel mount 2” hitch and go.

If you can snag one for $1500 or so, it will only increase in value.

I have 3 of the 1101’s and two of the 101A2. I can’t bring myself to consider selling even one of them.

Buffalobwana

Observer
You might look for a 101A2. They weigh less, have a galvanized tub that is incredibly strong and they are narrower than an 1101 and longer.

I bought 4 of them and sold 2 for $1500 each. You can probably find one out there for this price (+/-).

You can’t swap hubs out on these trailers bc the axel is a 9k axle and nobody makes hubs to fit. Have to buy a new axle, cut off old shock mounts and weld on.

If I were building one, I’d strongly consider this option.

The prices have gone insane but people are back at work and prices are dropping. The ones with the tops, especially the hard tops are rediculous. Look for one with a flat tire or bad paint. Also, don't forget, the last item I bought on gov planet cost 60% more with fees and shipping. Make sure you have a good handle on that before you buy. And make sure you get the demil paperwork from them for the registration.

RagnarD

Adventurer
Yeah, the good days of building up .mil trailers was a decade ago. If doing a new build today, I would start from the ground up.

billiebob

My advice.....relax.take your time...dont rush....bought a pristine M101A3 for $1200 and Just bought an absolutely perfect as can be stock
M416 $2000...they are out there
This, buy it, don't bid on it.

Auctions always seem to attract a few idiots who must win and the seller is the only winner.
There are often deals thru private sales unless the seller just watched an auction.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998